PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing off the rev-limiter

SiR
15-11-2003, 01:19 AM
First time that's ever happened to me today. Was damn tired (only 2 hours of sleep last night) and distracted by a guy in his Mini Cooper trying to 'drag' me at the lights. He totally jumped on me, but I managed to gain back the lost ground before he could pull in front of me.

Anyway, what I really want to ask is how bad is it for the car to bounce off the rev-limiter? I felt like I hurt my baby :lol: and don't ever want to do that again...

Setanta
15-11-2003, 07:50 AM
In the 3 years+ that I've owned my SiR I've done it maybe a dozen times by being over-enthusiastic. It's not a nice feeling is it? Kind of like a kick in the balls physically and emotionally when you realise what you've done. The pain takes a while to dissipate. The point is that the rev limiter is there to save the engine and it cuts in before you can hit the damage zone.

Take your baby to the car wash, give it an extra coat of wax and tell it that you promise you'll never do it again ;)

2ds
15-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Don't worry about it because you would have caused far more damage if you had have over-revved the engine, just don't make a habit of it

-2ds

jenova
15-11-2003, 09:29 AM
dont worry about it, the rev limiter is there to prevent u from over rev, u should be worried when it doesn't kick in.

luzinit
15-11-2003, 11:03 AM
In the 3 years+ that I've owned my SiR I've done it maybe a dozen times by being over-enthusiastic. It's not a nice feeling is it? Kind of like a kick in the balls physically and emotionally when you realise what you've done. The pain takes a while to dissipate. The point is that the rev limiter is there to save the engine and it cuts in before you can hit the damage zone.

Take your baby to the car wash, give it an extra coat of wax and tell it that you promise you'll never do it again ;)

hhahaha that is sooo true,, u kind of know that its not doing that much harm, but at the same time ur like "Awwwww pooor car, are u alrite??? damnn i wont do that again, sorrrrry" hahaha

i've done it once and i felt so bad i said to myself that i wont vtec for the next week or so haha :D

SiR
15-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Nah, it isn't a nice feeling at all, but at least I know what it feels like to hit the rev-limiter in my car after 3 years of owning it! I hope I don't ever do that again :lol:

fried
15-11-2003, 08:29 PM
HA....
iwas in 4th doing 110.....on a freeway type road mind you,.. and i thought .. well actually i wasnt thinking, and to be honest i didnt know until after this happened, but i just dropped second, ... and VRAAAMP VRAPPP VRAMMMP VRAPPPP..... it bounced about four times before i realised what had just occured, then i put her back into forth.

now i know that 1st gear goes to about 70-80, 2nd to 100, thrid to 140, and then end of 4th is around up to 200.....

now i know... now i know....

my poor baby.

guess its all about getting to know ur car.

joneblaze
16-11-2003, 02:22 AM
HA....
iwas in 4th doing 110.....on a freeway type road mind you,.. and i thought .. well actually i wasnt thinking, and to be honest i didnt know until after this happened, but i just dropped second, ... and VRAAAMP VRAPPP VRAMMMP VRAPPPP..... it bounced about four times before i realised what had just occured, then i put her back into forth.

now i know that 1st gear goes to about 70-80, 2nd to 100, thrid to 140, and then end of 4th is around up to 200.....

now i know... now i know....

my poor baby.

guess its all about getting to know ur car.

...mupapapa....thats what u get for challenging the might of GSi :P...... it WAS a pretty funny sight having u square in my rearview mirror tho...... :twisted:

.......4 times...... ouch.... :roll:

bennjamin
16-11-2003, 08:43 AM
4th into 2nd ? APART from compression braking in a RWD car....HOW did u mange this one dood ? :P DAm, that must of hurt....Id hope all ur valves are ok , plus hope that ur timing belt isnt hanging by a thread now due to the sudden ATTACK! ehehhe

What can i say- its ok to miss a gear on upshift (who hasnt) but going down is NOT COOL !

BTW Jon ur gsi isnt a normal car....its a G(si)-TECH powered beast :D

poid
16-11-2003, 09:57 AM
i wouldnt worry about it, a mate of mine bounced his CRX's rev limit daily...i think the engine had about half a million km's on it when it was finally taken out for a rebuild :P

mo
16-11-2003, 10:39 AM
WTF eric? i don't understand how you can go from 4th into 2nd? aren't they right next to each other? :? :?

fried
16-11-2003, 08:07 PM
4th.....110.... put in neutral, clutch out, revd to about 4ish, clutch in into 2nd, clutch out, accelrated.. :)

mo
16-11-2003, 08:09 PM
lol....i'd never know :wink: not until may2004 :D

weezer
17-11-2003, 01:57 AM
I've been doing it for 3 years. It doesnt really hurt it. Its there to save your car from over reving.

