PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air intake for DC2R

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey guys

I've had a SRI in my car for a while and I really love the whistling noise that you get around 3000rpm.... I'm thinking about upgrading to a CAI for possibly more power and if I can get a louder whistle sound.

What kind of CAI should I get to get the best noise/performance? I don't wanna spend more than around $400... where is a good place to look in Melbourne? I've tried ebay, but nothing there

what would be a realistic expectation on noise....would it sound anything like spooling on a turbo? hehe

sorry if this topic has been covered before.... please help a brother out ;)

pauly_231
12-06-2009, 10:47 AM
get a injen!

loudest intake for the dc2r

+ dyno proven

wouldnt be much more than $400

and youll still have a whistle sound..

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 10:56 AM
thanks pauly... is that what you have in your car? I was just wonder how low the filter actually sits from the ground... the last thing i wanna do is suck up water if i drive thru puddles... or even driving thru the rain when the water is flicking up from the front wheels

imratedpg
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah go injen bang for buck
depends how low ur car is, the pods gonna get wet but wont suck up water unless its submerged in water

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I've done a search on injen filters and there's one that's waterproof? anyone used it before?

lil_foy
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Cai's are fine with rain.
Unless the filter is fully submerged there wont be any hassles with it sucking up substantial amounts of water.
Aslong as you have your splashguard there will be very very very minimal amounts of water spraying onto it.
Little drops will actually be beneficial, See: Water Injection Cooling.

Imo, go to a reputable exhaust shop and get a custom polished stainless steel one made for a cheaper price. That way you can even ask them to slightly direct the pipe up the guard if you really feel it's needed.

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Cai's are fine with rain.
Unless the filter is fully submerged there wont be any hassles with it sucking up substantial amounts of water.
Aslong as you have your splashguard there will be very very very minimal amounts of water spraying onto it.
Little drops will actually be beneficial, See: Water Injection Cooling.

Imo, go to a reputable exhaust shop and get a custom polished stainless steel one made for a cheaper price. That way you can even ask them to slightly direct the pipe up the guard if you really feel it's needed.

I've seen custom pipes from exhaust shops, but they look horrible because of the welding marks from all the small pipes that get joint together....or maybe it was just a shit job that someone did?

Tegzieboi_BAR
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
that was probably a DIY... good exhaust shops will get a long piece of piping and mandrell bend it... wont be any weld marks on it.

Or at least weld together a few pre-bent pieces, after polish the weld spots will be barely noticeable. I personally think open filter intakes wouldnt be as good as somethin like a mugen airbox (powerwise) but if ur after sound (which i personally got sick of as it sounds like ur gunning ur car when ur slowly takin off at the lights) then an SRI or Injen/aem type intake is the way 2 go!!!

CRXDEL501
12-06-2009, 01:58 PM
injen/fujita/aem.

with blox filter and velocity stack. just ordered mine :thumbsup::D

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
i'm mainly doing this for the noise...hehe... i like the spooling kind of noise, but don't wanna own a turbo car...haha

Zilli
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
not everyone can mandrel bend tubing of that thickness thats why its hard to find a shop that can do it... i would think also that its not just a matter of neding some pipes, i would say the lengths etc have been tested to ensure some tiny power increase...

ive had mine for years (Injen) never had a problem, good quality piece, sounds crazy, and i just avoid water...

you'll never suck of water unless you drive into a puddle of water that will submerge the entire filter, and if you do, you will have water in your car as it would have to be higher than the bottom doorline to fully submerge

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
injen/fujita/aem.

with blox filter and velocity stack. just ordered mine :thumbsup::D

where did u order from?

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 02:02 PM
not everyone can mandrel bend tubing of that thickness thats why its hard to find a shop that can do it... i would think also that its not just a matter of neding some pipes, i would say the lengths etc have been tested to ensure some tiny power increase...

ive had mine for years (Injen) never had a problem, good quality piece, sounds crazy, and i just avoid water...

you'll never suck of water unless you drive into a puddle of water that will submerge the entire filter, and if you do, you will have water in your car as it would have to be higher than the bottom doorline to fully submerge

cool.... sounds like the Injen is the way to go.... how much did u pay for urs? and where did u buy it from?

CRXDEL501
12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
where did u order from?

fujita intake from the u.s when the exchange rates were good. 350 shipped.

blox intake filter and velocity stack from yonas at jdmyard

Zilli
12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
i got mine from JDMYard a number of years ago, i think it was about $450...

also, the whilsting is not at an RPM on my car, it depends on how much throttle you apply... and it wont sound like a turbo spooling anytime... ever... :-)

If it does it means you arent throttling enough :-P

teggiboy
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
i got mine from JDMYard a number of years ago, i think it was about $450...

also, the whilsting is not at an RPM on my car, it depends on how much throttle you apply... and it wont sound like a turbo spooling anytime... ever... :-)

If it does it means you arent throttling enough :-P

hhhmmm.... i've heard a CAI on my friend's corolla, and it sounds crazy when it idles... full on tornado noises sucking in air...but as he drives, u can't hear it coz his exhaust is too loud.... i'm not sure if the CAI will make much more noticeable noise compared to my SRI

imratedpg
12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
hhhmmm.... i've heard a CAI on my friend's corolla, and it sounds crazy when it idles... full on tornado noises sucking in air...but as he drives, u can't hear it coz his exhaust is too loud.... i'm not sure if the CAI will make much more noticeable noise compared to my SRI

yes it wud be loud... well when u hit vtec u will hear it suck in alot of air or if u throttle hard at 3000 u wud hear it too

EG5
12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
For BLOX velocity stack + filter kit , PM me.
We got them in stock

We are also INJEN Authorised dealer

Philip Lee
12-06-2009, 03:11 PM

i have a CAI on my car with stock exhaust.

i only hear the sucking noise at idle. its very quiet during normal driving but when vtec kicks in, it really scream!!

Zilli
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
i cant hear the intake when it's idling... but can when im driving... it is very loud... but SRI will always be louder

CRXDEL501
12-06-2009, 04:22 PM
For BLOX velocity stack + filter kit , PM me.
We got them in stock

We are also INJEN Authorised dealer

yonas...
its massive man
i hope it fits in there haha.
i opened and and wowwwwww!!!!!

i can see why its louder haha :thumbsup:

blox ftw!!!!!

rmalov
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
fujita is the same as injen i reckon better, 100$ or so cheaper too, injean is overrated in price i reckon ur paying for the bs name, i got a fujita 1 and it skreamz like hell, the whistleing does my head in becuz u can hear it from a mile away,

does any1 noe why it whistles so much? i mean i drive past people and they fink im whistlein at them its way too loud of a whistl.

xQuizit
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Fujita is better then injen.. "In May of 2007, Fujita Air was victorious against Injen Technology in a lengthy trial" taken off fujita website.. btw its also cheaper