PDA

View Full Version : Worrying signs with my Civic

simon86
18-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Im starting to get worried with the poor performance my Civic is providing in regards to fuel economy and the power it is putting out.

Its just a standard EK1 Civic, that I have maintained well over the last 14 months. I have just recently changed the oil, oil filter, transmission fluid and tyres, all of which i thought was leading to the problem but still no success. This may sound stupid but is their a transmission filter that i need to change? Nothing in the manual about a transmission filter.

It currently sits at 109,000ks and has already gone through its major service of changing timing belt, water pump, etc.

I have even tried using 98 unleaded which only gave me 420km out of the tank. I currently get 380km-400km using 91 or 95.

You may question my driving, but I only use this car to get to and from work where I drive up the hume highway at 70-80kn/h sitting at or under 2000 revs. I am very conscious about the way i drive so that i get as much k's as possible out of the tank.

I have received suggestions to change my air filter, the fuel filter and the spark plugs/leads to better the car's output.

What else could be causing this problem and how can i go about fixing it?

Thanks.

twing
18-06-2009, 12:38 PM
>I have received suggestions to change my air filter, the fuel filter and the spark plugs/leads to better the car's output.
That advice is spot on, except for the leads.

Try to cruise between 2000 -2500 rpm. For me, driving less than 2000 rpm is lugging the engine.. therefore more fuel is consumed.

Pump your tires to 38 psi may help as well.

flipfire
18-06-2009, 01:04 PM
IIRC i got nearly got over 650km on my EK after change oil + oil filter, airfilter, sparks, fuel filter. 2.5k rpm shifts on BP ultimate

aaronng
18-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Copper spark plugs need to be changed every 20000km or 12 months. Leads should be alright unless you are having misfiring/ignition problems. I would recommend you change the fuel filter as well.

end7
19-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Reset the ecu might help. There is guide around here about resetting the ecu.

OMG.JAI xD
19-06-2009, 05:48 PM
109,000Ks.

If you had your timing belt done at 100,000Ks.
It wouldnt be a surprise if you started to notice poor performance.
You better make sure that Timing belt isnt a tooth out or is not tensioned properly.
Improper mechanical timing is as crucial as ignition timing and/or fuel delivery.

There is also always the possibility of excessive carbon build up in your intake manifold or the intake side of your head (just above the valves).
A good spray of carby cleaner would do the job. Better if you take the intake manifold off.

Just a thought =]