PDA

View Full Version : 8th Gen Accord, rear brake pads

bbk
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Has anyone been told that their rear brake pads need to be replaced yet? I was told at the 20K service that they would be only good for another 5K... :thumbdwn:

Now at 27K, there doesn't seem to be much left there... probably another 5K or so.

I know that it all depends on a lot of factors such as your driving style, but this seems to be a common problem with 8th gen Accords:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/index.shtml

bbk
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Anybody?

Shpox
05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Won't be able to say until I reach the 25K mark. I think personally, inquire with your dealer to see whether or not warranty will cover. Reading through the car complaints, a common solution seems to be finding a place that will offer you a lifetime warranty and go from there.

hotout
17-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I've got the previous Accord model 2005, and at last service they told me I had less pads left on my rears than on my fronts! Almost 100% of my driving is non highway too!! Very strange.

bbk
29-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Just to give everyone an update:

Indicators started to sound at around 29K and one of the inner pads was almost all gone at 30K.

Dealers quote ~$295: ~$160 + labor and their service consultants believe that it's perfectly normal to replace the pads at 30K :confused:

Bendix Australia is yet to have rear pads for the 8th gen Accord. Bendix U.S. part number is D1336.

Honda U.S. part number is 43022-TA0-A00 (same pads as the Acura TSX or Euro) and I can confirm that it perfectly fits the Australian models.

The DIY didn't take more than 45 minutes :thumbsup:

Shpox
29-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey bbk, just wondering what you meant by they 'started to sound' :)

bbk
29-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey bbk, just wondering what you meant by they 'started to sound' :)

An on and off squealing sound caused by the wear indicators on the pads. It's hard to miss and very annoying...

Here's how they look like:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2677954556_60ce884109.jpg

anonymousmoose
14-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry to come into this dicussion so late. I've only just started looking at the forum.

I'm doing a lot of research into the Gen8 accord in case I decide to get one.

I've heard the break pad problem from a few sources. Perhaps its the quality of the pads they use? Would it be better to go to an independent break place or would this void warranty?

I dont drive too much right now as I live next to a train station and the hospitals I work at are also next to train platforms. So I wouldnt be doing much KMs anyways.

bbk
14-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I've heard the break pad problem from a few sources. Perhaps its the quality of the pads they use? Would it be better to go to an independent break place or would this void warranty?

Well, as I said at the time you couldn't find any other brake pads in Australia apart from the OEM pads.

I'm not really too sure what's behind this but some say that EBD's rear/front distribution of braking power might be the culprit

chrome
14-10-2009, 03:56 PM
bbk is right about the EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution) in the late model Accords. This has been extensively discussed over in the DriveAccord.net forums. Basically, Honda designed the EBD to put more hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes, especially if the rear is loaded up (cargo or passengers). This makes the rear brakes work much harder than a car without EBD, with the benefit of increased braking stability and less nose-diving.

Apparently Honda/Acura in the US has released a new pad compound for the rear brakes which is said to mitigate the high wear rates. Not sure if that will ever reach Australia.

snajper
21-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I had to pay $250 to have the rear brakes replaced on my 8th Gen accord. The car has only done 25K.
Not happy HONDA.

E-Gene
25-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Which brake pads usually wear out first? Front or rear?

Shpox
25-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Rear from reports.

snajper
25-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Had my rears replaced $250.
All of you Accord Gen8 owners expect your rear brakes to wear off around $25-30Mark and every 25K thereafter. The worst thing is that it was making very very loud noise when driving and not even using brakes. (Whole street can hear you)
Honda quality rocks. I miss my 06 Euro which was bullet proof.

snajper
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Gents,

Bendix has just released brake pad for 08/09 Accord.

What a relief.

Rudy
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Gents,

Bendix has just released brake pad for 08/09 Accord.

What a relief.

nice! thx for the update.

NileshP
08-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Rear :(

Which brake pads usually wear out first? Front or rear?

NileshP
08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Mine went at around 35 and took away some of the rotor surface. I didn't notice until too late because from visual inspection (which I do every week) it looked sufficient to last a while. And the retards at my dealership stated in the 30K service report that I had at least 50%. I use this car for commuting and have a newborn to carry around.

HONDA and its dealers should alert owners on what to expect.

Paid $330 for rear pads and machining of the rotors.

Honda Australia doesn't want to hear about it and will quickly attribute this flaw to bad driving.

Has anyone been told that their rear brake pads need to be replaced yet? I was told at the 20K service that they would be only good for another 5K... :thumbdwn:

Now at 27K, there doesn't seem to be much left there... probably another 5K or so.

