PDA

View Full Version : D16a8 Gearbox or D16y1

VT33CN
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi i have just got a new gearbox for my d16y1(sohc vtec) engine.Unfortunately the gearbox was from a D16a(sohc non-vtec) and i will need new driveshafts and midshaft.

Will it be worth the swap?
Whats the different in these gearbox? pros and cons.

BluEG
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
deleted double post

BluEG
05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
not worth it, just get a sohc d series g/box that fits

what box is the car of?
dont think there was any sohc the ran a mid shaft??
Plus dont think a mid shaft will fit a d16y1 as they dont run them.
try to get a eg5 (d16y1) or ej8 (d16y8) box as they have better gear ratio/final drive
then a breeze etc etc

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/gearratiosdseries.htm

BluEG
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Just looked it up,

not worth the effort

some d series (sohc) have holes in the back of the block you need to tap
to run a mid shaft and some dont. Pick of the bunch :D

just get a box that works with your existing shafts

make life easier.

bennjamin
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Just a heads up - the d16a8 gearbox has a slightly larger diff hole for slightly larger driveshaft splines - and it is the only d series to run a mid shaft.
All other d series 88 to 2000 run essentially the same shafts and diff housing. So anything bar the Eg5 Si will suit

VTECnique
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
the Y1 g/box has even better ratios compared to the Y8, so id just source another Y1 g/box cause its the best g/box out of the d-series...

VT33CN
06-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Ok thanks for your comments. Well i went to peddars and they agreed to swap my gearbox along with my springs.
I have swapped in the D16a8 gearbox in. You need specific driveshafts for this gearbox and you would also need a mid-shaft(THis shaft needs 3 holes to mount in).
But luckily my D16y1 engine had the holes for mounting.

There seems to be a problem with gearbox. Say you are driving in 3rd gear at 4000rpm and you downlift into 2nd, my gearbox would grounding noise but would engage. Shift up is fine. Accelarating is fine the gearbox engages nicely. Only when backing off the gearbox would ground.

Any suggestion on how to fix this? please. As i have no money to buy new gearbox and pay for install again.

VTECnique
06-06-2009, 07:26 AM
maybe it could be your 2nd gear synchrose, 2nd gear is always the first gear to go! you may have purchased a half shot g/box bud...

only way to fix it is, yeap you guessed it, take it apart...

bennjamin
06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
maybe it could be your 2nd gear synchrose, 2nd gear is always the first gear to go! you may have purchased a half shot g/box bud...

only way to fix it is, yeap you guessed it, take it apart...

if you get the noise on backing off its a bearing....could be input shaft bearing or countershaft bearing. regardless it needs replacement.

Ask the person you bought the box off. Because replacing the bearing/s is expensive.

VT33CN
07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Well the gearbox was bought 2nd hand of an Ozhonda memeber. Gearbox was described as (perfect condition).
What should i do?
Just been to hannys. its comfirmed the bearings is ****ed.Just have to take it easy till i find new gearbox and rev match properly.

Anyone have D16a8 gearbox owrking for sale?

bennjamin
07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
try to ask as nicely as possible for a refund. As , they provided something that was not what advertised. Morally , they have an obligation but 50% of the time its hard to get money out of someone.

Lukezen27
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
The Y1 holes the OBX LSD I don't think the others do :eek: