PDA

View Full Version : Finding the TDC and the Cam Timing without Markings on the Pulley or the cam gears

FastFwd
08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
So basically i've finished my rebuild. I've gone to find the TDC (Top Dead Center) markings on the crank pulley but my Aem Lightweight pulley doesnt have any markings. Also my Aem Adjustable cam gears dont have the UP marking points in them.

So now that my cars back together its sitting there waiting for me to figure out what to do before i can start it. Can anyone help me find the TDC and the cam timing without the markings?

or is it worth it putting the stock Cam gears and crank pulley back on just to get this sorted out?

FastFwd
08-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Ok ive finally found Cam markings but the bottom pulley doesnt have any markings so i cant set the TDC.

fatboyz39
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
There is a marking on the crank pulley for TDC. Is the bottom timing cover on or off?

FastFwd
09-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Still on. The engine is complete in the car bar the timing belt setup.

I either put my stock lower pulley back on to get correct TDC or i remove everything and go buy the crank pulley TDC which i will have to take off the bottom pulley anyways.

CRXer
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
just drop something decent to measure with down the number 1 spark plug hole & rotate the motor till TDC,then mark the pulley against the block reference,simple.
rotate the motor a few more times & check your mark till your happy its right.

if you expect to be running real tight clearances,then get a decent measuring device to note TDC.

if u want to save the math on marking up 16deg btdc then get a dial back timing light,but the math really aint that hard to just measure it off tdc mark if your happy tdc is correct on the pulley.

FastFwd
09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
as first post explained. I have aftermarket Pulley which doesnt have a Mark on it. So the only way i can do it is drop something down the plug whole and get TDC that way.

fatboyz39
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
best to install the stock crank pulley back on. Should of line the bottom end to TDC before installing the head.

CRXer
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
but thats what im saying when i say "mark TDC",u have to mark it on the crank pulley that doesnt have the mark when u r happy that no 1 is at TDC.

the best & easiest way to do it,is actually see with your own eyes when no1 is at TDC,so yes drop something down the sparky hole to find where it is.the more time u spend marking TDC on the pulley,the more accurate your ignition timing is gonna end up.

FastFwd
09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Well the engine was always in the car for the rebuild. I never took it out to rebuild it so it wouldnt have mattered as far as the crank TDC marking. But yeh i could have lined up the pistons by sight and then left it like that. Probably should have but i forgot.

I'm either going to put the stock pulley back on tonight or try line it up the old fashioned way by putting a screw driver down #1 plug hole and lining it up that way.

CRXer
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
if u r gonna be expecting to set the ignition timing on multiple occassions for the expected life of the motor with the aftermarket pulley permanently attached,then spend the time now & get a decent TDC mark on the pulley,put a 16deg mark as well to save the expense on a dial back timing light.

and dont use a screwdriver & a rough eye off to set it especially if your pistons resemble something out of a ctr,at least get a decent bit of flat faced rod & the bigger the diameter that will still fit down the spark hole & the more vertical u can keep it the better.

FastFwd
09-06-2009, 02:16 PM
if u r gonna be expecting to set the ignition timing on multiple occassions for the expected life of the motor with the aftermarket pulley permanently attached,then spend the time now & get a decent TDC mark on the pulley,put a 16deg mark as well to save the expense on a dial back timing light.

and dont use a screwdriver & a rough eye off to set it especially if your pistons resemble something out of a ctr,at least get a decent bit of flat faced rod & the bigger the diameter that will still fit down the spark hole & the more vertical u can keep it the better.

ok cool so ill mark the aftermarket pulley for future timing. Cheers

TODA AU
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Or you could do it once & do it right using the correct tooling...
EG: TODA Piston TDC Guage
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/piston/gauge.jpg

FastFwd
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Or you could do it once & do it right using the correct tooling...
EG: TODA Piston TDC Guage
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/piston/gauge.jpg

Isnt this the same as a compression tester?

my comp tester looks just like this.

CRXer
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
no,its a dial indicator,piston pushes on pin at the bottom & moves dial,simple.

now that would be a novel idea,tryin to find TDC with a comp tester,ud prob get a better result by just guessing where TDC is,lol.

richy b
17-06-2009, 10:37 PM
another way, and a fairly easy way to check your at TDC no 1, is to set the crank at the exact mark on the case, and wiggle the tappets, closest to the cam gear, which is no 1. if both inlet and exhaust tappets move while wiggling it up and down, your at number one, if they dont, your at number 4. we do this at work when adjustig tappets, i gather it would be the same principle

FastFwd
17-06-2009, 11:36 PM
another way, and a fairly easy way to check your at TDC no 1, is to set the crank at the exact mark on the case, and wiggle the tappets, closest to the cam gear, which is no 1. if both inlet and exhaust tappets move while wiggling it up and down, your at number one, if they dont, your at number 4. we do this at work when adjustig tappets, i gather it would be the same principle

cheers richy....

got the car going 3-4 days ago but thanks anyways.