I know that it all depends on a lot of factors such as your driving style, but this seems to be a common problem with 8th gen Accords:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/index.shtml

bono
09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
For some perculiar reason, sometimes when I reverse and stop, there is clunk or thud sound coming mainly from the rear of the car. I suspect it is the rear brakes. Does anyone notice the same thing? I've never experienced this from any other car and find it a bit unusual...

Rudy
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
For some perculiar reason, sometimes when I reverse and stop, there is clunk or thud sound coming mainly from the rear of the car. I suspect it is the rear brakes. Does anyone notice the same thing? I've never experienced this from any other car and find it a bit unusual...

yes!! I get that ... but mine is when I go over a dip or bump coming from the rear. Something could be loose because I had eibachs put in. But I only get it first time I pull out in the morning, and then it never happens again the rest of the day.

NileshP
11-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't think it could be due to the brake pads. Brake related noicse would mainly be screeches and squeaks. I remember a rattling sound coming out of the back when my car was just a few weeks ago and the dealer had to tighten the rear screen mounted brake lights. the screws that hold the light to the board were loose. Maybe let someone else drive and you sit at the back to diagnose the problem.

Danzvtil
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
OH CRAP!!! im just reading the 10K service report on mine, says that the rear pads are 30% worn HOLY CRAP! Not Happy Jan!

NileshP
16-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Read this article: http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/honda-brake-class-action-settled.html

It's a common problem with Honda Accord 2008 onwards and this law suit has been settled in US. I too suffered this problem at only 35,000KMs. I didn't expect this to happen and nor was I advised of it by Honda. Read my earlier post on this issue for more details.

I will be writing to Honda Australia shortly and if I don't get a satisfactory resolve, I am taking them to CTTT.

Danzvtil
19-06-2010, 06:21 PM
ive noticed on and off, with 17k on the clock, pull up in my driveway, get out of the car, often i will get a whiff of burning from the rear brakes, they are definately working harder than they should.
Also, if your rotors are damaged due excess wear, but you didnt hear the low pad warning noise (squealing) surely that is a fault of the pad and honda should come to the party. Its not unreasonable for a motorist to wait to hear the warning sound before replacing them if you are between services.

anonymousmoose
04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Does the Accord Euro suffer from these problemos also?

snajper
27-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Just ordered Bendix DB1953 (rears) and will fit them on the weekend. Will let you know if it is any good.

snajper
27-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Also guys if you going to the dealer to get your brakes replaced ask for P/n: 43022-TA0-A40
That is the new improved version of rear brakes. Honda made these after they got sued in US.

any other part number will last you only ~25K

sdewyz
30-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, just to let you know that Honda will be covering these pads under warranty if they don't reach 30,000km. Speak to your local dealership if you are having problems with your

snajper
30-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, just to let you know that Honda will be covering these pads under warranty if they don't reach 30,000km. Speak to your local dealership if you are having problems with your

I have already asked them and they refused.

Shpox
30-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Definitely seems like a case by case basis. I was quoted $190 for machining my squeaky brakes at 9,000 km. Highly doubt my dealer will oblige.

Did your dealer specify the pre-30k message? Might be able to get a word from Honda Australia if they refuse.

sdewyz
31-08-2010, 12:27 PM
You might be best off speaking with Honda Aust first and then speak to your dealer.

NileshP
31-08-2010, 01:32 PM
You might be best off speaking with Honda Aust first and then speak to your dealer.

I don't think there is any use contacting Honda Australia. I contacted them twice about the premature wear of my rear brake pads and you'd be surprised at the response. The justifications on both letters look exactly the same. So I am presuming when an issue arises, the marketing people at Honda have a meeting and come out with a well-written defence, which they copy and paste every time a customer complaints.

One of their favourite hobbies is rubbishing the customer by telling them that the issue is unique to the customer and then blaming it on the customer's driving habits. According to Honda the premature rear brake pad wear is to increase safety - I wonder how.:(

Shpox
31-08-2010, 01:39 PM
One of their favourite hobbies is rubbishing the customer by telling them that the issue is unique to the customer and then blaming it on the customer's driving habits. According to Honda the premature rear brake pad wear is to increase safety - I wonder how.:(

I'm not sure if this I've written this before, but afaik thats well and truley the case. Again, I think it's a case by case basis and you'll be lucky to get them replaced. Basically the only place on the internet where there is discussion about this issue in Australia in this thread. If you look at the US comparison, consumer reports and class action suite, there was a huge consumer response to the issue. Here, I think most drivers bear the grunt and it is simply easier for Honda to address the issue to the customer's driving habits. Regardless, the issue is prevalent. I'm only at the 9k mark, but I'll do my best to fight the issue if it arises. If sdewyz is correct, this is a whole different issue as Honda would be appearing to acknowledge the problem albeit under wraps.