My cars done heaps of kms now and its still going strong.

http://element.wh3rd.net/videos/weezer.mpeg <--vid of my car hitting rev limit about 30 times :lol:

[[d a n n y]]
17-11-2003, 07:25 AM
weezer haha ur a funny 1 i recall though it's more than 30 :D

lolz

one more chance
19-11-2003, 01:52 PM
the rev-cut is there for a reason, and that is so you push your engine to the limits, in the comfort of a set out rev-limit that the factory has selected for you. revving to cut-out point is ok, but obviously use it in moderation... the rev-cut is put in there so that your standard engine doesnt rev the fcuk out to 10,000..then you'll have piston number 2 leave a nice fat impression in the walls.
the other thing is too, once your engine hits redline, in most cars its already outside its efficiency and will likely not be making any additional power.

mo
19-11-2003, 02:04 PM
that's why on the factory manual books they say like 118kw @ xxxxrpm, anything past that rpm usually doesn't make any more additional power. well for a stock car wise

*i think*

one more chance
19-11-2003, 02:44 PM
that's why on the factory manual books they say like 118kw @ xxxxrpm, anything past that rpm usually doesn't make any more additional power. well for a stock car wise

*i think*

also add into the equation that the car is not tuned to go pass the revlimit as well! it won't have the correct setting to make the car run efficient enough!

Civic Type R
19-11-2003, 02:56 PM
now i know that 1st gear goes to about 70-80, 2nd to 100, thrid to 140, and then end of 4th is around up to 200......
For the civic with B16A (same tranny as EK9 CTR) its redlines are:
1st 60km/h
2nd 100km/h
3rd 140km/h
4th 180km/h
5th dunno - only got to 215 and that was at 7300ish

Civic Type R
19-11-2003, 03:02 PM
my point to this question - is it safe ?
well go back to the dyno charts and look at the power curves for your engine. recognise where the max is and you will see a sharp decline in power after that point.
Say a B16A has its max 160hp at 7300rpm and a redline of 8000. Why revv past its max power rpm of 7300? The engine is losing power after this rpm point :wink:

Hitting the revv limiter is safe but its the car telling you "you fooooool"

fried
19-11-2003, 03:26 PM
:cry:

my car says that all the time...... :evil:

XXpl0Sive
19-11-2003, 03:39 PM
How did you get it into 2nd at 100km/h?

Isn't there a physical barrier that prevents you from downshifting at such high speeds?

Eg. You can't shift into 1 if you are going over 20km/h

Civic Type R
19-11-2003, 03:41 PM
How did you get it into 2nd at 100km/h?

Isn't there a physical barrier that prevents you from downshifting at such high speeds?

Eg. You can't shift into 1 if you are going over 20km/h

ummm where did i say anything about downshifting ?

reaching 100 in second is easy - try it !

p.s. you can down shift into any gear, its takes talent and clutch/throttle timing :)

XXpl0Sive
19-11-2003, 03:47 PM
When did I say I was talking about you, I was talking about Eric.
I cannot physically move my gear stick into second if travelling 100km/h.

Civic Type R
19-11-2003, 03:53 PM

but why would you ?
the art of downshifting successfully is knowing where the redlines are for the gear you're changing to. So if your in 3rd and 4th and you try to change to second, it can and has been done but NOT RECOMMENDED.
However doing so is pointless.

wynode
19-11-2003, 05:20 PM
1st is pretty much impossible to get into unless you rev match PROPERLY.

Other gears (when downshifting into) are a lot more forgiving than 1st :)

XXpl0Sive
19-11-2003, 05:34 PM

but why would you ?
the art of downshifting successfully is knowing where the redlines are for the gear you're changing to. So if your in 3rd and 4th and you try to change to second, it can and has been done but NOT RECOMMENDED.
However doing so is pointless. :evil: :evil: :evil: omg read Eric's post.

Civic Type R
19-11-2003, 05:41 PM

but why would you ?
However doing so is pointless. :evil: :evil: :evil: omg read Eric's post.
I have.
Eric just showed us what happens if you do it :wink: