PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the 8th Gen Civic Type R

feefam
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey guys i've been browsing around the forums for awhile now and i was wondering what do you guys think a bout these Civics? Value for money? the overall Pros and Cons to this car, im tossed in a knot right now in whether i should buy this car...

thanks in advance fellow OH members

Philip Lee
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
is 8th Gen the current model FN2R?

if so, it's an ok car now after the facelift as they have packed more kit in (most importantly the LSD). however i don't think it's very good value compared to its competitior like Golf GTI/Focus XR5/Impressa WRX etc etc.

from my view:
pros:
- it's a honda;
- looks (inside and out);
- storage space;
- vtec + high rev;
- nice gear shift;
- Championship White (for FL).

cons:
- slower than its competitior;
- rear suspension is a step backwards;
- stupid audio system making changing headunit a near impossible;
- understeer for cars without LSD;
- lost the classic type r qualities.

SaiHayashi
04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
however i don't think it's very good value compared to its competitior like Golf GTI/Focus XR5/Impressa WRX etc etc.
but these cars are ugly. :p

Philip Lee
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
but when does look have anything to do with value? haha

SaiHayashi
04-06-2009, 04:56 PM
but when does look have anything to do with value? haha

well i wouldnt want to buy a powerful car but looks like a piece of junk. :p
FN2 is so much fun to drive IMO

- stupid audio system making changing headunit a near impossible;
yes. thats why im planning to sell my dension unit and go thru all the trouble to change to a double DIN

feefam
04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I've actually grown to love the look of the car, oh and yeah i was talking about the FN2. And im also not after the new one, looking to trade in my evo 8 for an 07 model with some cash adjustment.

- understeer for cars without LSD;
wait, soo LSD is an option for this civic????

as for audio, im not really a big fan of crisp clear as long as its decent its a thumbs up for me.

andyhui01
04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I'll admit that I have grown to love the car as well... maybe being older now I can start to appreciate its Euro (more upmarket) qualities compared to the FD2R. After being in a "real typeR", the harshness and the NVH would be exhilarating for the first couple of weeks, but I have a strong feeling you wouldn't want it on a daily basis in your commute.

In an ideal world. It would be FD2R for Track and FN2R for the street... haha

SaiHayashi
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I've actually grown to love the look of the car, oh and yeah i was talking about the FN2. And im also not after the new one, looking to trade in my evo 8 for an 07 model with some cash adjustment.

wait, soo LSD is an option for this civic????

as for audio, im not really a big fan of crisp clear as long as its decent its a thumbs up for me.

only the 09 FN2R comes with LSD.

Philip Lee
05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
MY09 is the car to buy imho if you want a FN2R.

the LSD and the USB connection to HU worths the price increase.

lukits01
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
the boyracer in me weeps at the number of airbags this thing carries
wouldve liked, less sound deadening, less luxuries (chilled glovebox? WTF), less airbags
the thing is just too damn heavy.
Fix that, and it's a brilliant car, in the real world the rear suspension works fine.
the 09 model has even more luxuries!
IMO get a 2nd hand one, drop the gearbox and put in a better LSD, you can get a lot better LSDs out there and overall will cost less than a new one.

moons
06-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah, there's an idea I like - Less airbags!

LOL - It's a road car. Want a track car - buy an Atom!

FallenAngel
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Isn't it the 3rd gen CTR?

EK9, EP3R, FN2R...

8th gen is for the normal civic....

JOhnnyFD
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
haha yep tats right

the FN2R/FD2R are the 3rd generation CTR.. just the different body chassis with FN (hatchback designed by the british) and FD (sedan designed by the Japanese thus JDM)

yet however the normal civic FD and FN are the 8th generation.. so to be technically correct, title should have said 3rd generation CTR and not 8th.. imagine what the 8th will be like

so my opinion on this is FD2R >>> FN2R .. all hands down
but with the FN2R itself, personally i wasnt diggin the looks and the reviews against other hatchback cars werent favourable (check out top gear's review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8i01CSrFSM) and the suspension is a huge let down

Stig
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
the ride in the fn2r is STIFF. thats what i thought, stiffer than my fd on tein ss and 20s. could feel every bump in the road

90LAN
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
its a waste of time by honda australia
honda australia are hopeless at bringing the real honda spirit to oz
power of shit dreams imo

SaiHayashi
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
the ride in the fn2r is STIFF. thats what i thought, stiffer than my fd on tein ss and 20s. could feel every bump in the road
better bumpy than too smooth u dont realise how fast ur going and boom.
we'r talking about driving in a sports car, not sleeping in a time capsule.

lukits01
09-06-2009, 12:27 AM
off course its worth it
these guys seem to think so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLrtOeJhgY

moons
09-06-2009, 01:06 AM
we'r talking about driving in a sports car, not sleeping in a time capsule.

Are you sure: I thought he mentioned he was driving an FD2..

LOL

FallenAngel
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
off course its worth it
these guys seem to think so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLrtOeJhgY

Thats a MUGEN FN2R...

I love the front end but the rear end with the spoiler looks horrid....

SaiHayashi
09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Are you sure: I thought he mentioned he was driving an FD2..

LOL

i think thats the issue,
he's comparing mum's favourite shopping car against FN2R.

dc2dc2dc2
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
get an eg civic if u are a true honda fanboy

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
all this talk about the FN2 not being the Real Type R is a bunch of "Hater talk"... yes there is no LSD on the the pre 2009 models and yes the rear suspension is a torsion bar, but in the real world the driving experience is that its a good car to drive, its fun and it is very responsive to the drivers inputs, sure the ride is a'lil stiffer then normal cars but the ride isnt as hard as everyone makes it out to be, plus its a "sports" model so its suppose to be a harder ride...

dont let the above points put u off... just go to the dealer and take one for a drive, then tell me what u think...

in the end even tho it is of a lesser power figure then its competitors (Golf Gti, Focus, Mazda 3 etc etc... ) it makes up for it in other ways, so, unless ur looking for a dedicated track car the FN2 is a well balanced street car for everyday use... and thats just comparing it to my cars in the past (95' Mazda MX6, 91' Honda CRX, Nissan R33 GTS4, Toyota AE93 SX and 91' Audi S3)

i find alot of people just hate it coz its not JDM and the styling is an either "love it or hate it" design.... theres alot of JDM fanboys out there...

just take it for a drive before u make any assumptions... thats my 5cents

moons
12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Stop making sense, NinjaDust - This is OzHonda!

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Touché Mr Moons, but i know u feel me when i said the above!!

SaiHayashi
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
all this talk about the FN2 not being the Real Type R is a bunch of "Hater talk"... agree, all bcoz japanese picked FD2 for type R.

plus its a "sports" model so its suppose to be a harder ride... i'd be scared if im on 160kph not feeling a bump.

in the end even tho it is of a lesser power figure then its competitors (Golf Gti, Focus, Mazda 3 etc etc... ) im sure a lot of FN2 drivers know how to fine tune the car to match them up.

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
agree, all bcoz japanese picked FD2 for type R.

well the japs now have the FN2 aswell, hence the Mugen FN2

besides, these Haterz havent even driven an FN2R let alone an FD2R... so its all alot of bogus baloney... the only info they are basing there argument on is from magazine reviews or online reviews etc (which is all subjective if u ask me)...

i havent driven an FD2R so i cant compare it to that, and like i said in my other post, "and thats just comparing it to my cars in the past (95' Mazda MX6, 91' Honda CRX, Nissan R33 GTS4, Toyota AE93 SX and 91' Audi S3)"

the only way to know is to drive it for urself...

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
well the japs now have the FN2 aswell....

not according to Honda.co.jp (http://www.honda.co.jp/auto/?from=box)

besides, these Haterz havent even driven an FN2R let alone an FD2R... so its all alot of bogus baloney... the only info they are basing there argument on is from magazine reviews or online reviews etc (which is all subjective if u ask me)...

there is no hate to FN2R personally. it's more a disappointment. i think it looks good but i was hoping it goes as well as it look....

i havent driven an FD2R so i cant compare it to that, and like i said in my other post, "and thats just comparing it to my cars in the past (95' Mazda MX6, 91' Honda CRX, Nissan R33 GTS4, Toyota AE93 SX and 91' Audi S3)"

the only way to know is to drive it for urself...

you are right. test drove twice back to back with a Golf GTI and signed for the GTI. i guess it's just not for me.