That is some serious double logic though. Increased safety by more pad wear.

brokenback
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Just had our rear Accord pads replaced at 14K service (it was supposed to be the 10K service...a little overdue) under warranty.

Was told it was a lubrication issue on the calliper pad guides that caused the pads to drag and wear. Hmmm we shall see.

Danzvtil
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Just had the 20k service done today (actually 22k on the clock,sorry), report states Front pads 25% worn, Rear pads 75% worn.I quizzed the service guy about issues with rear pad wear, he played dumb as if there was no problem. When quizzed further, he admitted they look at each on a case by case basis.He said that he would look at the pads at the 30k service and advise accordingly.
I REALLY hope they come to the party on this issue for us as our dealer experience has been excellent in every other way, I dont expect anthing less after spending $40k on a car.

Danzvtil
29-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Just had the 20k service done today (actually 22k on the clock,sorry), report states Front pads 25% worn, Rear pads 75% worn.I quizzed the service guy about issues with rear pad wear, he played dumb as if there was no problem. When quizzed further, he admitted they look at each on a case by case basis.He said that he would look at the pads at the 30k service and advise accordingly.
I REALLY hope they come to the party on this issue for us as our dealer experience has been excellent in every other way, I dont expect anthing less after spending $40k on a car.

Oh, BTW, my work ute, an 18 month old FG one tonner with 85K on the clock is still on 4 original brake pads FFS!!!!!

rojak1
30-09-2010, 10:00 PM
my gf's toyota still run on all 4 factory brake pads, 6yo 88k and still going (stopping) well.

i reckon the rear pads on accord is soft, to stop a car 15mm bigger than ford?

brokenback
01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Fords kerb weight is listed as 1704kg and the Accord, 1515kg. I suspect the Ford weight listed is a manual so the Auto will add another 50kg. The Honda may be bigger but weighs a lot less and is thus easier on pads.

I don't know why the Euro isn't having these issues as it's a similar Kerb weight. Must be different pads. I had a VNV8 when they were new...it went 80,000 klms on the pads and still had some left..unfortunately the discs were worn below min spec buy then...hard pads.

But for my pads to wear and be replaced at 14,000 k...yikes! That is bad.

Rudy
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Its a design fault... make sure to get the new part number if you ever get yours replaced at Honda.

Danzvtil
24-03-2011, 09:35 PM

UPDATE- Just had the 30k done (31k on clock), rear pads only got 1000Kays max left. I was quite adamant before the service that this was a warranty issue, and had told them so at the last service to put them on notice.
Anyways, dealer replaced the pads as their Honda Aust bulletin said theyll cover them upto 30k, dealer found out AFTER installing the pads that honda WONT cover them and Ill have to pay $260 because the car was over the 30k mark by 1k!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, can i tell you after much heated discussion and raised voices the service guy said his hands were tied and that id have to call Honda Cust service to raise a claim, no guarantee theyll reimburse me for the work done.
Called Honda Aust and put in a claim.
Got off phone and sevice manager had decided that they will take the brakes off the bill and fight Honda Aust later for their money.
So quite happy that the dealer decided to do a little customer service to keep us happy, they have always provided GREAT service.
NOT HAPPY that Honda Aust caused me duress by putting me in a situation that wasnt pleasant.
PULL YOUR BLOODY SOCKS UP HONDA AUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OzziKiwi
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I phoned our dealer (Friday afternoon) to book the car in for the 30k service, and also to address this 'squealing' noise from back right 'wheel'. I was informed over the phone it was the brakes...which I almost laughed out loud, and reminded the service person that this car was going in for 30k..not 130k!!
I dropped the car off this morning and the noise had not been heard for 2 days...
The service dept called me to advise rear brakes had been replaced ($296) the car serviced and was now ready for pick-up. I arrived there to be presented with the bill, which is where the 'fun' began.
I asked why I had not been informed the brakes would only last this amount of time, which they advised me that Honda had informed their dealerships of a 'fault' with the break pads in September 2010. They said they had serviced my car (20k) in October 2010 and inspected the brake pads, and were content my brake would see me through to 30k service....and as my car had 30,550km when i dropped it off this morning, they refused to use the 'warranty' option available for Accord owners, providing the car hasnot done more than 30,000km, and not a kilometer more!!
I checked my log book, and saw that the 20k service was done at 20,557km, so the 2 service periods hadnt even reached 10k, yet at 20k they were happy the breaks would last til 30k. They told me athat at 20k i had 4mm of pad left, and said a new pad had about 6mm, which means i used 2mm in 20k, and then 4mm in 10k!!! I have had the same job, same address, the driving history is unchanged for the entire life of this car. I am the sole driver, yet all of a sudden they want me to believe that i have used 4mm of pad in 10,000km!!
I requested a copy of the Honda report, which was declined, i could read it but not copy it. I requested they provide me with my old brake pads, which they were very very reluctant to do, and I then took them and refused to give them back. So I now have them in my possession. Now, on further inspection of these brake pads, it is very clear the 2 pads are also unevenly worn....yet they still deny this is a warranty repair. The said the uneven wear is due to how my handbrake is set.....at which point i reminded them the 'tweaking' my handbrake was not normally something i do!! Again, still denied as a warranty repair.

As far as I am concerned the sale contract that I signed when I purchased this vehicle does not meet the specifications, and afault, ANY fault, should be actioned and I should have been informed and at least given the opportunity to have them replaced!

I have lodged a complaint with Honda Australia, and intend to pursue this until I am satisfied wiht the outcome. I am Very unhappy with the management of this issue. :thumbdwn:

This makes me wonder though, what else may be wrong with this vehicle that I do not know about....

Fredoops
04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Brakes.... I never go factory for brakes/brake pads.

eBay ftw, and saves having to deal with the crap with Honda.

BTW: rear brake pad wear is a common issue in the states.

Danzvtil
29-05-2011, 12:03 PM
i note after 2000kays on the new rear pads STILL smell like they are burning after a sedate drive(same as the original pads). I hope to hell these arent going to wear out in 30k as well!!!

nv033
11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Is it possible to get the service centers details pm'ed or stated in this thread
Cheers
Steve

brokenback
21-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Just replaced rear pads. Put in Bendix DB1953, cost $84. I have seen them on line cheaper but this price was a lot cheaper than what some stores wanted.

Honda supposedly replaced our rears at 14,000K and we are now at 40,000K so that pretty much 25,000K on these pads. I didn't bother with Honda pads the reason is not hard to figure. It's an easy DIY job but Honda's behaviour on this is inexcusable.

Fredoops
26-06-2011, 01:01 PM
it's a known issue in the US accords on the rear brakes, either the rotor or the pads are wearing out prematurely.
difference is that Honda Oz didn't do anything about it.

My suggestion is to purchase some ceramic pads from the USA, they'll last FOREVER.

Danzvtil
19-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Update-Just had the 50k service and got the front pads machined as the brakes were pulsating, this fixed the issue, the brake pedal feels like a new car.
I note though the front pads have 50% life left and the rears (replaced at 30k) have only 25%.It looks like ill be forever replacing rear pads every 30k SIGH!

snajper
20-08-2012, 06:44 AM
i had rears replaced at 22k, 53k, 75k. gave up on honda brakes and have switched to bendix and have done 25k with them 80% left.

Fredoops
23-08-2012, 01:27 AM
^^^^ Honda rear bads are shit.

Must be a design fault.

Jasemas
23-08-2012, 11:38 PM
^^^^ Honda rear bads are shit.

Must be a design fault.
Must be a bad, bad bro :P

lefty
09-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Just replaced rear pads. Put in Bendix DB1953, cost $84. I have seen them on line cheaper but this price was a lot cheaper than what some stores wanted.

What's the difference between DB1953 and DB1230?
Looks exactly the same ?

Shpox
12-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Hey lads :wave:

My rears are up for a change quite soon. Dealer still thinks they're fine despite all the squeeling. How good are they. Anyway. I think since we're unlikely to see the same results of the class action lawsuit in Honda AU, I'm going to just fork out the cash and buy some Bendix off ebay and get someone to do the labour. This seems to be route to go down.

For the guys that got the replacement 1953, how is it all holding up? I'm not sure what the difference is between the TOA and the 2.4/3.5 V6 but part models are the same.

Tai
15-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I got the original OEM Honda 2 years ago, its already worn out now.

Gotta change it again soon, making the screeching noise to indicate replacement.

Shpox
16-07-2014, 01:24 PM
When did you last change them Tai? At 30?
If so, did you do rotors/brake flush aswell?

Tai
21-07-2014, 05:02 PM
It really depends on how the rotors are doing and if the pads settled in nicely.

Best to have your mechanic check it out prior to booking in a replacement.

I did my first one at around 27-28k I think.

Now has low 60s

deepudips
04-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I am in Melbourne, closer to Chadstone and drive a Honda Accord 2010. I am having the same breaking issues. I have done 37k though. Where can i get the Bendix or others fitted cheap, unless someone in here want to help me fit these :)

brokenback
05-12-2014, 10:47 AM
.....I am having the same breaking issues. I have done 37k though. .....)

Depends upon what your issues are? Shudder? Worn pads? Brake Squeal? I suggest your local mechanic ......not a chain store like brakes plus.