PDA

View Full Version : HELP no 4th gear!

MacDiZZle
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
hey everyone! started having problems with getting my car into 4th gear last night... if im up shifting from 3rd its fine and slides right in like butter even at 8k revs but as soon as put it in 5th i cant downshift to fourth! it just wont go in unless the car drops below like 2000 rpm.

does anyone know why this is??? is it the synchros coz 3rd started to crunch a little while ago but i have never had any problems with 4th... i dont even downshift to 4th when im on the track (never go fast enough) so it doesnt even get a workout.

I changed the transmission oil out today so hopefully that might help.

Bludger
07-06-2009, 01:59 AM
We have a car with a ****ed 3rd gear.

2 - 3 = crunch\\

4 - 3 = ok.

definitely worn 3rd gear.

getting it fixed soon.

MacDiZZle
07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
but see it doesnt even crunch going from 5 to 4 it just wont go in! but as soon as i slide it in and out of 3rd itll go into 4th! dont even have to let the clutch out while its in third.
its weird hey...

anyone know how much it is to get a gearbox rebuilt? and where would you go in brisbane? i might put lsd in it

OMG.JAI xD
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Tried checking your shifter bushings arent worn?
The design of a 5 speed and 1 reverse gearbox is that 5th and reverse cannot be selected as easily as 1-4. It has that little step.
If you can get into 4th from 3rd without a crunch at high rpms. It wont be your gearbox dude.

aaronng
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Sounds like synchros if you can't downshift. Try double clutching. It it goes in when you doubleclutch, that means your synchros are worn out.

MacDiZZle
07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
na double clutching wont help! its just like there is no gear there lol

i think your right OMG.JAI... where are your shifter bushings? at the the bottom of your shifter? there is allot of sideways movement like left to right of the gear stick when its in gear.

OMG.JAI xD
08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
na double clutching wont help! its just like there is no gear there lol

i think your right OMG.JAI... where are your shifter bushings? at the the bottom of your shifter? there is allot of sideways movement like left to right of the gear stick when its in gear.

Under your car.
You have your shifter linkages.
And where it pivots you have bushings. They are very well known for cracking splitting over time, as they are rubber.

Basically you have the main shaft, that goes down from the cabin, which is your shifter. And on that you should have a long shaft going towards the gearbox. Youve just found yourself, the shifter linkages.
Follow that and inspect every single black coloured inserts. And youve sound your shifter bushings.

Not such a big job really.
Hoped it helped =]

MacDiZZle
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
lol thanks heaps, ill check it out thisarvo