PDA

View Full Version : "miscellaneous" sale thread

Zilli
10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey all,

was thinking today it would be nice as a complementary component to our site, and community, to have a for sale thread which allows us to sell miscellaneous goods. Kinda like our non-honda related possessions... it can be controlled under the same guidelines as the normal marketplace threads in so much as only being available to members who have contributed...

thoughts?

bennjamin
10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Brought up in years passed , will never happen though.

We have massive influx of people signing up just to sell car parts then disappear - allowing other items will only further inflame the problem.

Selling items is a privelage for those that earn the right to do so.

Zilli
10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
just a question...

obviously you have the means of tracking who uses what part of the forum... but can we then track whether those people are causing other issues on the site? i mean the people who just sign up to sell?

Can i presume we are trying to eliminate:

1) People selling potentially stolen goods
2) some sort of cost based issue with having too many members?

Excuse the second question im not too clued up on the specifics...

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
sorry bro but it won't happen.
Try JDMST, its your first and last hope

vtec_jet
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
You will find that new members will sign up, make stupid posts everywhere to get their post count up , sell their items, then never come back.

Although i would like to post Misc items to sell, as i have so much to get rid of.

Just my 2c. .

Zilli
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
i figured as much Lloyd... but seeing so many similarities between the two in so many ways, would be interesting to see how they deal with it?

suppose it doesnt matter as it is just different

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
lol@Jet, its not about post count.

But there are a multiple of differences too.
It doesn't bother me that misc things cannot be sold here but then again i'd only be selling my soul

Twincam16
10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I have joined other forums in the past that require not only a minimum post count (in specific sections) but also a timeframe of say 60 days before you are able to access that area (which should be good enough to turn away people only looking to sell a product). But AFAIK that wasnt a vBulletin forum

vtec_jet
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
lol@Jet, its not about post count.

Well i would assume before you are allowed to post a thread, you must contribute a certain amount of post's to the forums.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was when i first joined up.

2MPRSS
10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
i wish ozhonda had this option

dc2dc2dc2
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
dont even think about it ozhonda

DONT

Twincam16
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I dont know why it would be necessary when you could just use BC or another forum which already has existing section for this kind of item

Zilli
10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
not necessary per se'... just an added bonus of being part of the community i suppose...

jks24
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I dont know why it would be necessary when you could just use BC or another forum which already has existing section for this kind of item

this, as above have said, alot would be joining just to sell there junk that they dont want. there would be alot of people who dont have a single interest in hondas joining just to sell there misc items

Zilli
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
how? just miraculously find themselves on a site for Honda's to sell their washing machine? cmon man get real...

bennjamin
11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
how? just miraculously find themselves on a site for Honda's to sell their washing machine? cmon man get real...

You should think outside the box.

People WILL...join whatever they can for coverage. They do it here already....try to slip in non-honda or car parts too.
It isnt going to happen.

Its easy to pay abit and advertise on Tradingpost etc.

Zilli
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
i don't agree that someone who has absolutely no inclination to motor vehicle enthusiasm of some sort would go to the effort of signing up to a site like this one to sell their wares, Honda related or otherwise. By nature one would have to have some motoring enthusiasm to find or be led to a site like this, but that is just my opinion.

Unless i am completely and utterly misguided by the tracking ability of the forum you wouldn't be able gauge this enthusiasm without having close personal contact with the person, as simply using the sale forum doesn't indicate that they dont have a passion for Honda's. In fact, there needs to be proven contribution before one can view the marketplace anyway, which covers that off anyway. IF people then only choose to view and use the marketplace following this predetermined period, this isn't indicative of any harm to the nature of the site, because a lot of people may choose not to make any contribution anyway, rather to research and read on what is already available...

anyway, point taken, thanks for leaving it open for this long, close the thread...

wynode
21-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Seemed to have missed this thread hence my late reply.

The thing is that the main purpose of the Marketplace is for members to buy/sell their Honda items. Unfortunately there are scammers out there who will pretend to sell a Honda item only to take off with your money.

So in a nutshell the reason we don't allow it is:

We don't see selling non-Honda items as a priority. Especially since there are other sites that allow you to do this, quite often for free
We would like to deter scammers

kazam
22-06-2009, 10:32 PM
hi,

in terms of 'scammers' how common a problem is this on ozhonda? it seems most the scammers ARE long time members of the forum, selling honda items, escaping with money etc...

and how does advertising a non-honda item differ from posting pictures etc of non-honda cars?

I agree that if there was a 60 day limit and post count limit prior to posting it'd be unlikel yanybody would be bothered just signing up to sell / scam people.....

Q_ball
22-06-2009, 10:34 PM
and how does advertising a non-honda item differ from posting pictures etc of non-honda cars?

Do you honestly need someone to spell this out for you?

kazam
22-06-2009, 10:37 PM
could u do me the honour sweetheart?

wynode
23-06-2009, 09:01 AM
hi,

in terms of 'scammers' how common a problem is this on ozhonda? it seems most the scammers ARE long time members of the forum, selling honda items, escaping with money etc...

