PDA

View Full Version : Weird Sound coming the front - DC5R

Anthony38
13-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey dudes,

I've had this problem for awhile now but never got around in posting something on the forums. I hope you have can give me some insight.

I have a clicking or clunk/thumping sound when I change from 1st to 2nd gear and on the odd occasion when turning the steering wheel left or right. The sound seems to be coming from around the wheel base around and surrounding area as though a particular component is loose or shifting.I must say over the years the car seems to be not as solid as it to be, but I am not a driver who totally trashes the car around.
Initially I thought the culprit was a broken rear mount but after a general service I had the mechanic to check and that wasn't the problem. The mechanic spent good 15 minutes searching but unfortunately couldn't figure it out. Could there be something wrong with the CV joints? Is it normal from general wear and tear?

Thanks in advances

cupnoodle
15-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi Anthony,
I have the exact issue on my DC5R. Sometimes when I launch (normal speed) and lift off the accelerator, you can hear this ticking noise. I took my car to Hanny's and they passed it off as normal, as they do..

I demonstrated the steering wheel clunking sound to them and the guy had a quick glance. He narrowed it down to the springs/shocks, I can't remember which. Which is fair enough cause the sound wasn't there when I test drove it with coilovers on. Only noticed after I purchased when the coilovers were swapped out for the stock parts.

It's a good incentive to get new sussy setup, but I can't afford to afford coilovers atm.

Hope this helps

Anthony38
15-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Anthony,
I have the exact issue on my DC5R. Sometimes when I launch (normal speed) and lift off the accelerator, you can hear this ticking noise. I took my car to Hanny's and they passed it off as normal, as they do..

I demonstrated the steering wheel clunking sound to them and the guy had a quick glance. He narrowed it down to the springs/shocks, I can't remember which. Which is fair enough cause the sound wasn't there when I test drove it with coilovers on. Only noticed after I purchased when the coilovers were swapped out for the stock parts.

It's a good incentive to get new sussy setup, but I can't afford to afford coilovers atm.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help.

Yeah I did the same as you. Hanny said it should not a problem but I still wanna know where the sound is coming from. I don't feel comfortable it being that way.

eght
15-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a clicking or clunk/thumping sound when I change from 1st to 2nd gear and on the odd occasion when turning the steering wheel left or right.

i suspect its your drive shafts. the clunk/thump suggests that your driveshafts are not seated properly. get your mechanic to inspect the inboard joint of your drivers side driveshaft connection to the half shaft. i've found that even if the drivers side inboard driveshaft joint is 3-5mm out of the halfshaft it will cause sporadic "clunking/thumping" and lead to the wearing out of the halfshaft bearing.

either that or it could be your half shaft bearing. the bearing could have a minute chip in it or something that causes it to be noisy during its rotation....the thump/clunk is where the bearing seizes and jams and the cent force is built up until its' force is greater than the bearing seize/jam which causes a clunk.

how many kms on the dc5r?

Anthony38
15-06-2009, 01:29 PM
i suspect its your drive shafts. the clunk/thump suggests that your driveshafts are not seated properly. get your mechanic to inspect the inboard joint of your drivers side driveshaft connection to the half shaft. i've found that even if the drivers side inboard driveshaft joint is 3-5mm out of the halfshaft it will cause sporadic "clunking/thumping" and lead to the wearing out of the halfshaft bearing.

either that or it could be your half shaft bearing. the bearing could have a minute chip in it or something that causes it to be noisy during its rotation....the thump/clunk is where the bearing seizes and jams and the cent force is built up until its' force is greater than the bearing seize/jam which causes a clunk.

how many kms on the dc5r?

Thanks for that! Can't believe mechanics such as hanny's can't figure out what you've just told me.

Kms: 115,000

DoAvl
15-06-2009, 09:40 PM
hmmm... interesting. i'm also experiencing a clicking when changing gears. i've asked my local honda dealership to have a look last time i went in for a service and they said it's a loose spring or something in the clutch... not worth fixing apparently.

but i don't think it's the clutch.

Anthony38
15-06-2009, 10:21 PM
agree, its the not the clutch. The sound is coming from both sides at the front.

I take it no-one has got this problem fixed yet?

omgzilla
16-06-2009, 08:11 PM
hmmm... interesting. i'm also experiencing a clicking when changing gears. i've asked my local honda dealership to have a look last time i went in for a service and they said it's a loose spring or something in the clutch... not worth fixing apparently.

My DC5S has a slight click in the clutch. It's getting a new master cylinder on Monday (under warranty). :wave: Not sure if it's the same noise though... and sounds like a different issue from the original posters' issue.

cupnoodle
17-06-2009, 09:25 AM

The sound is audible when you're changing gears cause you're lifting off the accelerator.

Try accelerating, shift to neutral and let the car roll. You should still hear it