PDA

View Full Version : slight whine noise on short trips

drewh01
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

Have noticed lately that when driving my Integra VTi-R on short trips, soon after I start there is a high-pitched sort of whining noise (its not loud... but if I put the window down you can faintly hear it). When I come home and switch the engine off, the noise continues maybe 1-2 seconds after the engine shuts off and then stops. Also, its not linked to whether the AC is on or not.

I've noticed that the noise isnt there after a long drive (i.e. over 30-45 mins combined trip).

Also, I checked under the bonnet and tried to narrow down where the noise is coming from. It doesnt seem to be from the alternator (the sound is more to the left, almost just behind the engine head), and obviously also not from the power steering pump or from the A/C compressor.

Any ideas?

sammy342
09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
sounds like something to do with vaccum due to the fact that it continues after u switch the engine off just check all the hoses are on properly and not cracked and make sure the pcv valve is hasnt sucked up something small causing the air to make noise as it travels through the pcv valve (possibly a whistling noise) also check the air box its closed and all clips/clamps for the duct are on correct and havent come loose and the air filter is in correct let us know how ya go ay.....

bennjamin
09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Do you have a aftermarket pod or intake ?

The noise is the engine sucking thru air as it shuts down. More obvious with a free flowing pod etc. Don't worry it's completly normal.

drewh01
09-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi, thanks for replies.

No the intake and air filter is all completely stock. The noise itself is there while the car/engine is running, but I meant that when I shut the engine off it continues for a few seconds (I mentioned that as it might narrow down what is could be).

To the first reply - by vacuum what are you referring to? just the whole intake section through to the manifold etc?

Zilli
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
you know what, i have to say ive experienced this too... cant hear it while im driving, but when i shut the car down its like a buzzing/whirring sound... kinda like a fuel pump but much quieter... i've just ignored it

bennjamin
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
If your car has abs it could be the pump winding down too.

Zilli
10-06-2009, 12:10 PM
where is the pump located Benn?

bennjamin
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
where is the pump located Benn?

Engine bay....Drivers side. Look for the ABS motor with all the metal pipes poking out of it !

bennjamin
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.popnow.cn/car/news/product/20070405141815.jpg

on an integra - on a EK its located just below the brake booster

quenjose
12-06-2009, 04:47 PM
you sure its not the alternator?

My alternator used to give out a high-pitched whine...
The whine used to manifest itself on cold morning starts or cold days.

Sprayed abit of inox behind the pulley and the whine disappeared.

PS. couldnt figure out where the whine was coming from at first, so i attacked every pulley shaft one by one till it stopped... it stopped when i got to the alternator :)

sammy342
12-06-2009, 04:53 PM
like i ment all vaccum lines hose etc

Zilli
12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
hmmmm... cool... no my noise is a electric kind of very feint whine from the rear... oh well... hasnt caused me any issues for 9 years so i'll continue ignoring it

LOL