PDA

View Full Version : Eg civic oil - Honda FEO

buggo
16-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Before anyone starts saying "Search" i have & read many many topics on what oil to use in my eg SI Civic.

I have come to the conclusion that Honda FEO would be the best choice. Only problem with that is I priced it at the local Honda dealer and they wanted $49 for a 5 litre bottle.

Dont get me wrong I love my Civ but that price is a joke. So what i want to know is what other oil would you reccomend for a cheaper price?

My car is a 92 EG Civic with a d16A8 travelled 121,000kms completely serviced every 5,000 kms since new.

Thoughts??

bennjamin
16-06-2009, 08:06 PM
my thought is go elsewhere.
FEO is good - you replace every 5,000ks and its fine. Should retail for $30 or so other places like meekong spares in canley vale.

bbds
16-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Castrol Magnatec for 34$ :thumbsup:

buggo
16-06-2009, 08:25 PM
i would go elsewhere but I live 3 hours from Sydney so this is the only honda dealer within an hour from me & im sure autobarn, super cheap, repco etc wouldnt stock it?

Yeah i was thinking magnatec, I have heard many mixed reports with it though.

aaronng
16-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Either Magnatec, Mobil 2000 or Shell Eco 10 10w-30 for $30-40.

If you are at the $50-55 mark, go Castrol Edge 5w-30.

buggo
18-06-2009, 11:28 AM
so magnatec would be the best for the money? And good for a old but low km engine?

twing
18-06-2009, 12:42 PM
old/new high/low kms... doesn't matter.

aaronng
18-06-2009, 01:31 PM
so magnatec would be the best for the money? And good for a old but low km engine?

Magnatec will be fine if you change every 5000km.

dahondr98
18-06-2009, 02:45 PM
While I always specify Castrol Edge for my dealer-serviced 98 EK, as it has had fully synthetic engine oils since new, one of the mechanics at my dealer told me that the Honda FEO oil is excellent value, and is actually cheaper than equivalent quality oils. Apparently Valvoline make it for Honda Australia. It may depend on the dealer, though, as to how good the value is.

Since you’re on the internet, if you go to the Australian websites for the major oil brands (Shell, Mobil, BP, Castrol, Caltex, Valvoline etc), virtually all of them have a menu-driven system to see what oils are recommended for your model of car. They will often give a list of several engine oils suitable, including at least one cheaper variant. Then nip into somewhere local (eg Autobarn, Super Cheap, Repco, Big W, Kmart) that stock a wide range, and compare the prices for the oils on your list. Castrol Magnatec, or one of the other oils already recommended, should be good - they're certainly not no-name el-cheapo blends, like some I've seen in Coles and other places (and used in some bombs I've previously owned:)).

EG30
19-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Before anyone starts saying "Search" i have & read many many topics on what oil to use in my eg SI Civic.

I have come to the conclusion that Honda FEO would be the best choice. Only problem with that is I priced it at the local Honda dealer and they wanted $49 for a 5 litre bottle.

Dont get me wrong I love my Civ but that price is a joke. So what i want to know is what other oil would you reccomend for a cheaper price?

My car is a 92 EG Civic with a d16A8 travelled 121,000kms completely serviced every 5,000 kms since new.

Thoughts??

full retail the FEO is a joke for value for money, $30 or so then well and good. When I need a cheap mineral 10W30 oil for late model Jap cars I always buy the Supercheap auto's Calibre 10w-30 for $26-28, sometimes discounted further more on specials and you get 5.5L as well. It's made by Caltex who also supply and bottle OE for Honda Australia range of retail Lubricants.

for your type of engine, mileage and drain interval the 10w30 should work really well.

buggo
20-06-2009, 08:55 PM
full retail the FEO is a joke for value for money, $30 or so then well and good. When I need a cheap mineral 10W30 oil for late model Jap cars I always buy the Supercheap auto's Calibre 10w-30 for $26-28, sometimes discounted further more on specials and you get 5.5L as well. It's made by Caltex who also supply and bottle OE for Honda Australia range of retail Lubricants.

for your type of engine, mileage and drain interval the 10w30 should work really well.

Thanks for the info, ill have a look at supercheap tomorrow! :thumbsup: