PDA

View Full Version : Got my eye on some wheels........will they fit?

JMSBND
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I can get some nice wheels for my S2k. Rays 17x8 front, 17x9 rear +45 offset. Will these fit ok? What rubber do I run? I have Eibach lowered springs and thats it. Figure since my 16" rubber is near dead on the rear I may as well get some slightly bigger rims for the street and leave the semi's for track days.

Thanks in advance.

JAmes.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ChromZ
05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
they will fit just fine!

as for rubber, i suggest 21545/17 or 225/45/17 for front and 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 for the rear

those wheels specs are what id love to put on my car with the abovementioned tyre specs..

ludecrs
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
they will fit just fine!

Agreed.

Preferred size to run in the good ol' US of A.

revolution
06-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Yea should fit fine. Suggest you go with 215 and 245 front and rear respective. I have 225 on the front with a 17X8 +45 rim and it sticks out a tad too much. But some aggresive camber should fix that up.

vyets
06-06-2009, 12:46 AM
They will fit but obviously needs a little bit of guard work
also I wouldn't recommend running them on springs

JMSBND
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
They will fit but obviously needs a little bit of guard work
also I wouldn't recommend running them on springs

Guard work? Like rolling them?

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping to get them this week!

As for springs do you think they might rub?

James

vyets
06-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Yea most likely will have to roll it. depending on what kind of alignment your running. Might as well roll it so you can run some 255's! :)
You also will need to relocate the rear bumper tab most likley. Your from the eastside right Jms?
If so let me know I know a guy around the Springvale area who can roll your guards, for a real good price too and not to mention his really good :)
If you roll it you might get away with running springs, but I still wouldn't recommend it they are just too soft to handle aggressive offsets. Not to mention springs are crap anyway :P get some coils I know you'll make good use of it too!

JAP-S2K
06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh why does everyone run staggered offset? I know thats what everyone runs on a street tune S2K. But WHY? Running same f&r offest eliminates any chance of understeer. Get 17x9 +45, with some 255/40's all round. Not only will look aggressive, it will be a turn in monster.

ludecrs
06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh why does everyone run staggered offset? I know thats what everyone runs on a street tune S2K. But WHY? Running same f&r offest eliminates any chance of understeer. Get 17x9 +45, with some 255/40's all round. Not only will look aggressive, it will be a turn in monster.

^

You answered your own question. :p

I know thats what everyone runs on a street tune S2K. But WHY?

Not only will look aggressive, it will be a turn in monster.

JAP-S2K
07-06-2009, 12:07 AM
^

You answered your own question. :p

Ha Ha! true! That's clearly a Wtf back to me???

JMSBND
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I was gonna run this setup because thats what the rims are. 8" front and 9" rear. The stagger, is it not as good handleing as same all round? I find my turn in is fine. I carry alot of corner speed no problem and the tyres I run seem ok even stock size at the moment.

All a bit new to me as I have always run FWD Hondas.

Thanks for all the advice.

Coil overs............yeah I would love to, but I already have Tein on the CRX, and I need to save for a new garage but yeah, def would love coilovers.

kevt88
22-06-2009, 05:47 PM
hey guys,

would 7.5" or 8" restrict you from upgrading brakes of any particular brand?
And if 225 stick out for the front, would it be discouraged to get 215front and 255 rear( besides, perhaps looking quite ridiculous)? --noob.

JAP-S2K
22-06-2009, 06:44 PM
hey guys,

would 7.5" or 8" restrict you from upgrading brakes of any particular brand?
And if 225 stick out for the front, would it be discouraged to get 215front and 255 rear( besides, perhaps looking quite ridiculous)? --noob.

The rim width plays little on brake selection. the offset and diameter play a massive part. However there aren't many options out there, and choosing a brake package will play a massive part on what rims you'll need to run. For example going for 4 piston brembo caliper on the front is going to be difficult to fit under the factory guards as you'll need to run a very agressive offset rim with only a couple a rim chooses. On the other hand if you go for a 4 piston spoon setup you'll be able to choose more rim styles.

Do some homework before buying them though, as it's best to increase rotor size rather than increase caliper size. As increasing caliper size will have little effect over the factory setup.

Can i ask why the plans to do brake upgrade?

Also not a good idea to stagger the tyre widths that much. As this will create understeer. You can never overtyre but you can undertyre a car.

kevt88
22-06-2009, 07:02 PM
i was planning (not any time soon) to do wheel upgrade, followed by brake and rotar upgrade from stock. After driving my brothers, it just feels a lot more safe ...

your insight?

JAP-S2K
22-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Feels more safe in what way, Maybe just put some good pads and good brake fluid. Multi-piston brake kits feel no different to the factory setup. The factory honda pads are crap and there's a good chance your fluid just needs changing.

If you want to increase your stoping power:

-Purchase some good pads eg, Mugen, Project Mu, Acre, Hawk, EBC, which are rated to 450deg or more. The 450's generally aren't very noisy or dusty. 600-650 expect dust and noise but awesome stopping. Also do front and rear pads, same same.
-Buy 3x Motul RBF 600 brake fluid and flush system, why your there do your clutch system too.
-Buy Cusco brake master cylinder stopper, increases pedal feel, as it soaks up any movement in the fire wall.

Once your've done this, you won't need to waste money on a brake upgrade. Use that money on other mods.

kevt88
22-06-2009, 09:31 PM
yeah i was going to do that before my next track day. i'll try the motul brake fluid this weekend.

You track yours i take it? what brand pads are you using? i keep reading varied reviews on the forum... got any cheap places?

JAP-S2K
22-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah it was my black ones first track day, but i've done plenty before in my previous s2k and other cars i've owned. I've used Project Mu and Mugen pads previously both were excellent both sets were 650 deg. You won't make them fade at all. Otherwise go here,

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88412&page=11

Ring the guys at JDM Yard or Mu Secret.

Happy hunting.

9large
23-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Also not a good idea to stagger the tyre widths that much. As this will create understeer. You can never overtyre but you can undertyre a car.

You can actually over-tyre a car, JAP-S2K. Generally, a fast car is a well-balanced car, and you - as the driver - need to find the right setup for you and the car on the road or track. When you over-tyre a car, you can actually numb the car's handling and take away its agility, particularly when you don't have much power to play with. So, if you fancy yourself as the next Super GT superstar, take suburban corners at fully sick hectic speeds, or need to brake from 200 to 40 before school zones, non-staggered 265-section tyres are probably for you. Otherwise, if you want to maintain the balance of the S2000, staggered is best.

Excuse the facetiousness :)

JAP-S2K
23-06-2009, 08:18 AM
You can So, if you fancy yourself as the next Super GT superstar, take suburban corners at fully sick hectic speeds, or need to brake from 200 to 40 before school zones, non-staggered 265-section tyres are probably for you. Otherwise, if you want to maintain the balance of the S2000, staggered is best.

Excuse the facetiousness :)

Quite the comedian. For starters you can't over tyre an s2k with factory guards and my comments were based on someone who's looking into increasing front brakes. My point being that there's no piont running a wider rim and then stretching a tyre that's less than standard width.

9large
23-06-2009, 10:07 AM
C'mon JAP-S2K, lighten up a little. Your comment, "You can never overtyre but you can undertyre a car." was a general comment, and not one specifically directed at an S2000 without modifications allowed. Although, using your +45 offset on 9" rims and 255 section tyres, you're still going to have to modify your front fenders, especially if your car's lowered.

JAP-S2K
23-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Although, using your +45 offset on 9" rims and 255 section tyres, you're still going to have to modify your front fenders, especially if your car's lowered.

This is true! sorry i thought you were responding to my comments i gave KEV, regarding rim size to fit over brakes.

jaeyon
23-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Feels more safe in what way, Maybe just put some good pads and good brake fluid. Multi-piston brake kits feel no different to the factory setup. The factory honda pads are crap and there's a good chance your fluid just needs changing.

If you want to increase your stoping power:

-Purchase some good pads eg, Mugen, Project Mu, Acre, Hawk, EBC, which are rated to 450deg or more. The 450's generally aren't very noisy or dusty. 600-650 expect dust and noise but awesome stopping. Also do front and rear pads, same same.
-Buy 3x Motul RBF 600 brake fluid and flush system, why your there do your clutch system too.
-Buy Cusco brake master cylinder stopper, increases pedal feel, as it soaks up any movement in the fire wall.

Once your've done this, you won't need to waste money on a brake upgrade. Use that money on other mods.

add some braided lines to that as well, it will work good with the brake stopper, especially if your car is getting old. goodridge lines can be had for 175 delivered (aus) from the states.

JMSBND
04-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Going to grab the Volks tomo. Volk CV Pro Forged Monoblock Rims. Not a bad deal at 650 bucks I think. My car is Monte Carlo Blue and the rims are powder coated a medium sort of metallic grey..................now should I pain them?

ludecrs
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Just buy my old rims - you know how they'd look on an MCB and all :p

JAP-S2K
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Yep! Paint them any colour except white.

JMSBND
04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Yep! Paint them any colour except white.

I was thinking white! Thought it would be nice with the MCB................

Why not white?:confused:

JMSBND
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Here they are.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/hondacoupe9s/MY%20HONDA%20S2000/wheels1.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/hondacoupe9s/MY%20HONDA%20S2000/wheels2.jpg

17x8 +45 front and 17x9 + 45 rear. I know I need to roll/trim bumper tab etc but I think they are a nice simple rim. They are powder coated a metallic grey - different and the centrecaps need to be painted the gold is not my thing. I was thinking of doing them all white.

I have Eibach pro kit lowered springs so I am hoping to run 225 45 front and 255 40 rear tyres..........without rubbing. Otherwise I may have to go 215 front and 245 rear but I would rather the larger ones if I can.

I paid $650.00 and I think for a brand name monoblock forged wheel that is a good deal. I have tried to stick to a tight budget on this weekend track car - the exhaust was all second hand spoon/hks, developing my own budget intake, installing my own clutch I like to see how cheap I can keep it with good quality stuff and still get a good result. Of course starting with an S2000 as a base makes the job pretty easy it's so good right out of the box!

James.

ludecrs
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I had Eibachs previously when i rocked the BBS / Apache's / ROH's etc.

A 225 45 and 255 40 will fit easy. :thumbsup:

JMSBND
04-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I had Eibachs previously when i rocked the BBS / Apache's / ROH's etc.

A 225 45 and 255 40 will fit easy. :thumbsup:

Nice one! More is better. I would have loved to buy your rims, but my budget didn't allow. I did want a pretty aggresive 17" offset wheel too. I need to keep money for the 4.77 final drive swap before the next track day!

JAP-S2K
05-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Why not white?:confused:

They look good, but suck trying to keep them clean:thumbdwn:

Your new rims look mad, I don't think i've seen these on an S2K.

JMSBND
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM
They look good, but suck trying to keep them clean:thumbdwn:

Your new rims look mad, I don't think i've seen these on an S2K.

I have never seen them either. I had the 3 piece version on my delsol about 6 years ago, but they look dated. These look a bit cleaner and simple - but they were cheap and they are light with the offset/width I want so win/win.

I don't mind cleaning rims - got a good washbay at work. You think white would look good on MCB?

JMSBND
05-07-2009, 01:05 AM
JAP-S2K what spec your rim/tyre combo offset etc? Looks like it sits nice too saw it in the clean S2K pic thread. Does it scrub at the track?

ludecrs
05-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I run white on MCB now. it looks very.... track looking. IMO the white is a little bit "too out there" against MCB but then again I'm someone who likes subtle stuff, so my argument is null & void. LOL.

JMSBND
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I run white on MCB now. it looks very.... track looking. IMO the white is a little bit "too out there" against MCB but then again I'm someone who likes subtle stuff, so my argument is null & void. LOL.

You? Subtle? I think Stevie Wonder even thinks your car isn't subtle!!!!

JAP-S2K
05-07-2009, 06:08 PM
JAP-S2K what spec your rim/tyre combo offset etc? Looks like it sits nice too saw it in the clean S2K pic thread. Does it scrub at the track?

Mine runs 18x8.5 +45 front and rear with 235/40 Dunlop Sport Maxx. It doesn't scrub at all, but it runs 3 deg neg on front, 4 deg neg on rear and both front and rear guards have been rolled and pushed out. I had plans to run 9.5 +38 on rear, but haven't had a chance to play with car recently.

I'm still laughing at LUDE thinking his car was subtle:p I'm keen to see how it's looking with them on.

Good purchase James! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!