PDA

View Full Version : FD Rear Suspesion Bottoming Out

rpps
05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a 2008 Honda Civic and I have noticed when car is carrying two big adults in the rear that the rear suspension bottoms out and is quiet uncomfortable ans worrying. I was wondering if I can fix this problem with stiffer coil springs or will new shocks work:confused:

.k.
06-06-2009, 11:24 AM
First things first would be to take it to Honda and get it fixed up through warrant for free(if there is a problem)

Do you have stock rims? If not, other members have experienced your problem (scrubbing) and the solution afaik is to get coils + camber kit? (could definitely be wrong on this) stiffer springs may or may not work because even with a stiff spring - using stock shocks would mean it might scrub..

Hope I helped
Or

rpps
06-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have new Mag wheels but they are the same size as the original steel rims. I might have the dealer look at the car I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension, I just think it's just too soft. My previous car a Toyota Corolla 2008 never bottomed out with a load.

Waternmo
07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
same size in diameter but same offset and width too? check on the offset and see if its too close to the guard or to the inside... and i dont think the civic stock shocks are soft comparin to cars of the same class...

rpps
07-06-2009, 02:56 PM
The Mags have the same offset as the original rims, the car when loaded is hitting the suspension stoppers and the tyres do not touch the guards.

Waternmo
08-06-2009, 02:34 AM
then u shud take ya car back to honda under warranty, but b4 u do, put the stock rims back on and put in the same load to see if it still happens! if yes, then remember to take ya car bac with the stock rims on!

FallenAngel
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
It shouldn't bottom out regardless... i've had LOWERED springs on the car and they didn't bottom out until about a year or so later... even though the 3 in the rear had a weight of about close to 200kg?

How heavy were the people in the back just for approximation?

There isn't any "stiffer" springs for the FD, as there are only lowering springs. My advice, which is the same with the posts above, put ur OEM rims back on, go to Honda and ask them to see whats going on.

funkdr
09-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I have the same problem with people in the back and some stuff in the boot over bumps the suspension hits the stops.

ej20i
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
dumb question, what does it mean for a susy 2 bottom out?!

xenfacta
16-06-2009, 07:15 PM
it hits the bump stops.. ive got 17s on mine and never had the problem, even with four people in the back (dont ask)

curtis265
19-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I actually a kerb once actidentally.. it bottoms out there very quickly

ekdez
19-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I actually a kerb once actidentally.. it bottoms out there very quickly

i lol'd

hondar
19-07-2009, 11:14 PM
check if the shock absorber is leaking,

bottom out is when part A (rod) hit the bottom part.

reason? you put incorrect spring and as a result the rod travels more than it should be and you damaged the shock.

if you havent put any aftermarket spring and it is not doing the job, then possible defect on the shock absorber

changing to stiffer spring wont help if the shock absorber is damaged.

if you want to get aftermarket spring, get one from reputable company who do measure travel rate of the spring rather than give the lowest drop.

sometimes to give the lowest drop, you can compromise the durability of your sussy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Gas_damper_mov.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gas_damper_mov.gif)

ekdez
19-07-2009, 11:36 PM
and longevity

hondar
19-07-2009, 11:47 PM
and longevity

correcto! :D

curtis265
20-07-2009, 10:16 PM
i lol'd
I cried.
Kerbs are mean :(