PDA

View Full Version : Aircon cutout

wynode
15-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what exactly determines when the AC cuts out /back in when the engine is under load. To me it seems erratic, but surely its based on the TPS and engine load?

Its just that it cuts out unpredicatbly to give more power at say 2,100 RPM.........then will cut back in (ie engage) again at around 2,700 RPM.......but sometimes I can rev till around 3000 RPM before it cuts back in.

Any ideas?

wynode
10-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Woooaaa..........this was an old post...yet i'm no closer to figuring out the answer!?

ECU-MAN
11-07-2004, 12:17 AM
what type of car do you have. not all hondas do this

engine load is one thing ( determined by the MAP sensor ), also when you taking off it should cut out.
on a seperate note there is a high/lo pressure switch on da condensor somewere, so if your refrigirant pressure gets to high or lo the compressor cuts out. so if your gas preesures arnt right this could be the problem.

wynode
11-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Its a EG Si

I think the gas pressure might have something to do with this if it determines AC cut out. That's onething I wasn't aware of :)

ECU-MAN
11-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I dont wanna get major flammed here, but I am 99 % sure that the EG does not control the air con via [acronym:c3f612971e="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:c3f612971e]. if air con is on then its on.
my VTi 95 accord is the same.
only 2 things can determin when the compressor guts in and out, hi/lo switch on condensor, thermostat on the evaporator. during normal operation the thermostat does its thing, the hi/lo switch is a saftey thing. a good test is to start the car turn on the air con, pop the bonnent, look at your reciver dryer ( near your power stearing resivoir ) there should be a sight glass. if it is bubling while the compressor is cut in then chances are the air con is low on gas. if there are no bubles then its ok or over filled. an over filled system will cause the compressor to tick while in operation. the only way you will really know is if the guages get hooked up to your air con system to mesure the pressures.

wynode
11-07-2004, 12:46 AM
I've been told that 'most' [acronym:b46bfe63b0="Double Overhead Cam"]DOHC[/acronym:b46bfe63b0] models (including mine) have an aircon cutout under load.

ECU-MAN
11-07-2004, 12:54 AM
like I said 99%

I thought it was only the higher series hondas like ledgend and prelude in that era that did it.
I have never noticed it with B16a2 engines. Ill do some test and find out.