PDA

View Full Version : porting d16y8 head

nisboi40
17-06-2009, 09:57 PM
im thinking bout getting my head machined hot bathed port and polish with a full rebuild you think it will be worth it ? along with porting the intake manifold bigger t/b...

cheers guys!!!

wAYzoR
17-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I personally dont think you will gain that much power for the money you spend on it, i have had it done to some previous cars and didn't really notice much more power, tho they were both turbo cars, Im not quiet sure how much porting improves in NA hondas tho i am sure there will be improvements.

Just make sure you match port your manifold otherwise its pointless..

Hope that helps..

nisboi40
18-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Yer I no you have to match the manifold to the head otherwise it piontless just want to no if anyone actually has done it to their d16y8 cheers

dasicvtec
18-06-2009, 11:22 AM
yeh i think it would be worth it, Depending on how much the person will charge though. Placee usually charge $400 for a port and polish + porting manifold then you usually get it acid dipped, cleaned and a slight shave off the head to make it all straight, usually another $250.

so a decent amount. what you could do though is buy another head, practice and learn on that one, and swap it over. Trial and error kind of thing. it obviously wont turn out as good, probably will have some headaches setting it up, but it would be a good learning experience :D

beeza
18-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Definately! But it needs a aftermarket Intake manifold,port match the exhaust and intake side to the head.U should mill the head a bit too.(check d-series.org for how much).

Then U will need a fuel pressure regulator,good intake/exhaust,bigger TB and get it dyno tuned.May aswell do a zexcomp cam and springs/retainers,check the valves etc

Do it all at once and do it right!!

Take ya time,save up.

In the meantime get on d-series.org and READ READ READ.

Haha I just realised you said 'full rebuild'.Definately,if you want to stick with the y8.Do it right!

nisboi40
18-06-2009, 01:44 PM
thanks for the advice guys :) help alot
dasicvtec im going to go along with what dasicvtec said
how much powers am i going to get from a port and polish alredy have the aftermarket manifold 66mm t/b and headers , with cam retainers pritty much full head rebuild with extras running vafc2 or neo
just want to get som hp ratings cheers

lookingforboost
18-06-2009, 01:55 PM
man you will probally be around the 140hp mark on pump i reckon give or take but throw it on the dyno get a power run then do it and see how much power you made :)

nisboi40
18-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Haha 140 hmm you reconnits worth it? I got a d16a8 in my garage doing nothing I like it but no vtec haha ;)

sw1fty
18-06-2009, 10:05 PM
theres a thread on honda-tech about d16 setups and how much hp they make
ill find it for u

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1771904

its heaps long tho.. but there u are. enjoy

MikeyG
19-06-2009, 12:01 AM
dw about the d16a8, get your ported... get cams,valve springs and camshafts slap a decent turbo or build one yourself and except to see 250whp to 300whp....

check out honda-tech site and look for " up for single slammers "

EG30
19-06-2009, 03:40 AM
I didnt think they were worth modding till I saw an eg with an D15 sohc vtec in hk that was really well setup with aftermarket cam, cam pulley, headers, IM, 4.7FD and powerfc. Acceleration and top speed of that car wasnt far off a stock eg6, sounded very sweet and on song as well.

In hk engine conversion is outright illegal so unless the car came out as an eg6 there is no way to legally convert their eg4 with a B series engine or up the capacity hence some people resort to other more parts and labour intensive paths to achieve their goals.

There are lots of go fast gear for the single cam D series engine avail in usa eg from mfactory, and taiwanese companies such as toser.com.tw that OE for many of the big names we know so well here with products like cams, pulleys, tri-Y headers, tow hooks, vtec conversion kit, oil coolers etc.

With a full rebuild as well with the good gear it certainly wont be cheap, and paying labour for full engine rebuild and porting is never cheap and the long list of parts to go with it too; so you'll be the one who decide if you want to spend your $ many K on this that is special and unique to you or use that $ to fund a B16/B18/B20/Boost project.

nisboi40
19-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Haha yer alot of aftermarket support I don't wanna do a swap I wanna stick with the d series :) around 800 for the port polish head leveled and all that I'm curious LOL not many ppl here do up d series unless turbo but I wanna stay na allthe way :) cheers for the info but keep your apions coming

nisboi40
19-06-2009, 07:21 AM
I found a site that sell final drive gears for d series box 500 us , what's that diff they got 4.5, 4.7, or 4.9.. I think I'm going to do the go ahead with the port :) I need to buy a d16y8 head so I can still use my car in the mean time, get it full rebuilt get the final drive in cams cam shaft vafc2 and i'll let you guys know how it's going:)
Cheers for the advice

dasicvtec
19-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds good man. The Key to any build up is research. D-series is epic for info so take a good long read there. You have to be educated so when you go to do mods and buy parts, people arnt easily swayed to rip you off because you know what your talking about. Google for some guides on porting just so you know what is invovled with it.

Also, I think D-series has still potential to made into a fast street car. Tbh, Turbo is best bang for buck. But dont let anyone tell you that you shouldn't go the NA route with a D series because of thats what you want to do no one should say otherwise. You have to research and come to your own conclusions whether or not its worth it for you.

Here is Yonas's Time in his EG when he had a D16A8 in it.

93 civic si hatch ( d16a8 australian spec ) 1.6 twin cam
4-2-1 header
2.25 inch exhaust
JDM eg6 air box , intake pipe , trust panel filter
lighten flywheel, stock clutch
rechiped ecu , unichip piggyback (8200 rpm rev limiter)
stripped interior

dunlop do1j formula R ( 205/50/15 inch) running 18 psi

15.1@90mph
2.1 sec 60 ft

74.5kw@wheel

I know people say something like a 15 sec or 14 sec pass is slow, but serious, its pretty quick man. Especially around corners, because you still go full throttle and not worry too much about under steer. You could more then likely do a 1:15-1:16 at wakefield if your suspension and brakes is in order as well.

Yeh do up the D. You can get em to around 80kw atw (probably more) with stage 1 cam and small internals mods, you would be happy with that because build should not cost you more then $2k (with a new exhaust system, bigger cam, port, rebuild and so on). Ek4's do a mid 15 i believe so you will easily be able to do a time like that.

nisboi40
19-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Ohh I'm still not sure LOL 80kw sounds weak haha I can get a b16 block for 300 so I might find the head for it and gearbox or I can just do the d series lol I really don't no what to do

beeza
19-06-2009, 09:25 AM
The d-series engine has unequal length driveshafts making it a pig to drive on the track.

That's a good enough reason right there to go b series if you are wanting to track the car.

Killa From Manila
19-06-2009, 10:45 AM
unfortunately d series heads dont flow that well, theres an article on the net somwhere of these guys doing an awesome port n polish job on a y8 or y1 and they only got it to flow as well as a stock b16 head

nisboi40
19-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I would like a track car :) I Gota nissan r33 too gtst I get off my ps in 3 months so I can drive her but I love my hondas too much !! So I don't wanna stop but feels like I waste coz my other baby just sitting in the garage haha

nisboi40
19-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice where's the article man I need to find it !! Lol I don't no what to do mod the d16 or pay a lil bit more and get a b16 :(