PDA

View Full Version : melb: dc2 clutch change

kenshin
04-11-2004, 08:00 PM
hey guys... anyone in melb have or know where i can hire a engine hoist or support bar + crane in order for me to do a clutch swap over?

or if anyone has one would they lend it to me for a day or so ?

other than that... anyone done a clutch change without using proper tools ... hehe and willing to write a short guide would be appreciated...

McChook
04-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I've done it on my old car - with a jack and axel stands - not a fun job.... need 2 people if you know what you are doing, 5 if you are kinda lost...

I honeslty do recommend doing it at home - worth paying someone - because there's too much risk in fugging it up - it doesn't tkae much to fugg up

kenshin
04-11-2004, 09:24 PM
my bro was a mechanic... he knows how to do the work
cept he doesnt have the right tools...
i know my way in an engine bay so i can give him a hand...

sharik
04-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Motorware in Clayton might be able to help you.

kenshin
05-11-2004, 12:05 AM
they're soooooooooo unhelpful... last time i called them they were rude on the phone

DCLXVI
05-11-2004, 01:32 AM
motorware major in sellin parts and accessories.. go somewhere else if u wanna get the clutch done.

type one
05-11-2004, 11:36 AM
there is a member on this board with a hoist... wait for him to reply.

wynode
05-11-2004, 11:51 AM
You don't need a hoist to change the clutch.

Just support the gearbox and engine (via the sump) with a jack/jackstands and then unbolt the gearbox. from its mounts as well as the engine :)

Here's a link (http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139802&highlight=clutch+install) that Weq found which outlines the change on a civic (same deal pretty much for DC2!

kenshin
05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks wynode... always appreciate your advice/guides ;)

type one... lemmeeeee asap if you wanna sell da flywheel/clutch :)

ECU-MAN
05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
clutches are easy to do on the floor. just use good stands.

I always support the engin with a 2Tonne Jack when I pull out Auto or Manual boxes, if you dont want to lift out the box you dont have to, you can temporarily put an axel stan under the sump more towards the exhaust under pipe while you use your jack to lower the box. I like useing a jack under the sump coz some times you need to lift or drop the engine when lining up the tranny to the block. dont use a shit supa cheep pissy jack, they wint go high enough or the tranny might even slip off. use a real jack so there is less risk of hurting yourself or your car.

I dont use any special tools to do such a job, most common tools will do. eg metric spanners and sockets, air gun, ( hand tools will also work with more effort) . I line up the clutch friction plate by eye, although there is a special tool to help that part. make sure you change your spiggot and thrust bearing. dont get offended but dont forget to fill it up with oil when your done. dont let the engin sag too much down you could do damage to wiring, hoses and pullys. put split pins back in and stake your cv nuts as well. disconnect the battery 1ST both terminals.

if you want more tips let me know.