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 02:21 PM

isnt MUGEN a Jap only brand??... im sure there is a MUGEN FN2 surfing the net

there is no hate to FN2R personally. it's more a disappointment. i think it looks good but i was hoping it goes as well as it look....

i meant in general, just look around in most of the OzHonda threads about Civic Type R... all u will see is "its not a Real Type R, blah blah blah... "

you are right. test drove twice back to back with a Golf GTI and signed for the GTI. i guess it's just not for me.

u and a gazillion other Golf owners out there!!.. the closest thing i can compare the Golf Gti to is my Audi S3 and even then i pick the FN2, the chassis just feels tighter in the FN2... mind u my S3 isnt stock either, but shes a nice looking cruiser/sleeper...

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
all this talk about the FN2 not being the Real Type R is a bunch of "Hater talk"...

"hater talk"?? i mean you can flip the coin over and consider yourself "fan boy"????

it is fine that you like it, but it's also ok for others to dislike it.

as i said i don't hate the car. i was excited when Honda announced they were bringing them in but was left disappointed after test drives.

Type R has its special qualities. if you look at the lines of Type Rs from past to present, FN2R seems to be the "odd one".......

but each to their own.

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
nuhh, just coz i have one i aint a fan boy... but i get what ur sayin.... its all good in the hood...

its a healthy discussion...

Type R has its special qualities. if you look at the lines of Type Rs from past to present, FN2R seems to be the "odd one".......

yeah i know... the "Type R" blood is known for minimalist equipment with high NA power at an affordable price and the FN2 is the odd ball, it has the luxo parts... i still dunno why they done that... its not like the UK Honda dont know how to make a Type R, they made the EP3

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
yeah i know... the "Type R" blood is known for minimalist equipment with high NA power at an affordable price and the FN2 is the odd ball, it has the luxo parts... i still dunno why they done that... its not like the UK Honda dont know how to make a Type R

i think Honda has "followed the flow".

FN2R is mainly for the Euro market where they expect a certain level of equipment.

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 02:40 PM
isnt MUGEN a Jap only brand??... im sure there is a MUGEN FN2 surfing the net

afaik that's only a concept of parts. Honda Japan has delayed importing FN2R due to the economy.

i meant in general, just look around in most of the OzHonda threads about Civic Type R... all u will see is "its not a Real Type R, blah blah blah... "

i get your point. it's annoying, but just ignore those people.

u and a gazillion other Golf owners out there!!.. the closest thing i can compare the Golf Gti to is my Audi S3 and even then i pick the FN2, the chassis just feels tighter in the FN2... mind u my S3 isnt stock either, but shes a nice looking cruiser/sleeper...

LOL. S3 is a higher class than the GTI and it's no comparison. S3 is definitely awesome.

2 main things i was disappointed with the FN were the seating position (too high, it felt like a Jazz which i was driving) and the relatively lack of go. i followed my head over heart and went with the GTI.

Ninjadust77
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
LOL. S3 is a higher class than the GTI and it's no comparison. S3 is definitely awesome.

2 main things i was disappointed with the FN were the seating position (too high, it felt like a Jazz which i was driving) and the relatively lack of go. i followed my head over heart and went with the GTI.

well its the closest comparison i can make is that...
i know what u mean about the seating position... i guess that can be amounted to the fact that the chassis on the FN is based on the Euro Jazz :eek:

lukits01
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
afaik that's only a concept of parts. Honda Japan has delayed importing FN2R due to the economy.

i get your point. it's annoying, but just ignore those people.

sorry to clutter the thread a little bit, thinking of getting a Mk V GTi for a daily driver, how is it with maintenance cost compared to your EP3, Phil?

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
sorry to clutter the thread a little bit, thinking of getting a Mk V GTi for a daily driver, how is it with maintenance cost compared to your EP3, Phil?

PM sent

ps. i forgot to mention anything about EP3 maintenance cost as i'd expect it to be similar to a FN2.

SaiHayashi
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
perhaps u wana check out this site
http://hondahybridinsight.blogspot.com/2008/11/civic-type-r-fn2-eudm-in-japan-next.html

SaiHayashi
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
nuhh, just coz i have one i aint a fan boy... but i get what ur sayin.... its all good in the hood...

its a healthy discussion...

yeah i know... the "Type R" blood is known for minimalist equipment with high NA power at an affordable price and the FN2 is the odd ball, it has the luxo parts... i still dunno why they done that... its not like the UK Honda dont know how to make a Type R, they made the EP3
its bcoz its the odd one that i like it.

umm after reading this article, all my disappointment of FN2R is just gone, lol if u can read chinese then might as well read the original version in chinese.
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkwei.com%2Fforum%2Fthread-66038-1-1.html&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&history_state0=

Philip Lee
13-06-2009, 10:06 AM
perhaps u wana check out this site
http://hondahybridinsight.blogspot.com/2008/11/civic-type-r-fn2-eudm-in-japan-next.html

so a blog is more reliable than official website?? errrrr

its bcoz its the odd one that i like it.

fair enough. as i said each to their own.

umm after reading this article, all my disappointment of FN2R is just gone, lol if u can read chinese then might as well read the original version in chinese.
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkwei.com%2Fforum%2Fthread-66038-1-1.html&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&history_state0=

you're from HK??

SaiHayashi
13-06-2009, 12:21 PM
so a blog is more reliable than official website??
ok at the end of that blog, it contains this link to the OFFICIAL HONDA news website. srsly, check it out.
http://www.honda.co.jp/news/2008/4081120c.html?from=rss

you're from HK??
lol yes. so i presume u are too?

FallenAngel
13-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Lol...

Car: Sebiku Taipu R
Trade Rating: (2)

JOhnnyFD
13-06-2009, 01:12 PM
the difference btw FD2R and FN2R

Fifth Gear (UK Car Review Show) - Honda Civic Shoot-Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDA9so_IeI

SaiHayashi
13-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Lol...

Car: Sebiku Taipu R
Trade Rating: (2)

LOL too.

by the way.
the romaji for Civic should be : shibikku for シビック :cool:

FallenAngel
13-06-2009, 02:22 PM
the difference btw FD2R and FN2R

Fifth Gear (UK Car Review Show) - Honda Civic Shoot-Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDA9so_IeI

I find that fifth gear isn't as accurate as top gear reviews.. i noticed the chick says the steering is very accurate then she oversteers... -_-

JOhnnyFD
13-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I find that fifth gear isn't as accurate as top gear reviews.. i noticed the chick says the steering is very accurate then she oversteers... -_-

u know she is a racing driver.. her names Vicki Butler-Henderson

where as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May arent but great car reviewers nevertheless... i only believe the words of the Stig as he is the racing driver but he nevers says anything

moons
13-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Top Gear accurate?

Clarkson, May and Hampster are entertaining, for sure - but accurate is a stretch.

And lets not even discuss the disgrace that is Aussie top gear.

In any case, it's all just marketing. The best review is your own - go for a test drive if you can.

SaiHayashi
13-06-2009, 02:39 PM
u know she is a racing driver.. her names Vicki Butler-Henderson

where as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May arent but great car reviewers nevertheless... i only believe the words of the Stig as he is the racing driver but he nevers says anything
she is a racing driver = she must be good? :eek:
how come there are drivers with a valid driving license but cant drive?

SaiHayashi
13-06-2009, 02:41 PM
The best review is your own - go for a test drive if you can.
Very True.

JOhnnyFD
13-06-2009, 02:59 PM
she is a racing driver = she must be good? :eek:
how come there are drivers with a valid driving license but cant drive?

if shes a racing driver so it must definitely mean that shes the most shittest car driver around out there??

i dont know how u interpret racing drivers but to be one, u need to definitely have professionally honed driving skills

drivers who cant drive i would think are either ignorant, stupid, idiots, incompetent, no discipline and have no respect for anyone.

Top Gear accurate?

Clarkson, May and Hampster are entertaining, for sure - but accurate is a stretch.

And lets not even discuss the disgrace that is Aussie top gear.

In any case, it's all just marketing. The best review is your own - go for a test drive if you can.

its good to hear opinions from those guys who are car enthusiasts and who have driven many different cars around.. but i do remember they reviewed the EP3 and FN2R and saying how the FN2R wasnt meeting their expectations compared to the EP3 and someone in audience said the new typeR is great.. so its anyones opinions in which they think a car is good or not.

aussie top gear.. f***ing hell

SaiHayashi
13-06-2009, 03:08 PM
if shes a racing driver so it must definitely mean that shes the most shittest car driver around out there??

i dont know how u interpret racing drivers but to be one, u need to definitely have professionally honed driving skills
again my 2 sentences are not marked by an equal sign.
owning a racing driver title does not mean one must be good.

moons
13-06-2009, 03:17 PM
its good to hear opinions from those guys who are car enthusiasts and who have driven many different cars around..