Care to back that up with some evidence?

He (and us) have better things to do.

Zilli
23-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Seemed to have missed this thread hence my late reply.

The thing is that the main purpose of the Marketplace is for members to buy/sell their Honda items. Unfortunately there are scammers out there who will pretend to sell a Honda item only to take off with your money.

So in a nutshell the reason we don't allow it is:

We don't see selling non-Honda items as a priority. Especially since there are other sites that allow you to do this, quite often for free
We would like to deter scammers

I understand your motives Wyn, no one wants to get scammed, or wants to own an entity that facilitates that sort of behaviour amongst its user base...

I suppose my short sighted view is that the forum is a community as much as it is a knowledge resource... so from that perspective i thought this would be a nice add-on to have to boost that "community feel", and offer members, maybe even just paying members the ability to partake in one deeper step in community participation.

Thanks for getting back though mate, hope you're well

joyride
23-06-2009, 09:18 AM
i'll try and help wynode answer some questions.

with reference to the 'community feel', the moderator team have put in several suggestions to allow members more freedom and choices within the forum. wyn is slowly but surely putting them out for everyone to take advantage of, and there will be more to come.

as for the security of the site and its members, the moderator team are also going through the whole forum looking for cracks that potential thieves, scammers and non-registered users may try and abuse.

we're working hard to keep OH a safe and friendly place, and any suggestions you have are welcome.

90LAN
23-06-2009, 09:30 AM

because they dont know what honda means
and it doesnt say it in the rules that you cant post non honda content
but obviously with a title like ozhonda you would know what it means

maybe you could sell non honda related items in your signature
that way its not a formal forsale thread
and the interested buyer would follow up with the op
so really ozhonda doesnt have to do anything with it
and buyers buy at thier own risk

and non members cant use this sig feature to sell non honda parts
so it isnt abused

its not like traders on here would not be selling non honda related parts
so it doesnt affect them

kazam
23-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Care to back that up with some evidence?

Straight off the top of my head, Dyno Dave and that other guy that scammed a member into buying kingsprings and rims for dirt cheap "bcoz they were both asian"..... dyno dave scammed as far as i no 3 or 4 for over 20grand and i can't remember who the other member was but the person who got scammed said they where a reputable long-time member....

He (and us) have better things to do.

always a pleasure wynode.

joyride
23-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Straight off the top of my head, Dyno Dave and that other guy that scammed a member into buying kingsprings and rims for dirt cheap "bcoz they were both asian"..... dyno dave scammed as far as i no 3 or 4 for over 20grand and i can't remember who the other member was but the person who got scammed said they where a reputable long-time member....
i vaguely recall this "kingspring cause we're asian" situation.
was this resolved? did the person that got scammed ask for moderator assistance? i wasnt a moderator at the time so i dont know if that person did contact the moderator team.
if it hasnt, he/she should read paragraph 30 of the T&C.
this should be a reminder for all of the members be always be careful when buying/selling online (not just on OH).

Zilli
23-06-2009, 11:37 AM
^ Agreed... T&C's should be read, but often aren't... maybe a reminder in the for sale forum...

joyride
23-06-2009, 11:57 AM
we could put a sticky in the FS section but most people dont even read that either. i'll have one of the mods do it though.

wynode
23-06-2009, 02:23 PM

That's one case (which I wasn't informed about). However you implied there are of other (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2322073&postcount=19) cases. Also that the sellers ripping people off are long time members.

The thing is that you do trade at your own risk and that is made clear in the T&C which you signed up to. That said we have provided tips on how to trader with some protection here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11&a=10).

In fact it is also in the Announcements (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11) within the marketplace. Not too long ago there were a few concerns raised and we made it easier (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98263&highlight=marketplace) to submit complaints about dodgy sellers. The trader rating (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11&a=4) system is in place for people to post their trading experiances. If we do have multiple complaints against a particular user then I will follow it up with that particular user. However if you guys do not read our guides / process for making a complaint then we have no way of knowing when a seller is making off with peoples money.

So to summarise:
1. We have tips (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11&a=10)for making your buying / selling safer
2. We have a process for submitting feedback (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9116) against a particular seller (or buyer)
3. If you clearly got ripped off we have a system in place where we can track complaints (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11&a=4) about dodgy sellers. If we have multiple complaints against a particular user then we will follow up with that user.

If you guys can think of anything else to improve the above then I'm open for suggestions.

^ Agreed... T&C's should be read, but often aren't... maybe a reminder in the for sale forum...

Kaylan, I think I've included most of the links in the above post however all that users need to know are either in stickies or in the announcements section of the Marketplace.

Zilli
23-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Cheers Wyn... on a side note, i suppose what your saying is no chance of a misc sales thread ? :-)

If so thanks for clearing up, lets close this puppy down

wynode
23-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Pretty much :)

Never say never though....because things do change over time!

Closed as requested.