PDA

View Full Version : EG B18CR Basic Sussy Advice Needed...

iijjee
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
My B18CR EG has good sussy and it handled well at Wakefield, very little understeer off corners and nice traces of manageable oversteer entering a corner.

My prob is that our local roads are really rough and the bump stops have long ago smashed free. Especially driver's side fronts! And tyres rub on outside fronts and both inside and outside on the rear!!!

OK, what to do.

Need to replace front shocks with something with bump stops and a firm ride, not bone-jarring!

Need to adjust height up ever so slightly, too, I think... I go thru front tyres every 5000km because of the camber wear!

Suggestions?!? Not interested in coilovers or superlows. Don't want too spend to much, but want to be able to slap it on the track again one day!

Not sure what my current setup actually is but it may be ITR gear!?!

Benson
11-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Get a camber kit for camber wear

ITR shock and spring are a good upgrade combo

SPEEDCORE
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Need to adjust height up ever so slightly, too, I think... I go thru front tyres every 5000km because of the camber wear!

Exactly how low is the car from standard?

You said you were not interested in superlows which makes me think you are not excessively lowered as is.... I'd be getting your toe settings checked because it sounds like this is not camber wear.

chargeR
11-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Meh at camber kit. What is the current setup? Very difficult for anyone to advise if you haven't given all the details. Wear on the tyres points to alignment problems that haven't been addressed.

iijjee
13-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Still haven't had a chance to take a daylight peek or pic to show you what is under there but from my car's height I'm guessing the springs might be superlows and the shocks nothing special. Will try and take a photo tomorrow to get an official report from the experts out there. Here two pics of my car. Low enough that my headers need replacing very soon! Fronts def have plenty of camber. Great for Wakefield - not for Murwillumbah roads!

Sir_vtec
14-06-2009, 12:56 AM
If your that worried about the local roads then your best going stock itr suspension, and go get a alignment for the car as speedcore mentioned that it could be your toe as well but from the pics you have included the car is definitely lower then superlow spring set up. Looks like its camber and toe that is causing excessive uneven tread wear. Forget a camber kit, just go itr stock sussy with a alignment and you should be good but if you still having uneven tread wear then i d look at a camber kit.

bennjamin
14-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Get a camber kit for ...combo

If the ride height isn't too much of a drastic drop , then a camber kit front or rear is not warranted nor worth the possible issues that invaribly arise from using "kits" ( ie becomes a weak point in the suspension)
Don't forget to rotate tyres at intervals too !

All a car needs is a consistent good front n rear alignment to keep toe in line and this reduce tyre wear and increase longevity.

iijjee
14-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Took a few pics of the current susp setup at the front. Anyone who can identify these springs? I'd be surprised if the shocks weren't stock EG. They have EG 1993 on them! I'm pretty settled on lifting the car up just a little. Current ground clearance is 110mm at front and barely legal 100mm near mid-section of exhaust... Ideas?!?

bennjamin
15-06-2009, 09:34 PM
JUST from the colour....they appear to be WHITELINE springs (old design)

iijjee
15-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Car needs to be a little higher for our roads... it's tyres tuck into the guards by half and inch to an inch (lovely to look at but a genuine scraper round town!). I need some suggestions for a slightly lowered stance but with excellent handling capabilities for possible future track trips. Looks come second to performance in my books!

Ideas..>!

STiR
15-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Look for a low km set of ITR shocks and springs. If you can live with your springs, get some KONI shock inserts and that will suffice you nicely. Followed of course by a good alignment.

iijjee
15-06-2009, 11:37 PM
So option 1 - ITR setup, option 2 - keep springs and koni shocks????

I might be losing focus but that's how I read your response?!? Clarify???

STiR
16-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Yes, that's right. If you're not happy with the ride height and you feel it's getting sloppy, your solution may be found by replacing shocks and springs with good all rounder which is ITR stock set up. It will be a good cost effective approach.

If you're finding the suspension a bit sloppy and you have uneven tyre wear you are advised first to get your suspension bushes checked out - if you haven't changed them, they're likely to be badly worn and some might be torn.

Back to suspension... if you like the current height and suspect the shocks are tired then getting some KONI shock inserts will be a great option. It allows adjustability of shock rebound and compression (one combined adjustment), making it great for street and track. Better performance than ITR shocks (and they will be brand new), though more expensive.

If you're bushes are damaged though, you should replace them first. That will cause problems regardless of your suspension set up.

iijjee
16-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Are the shock inserts just an add-on for my old shocks?

I value your advice as you seem to have some know-how, plus good taste in cars! (We've got a big-turbo'd XT Foz in the garage - thus my sig!).

STiR
16-06-2009, 11:26 AM
The KONIs are shock absorbers which replace your old ones. I refer to them as inserts because with subarus you're required to use the standard spring perches and literally insert the shocks into that. With the honda's i'm not sure how they fit them.

The advantage with using the ITR shocks and springs is that they are well matched. My only concern would be to find a low condition set. I'd do this for simplicity and low cost, and you can always upgrade the shocks to KONI later on.

Thanks mate, go the FOZ! What turbo you got in there? I'm rocking a TD05 20-G on my STi hehe

iijjee
16-06-2009, 12:04 PM
OK so source the Koni's from a sussie shop?

Anyone got a full ITR front or Front/rear suspension setup for sale???

(Yeah the Foz has the stock MY04 Sti TD05 I think, boost later but harder. My Civic has run a 13.78 but the Foz is quicker in a straight line! You car must be a 12 sec beast!)

STiR
16-06-2009, 12:39 PM
It will do 11s :). MY04 STi turbo would be an IHI VF35.

Decent suspension shops will be able to supply and fit them for you. If not, you can get them from someone like www.tuspeed.com.au and have them fitted by suspension shop. Check out for sale section, usually a few ITR shock and spring sets available.

iijjee
16-06-2009, 01:04 PM
OK Thanks!

(Def a TD05 maybe a 16G or something?!? Came on the car and hard to see all the digits down in there!)

STiR
16-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Would be from an earlier model wrx then (94-96)

iijjee
16-06-2009, 05:02 PM
STIR your EG looks great. Love to know what intake setup that is! What are those headers? What does your EG weigh? Done any laps at WP yet? Would love to copy your interior minimalist approach but have two youngens that beg to come with daddy as often as they can ("Drive fast dad!" - covers ears)

Starting to get sidetracked....... still looking for some ITR Springs and Shocks or similar guys........ PM Me!

bennjamin
16-06-2009, 05:13 PM
post a WTB post in the correct section...

string
16-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I have nearly -4* camber on the front with eye-ball aligned toe, and after around 2000km including a trackday at Wakefield I haven't noticed anymore than maybe 0.25mm wear on the front left, less everywhere else. Going through tyres every 5000km sounds very wrong - toe kills tyres: worn bushings? terrible alignment?