Yeah... but Jeremy Clarkson is an entertainer who is an enthusiast who has driven many cars. If you have read some of his written reviews you will know that they are fantastically written - but no real help if you are going to buy a car.

For my money, Top Gear, like Jeremy Clarskon is much like the Footy Show and Sam Newman - Arguably entertaining and knowledgeable in their chosen field, but overly opinionated - and doing too good a job at entertaining - to be any use for unbiased information you can actually count on.

aussie top gear.. f***ing hell

LOL. Not sure if it is possible, but I wonder if the yanks can do an even worse job when (if) their version screens?!

Philip Lee
13-06-2009, 11:05 PM
ok at the end of that blog, it contains this link to the OFFICIAL HONDA news website. srsly, check it out.
http://www.honda.co.jp/news/2008/4081120c.html?from=rss

that's just a press release. it's now summer in Japan and there are no FN2R to be seen @ dealers there. therefore your point that they're available now is not really accurate...

90LAN
13-06-2009, 11:30 PM
get an eg civic if u are a true honda fanboy

get a vl turbo if you are a real holden bogan fan boy
with a nissan motor

SaiHayashi
14-06-2009, 03:44 AM
that's just a press release. it's now summer in Japan and there are no FN2R to be seen @ dealers there. therefore your point that they're available now is not really accurate...
actually i was wondering why the japs havent made a big deal out of this.

butterfingers
28-10-2011, 09:26 PM
There's nothing wrong with luxuries as long as it doesn't sacrifice power/weight ratio

Having an upmarket interior doesnt ruin driving experience

Grayfox
05-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I would rather buy a EK9 or DC2.

I drive the FK2(hatch back si) and i love it i wish i had the cash to buy the type R though in crystal black pearl.

UNLS1
09-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Good Points...
-looks really good.
-good room in the back for a 3 door
-good build quality
- handles well

Bad Points,
-sits way to high and is not good for tall people.
- turning circle is crap just like the old integras
- it sounds like its going really quick in high rev range but really its not.
- it looks fast but is not
- doesnt have a turbo
- prob the slowest hot hatch on the market
- for the money brand new they are the worst value for money in that market

Philip Lee
11-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Good Points...
-looks really good.
-good room in the back for a 3 door
-good build quality
- handles well

Bad Points,
-sits way to high and is not good for tall people.
- turning circle is crap just like the old integras
- it sounds like its going really quick in high rev range but really its not.
- it looks fast but is not
- doesnt have a turbo
- prob the slowest hot hatch on the market
- for the money brand new they are the worst value for money in that market

cannot agree more!!

Brian FD2R
18-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Im driving the car i do after driving both cars, having owned 2 ep3R i thought about changing to a fn2R my local Honda dealer got one in so test drive was arranged, at arrival i was well impressed with the look and interior of the car so was really looking forward to the drive of the new type R sorry to say after driving the car for over 30 mins i left wondering what i was missing then i knew performance, 3 weeks later i went to another dealers for a test drive as i was doubting myself after watching the sales advertising on TV but no this was not the car for me my EP3 would murder this in any road or track condition so what else was there........IMPORT DC5R it was so we went along to import dealer for a look, couple of shit boxes was all he had!!! so looked further afield and found a dealer further north in Perth Scotland they had 6 DC5R one black the rest champ white so we headed up for a look on arrival there were Scobbies evos skylines the usual contenders, and a champ white FD2R. Having read up on them i had to have a look very nice but i was here to look at ownership of a DC5R ,the salesman asked if i would like the keys to have a proper look who was i to say no to a sit in a FD2R very nice....hmm then was offered a test drive well impressed nothing like the FN2, but i was here to look at DC5R as soon as we opened the doors of a DC5 we were struck how old and dated the interior is so FD2R IT WAS a good bit more expensive than any DC5R but it had to be the FD2R.