PDA

View Full Version : SERVICING your "Accord CD5"

xcwizit
18-06-2009, 05:29 PM
It was about time I serviced the 96 Accord VTi CD5 and I thought I would post the process for newbies and noobs or anyone new to these forums and have never serviced their very own CD5. Tip: service every 5000kms so engine is kept well maintained.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- engine oil i used Castrol Magnetic 10w-40 for the first time today see how it goes since it's recommended by alot of mid 90's Honda users, but I previously used Mobil Super 2000 10w-40 which was good too I got about 500kms per tank
- oil filter Ryco Z79A
- creeper
- oil filter tool (to take out those tight oil filters)
- socket set (preferably Sidchrome --> the good shit)
- 17mm socket (to take off the sum plug)
- trolley jack/s
- oil drip tray
- sum plug washer (I usually replace the washer every service, you don't have to but I recommend it)
- funnel
- rags, disposable gloves, wd-40, degreaser, hammer, overalls if you don't have old clothes

WHERE TO BUY:
Can buy all these things at your closest Honda Dealer; Parts Sector for OEM parts but if it's too far for you, you can buy at your local auto traders such as Autobarn, Repco or Supercheap.

PROCESS:

1: Firstly, make sure the car is cold, so all the engine oil is at the bottom of the engine pan and you get most of the engine oil out.

Now jack up the car with your Trolley Jack, and if your car is lowered like mine you'll need to jack up the sides first with your standard car jack which should be in your boot on the side somewhere.

2: With your Creeper, get underneath the engine bay and take off the sum plug with your 17mm socket and maybe use a hammer if it's too tight. Once the plug is off, make sure the Oil Drip Tray is in the right position under the oil pan so all the old oil drips into it, trust me it's a pain in the bum if the oil drips on your ground. Also, release open the oil cap on top at the engine bay.

3: 20-30 minutes later, once the oil stops dripping out of the oil pan, put the new Sum Plug Washer around your sum plug and tighten back onto oil pan. Make sure it's really tight. Now using the Oil Filter Tool take off the old oil filter. Replace with the new Ryco Z79A Oil Filter. Remember to get some engine oil and lubricate the oil filter around the rubber bit. I usually use the old oil for this. This ensures lubrication and also on your next service it is easier to take oil filter off. Make sure new oil filter is tight.

4: Using degreaser, degrease any remaining old engine oil around underneath the engine bay so it's all clean now. Now, slowly release the trolley jack and pack away any tools that you've used under the car and this is when I usually dispose of the old engine oil. You are now ready to pour in the new engine oil.

5: Now, pour in the Castrol Magnetic engine oil slowly into the engine, using the Funnel so the oil doesn't drip outside around the engine block and rocker cover so it doesn't get messy. This stage should be done at intervals, remember to keep checking the oil dip stick so see where the level of the oil is at.
I've noticed that the CD5 F22B engines take in approximately 4.25L of engine oil. Your oil level should sit around about 1-2mm just under full on the dip stick. I never overfill at and over full, it can cause damages internally.

6: You have now completed the servicing process, you can pack everything away. One more thing, double check your oil level tomorrow and during the next few days making sure the oil level stays stable. You must do this when the engine is cold, so meaning do not turn on engine. This gives you an accurate measure of the oil level. Top up engine oil if need be.

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW FINISHED AND HAVE SERVICED YOUR CD5.

IF YOU GET SPARE TIME, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR
AIR & FUEL FILTERS, RADIATOR COOLANT, BRAKE AND POWER STEERING FLUIDS, BRAKE PADS, TYRES IF ANY OF THESE NEED MAINTENANCE.

Mixtapes
18-06-2009, 11:23 PM
nice write up. Should do mine soon ! i'll tell you how it goes gave u a rep point already :)

repeated_love
01-07-2009, 10:15 PM
where the hell is the oil filter though on my 94 accord exi cd5, i lifted it up on a jack and couldnt find it from looking beneath or below the engine.

can someone link a picture or something mine is due for a service again as last time i didnt change the filter just the oil so i fear that its going to do big time damage.

CB7_OWNER
04-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Oil filter is directly to the left of the oil sump, ontop of the exhaust CAT.,

Soo you look up from your exhaust CAT, will be up in that space there,

..When you checking oil level, you should really fire up the engine, let it run for a few secs, turn the car off again, pull out dip stick, wipe the dip stick clean, put the dip stick bag into the hole, then pull the dipstick out one final time for the reading...

Good thing too is just to pop under the car , after a quick drive, to check for any leaks under the car via the oil sump plug or oil filter.

hectic_filo
17-07-2009, 10:05 AM
It was about time I serviced the 96 Accord VTi CD5 and I thought I would post the process for newbies and noobs or anyone new to these forums and have never serviced their very own CD5. Tip: service every 5000kms so engine is kept well maintained.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- engine oil i used Castrol Magnetic 10w-40 for the first time today see how it goes since it's recommended by alot of mid 90's Honda users, but I previously used Mobil Super 2000 10w-40 which was good too I got about 500kms per tank
- oil filter Ryco Z79A
- creeper
- oil filter tool (to take out those tight oil filters)
- socket set (preferably Sidchrome --> the good shit)
- 17mm socket (to take off the sum plug)
- trolley jack/s
- oil drip tray
- sum plug washer (I usually replace the washer every service, you don't have to but I recommend it)
- funnel
- rags, disposable gloves, wd-40, degreaser, hammer, overalls if you don't have old clothes

WHERE TO BUY:
Can buy all these things at your closest Honda Dealer; Parts Sector for OEM parts but if it's too far for you, you can buy at your local auto traders such as Autobarn, Repco or Supercheap.

PROCESS:

1: Firstly, make sure the car is cold, so all the engine oil is at the bottom of the engine pan and you get most of the engine oil out.

Now jack up the car with your Trolley Jack, and if your car is lowered like mine you'll need to jack up the sides first with your standard car jack which should be in your boot on the side somewhere.

2: With your Creeper, get underneath the engine bay and take off the sum plug with your 17mm socket and maybe use a hammer if it's too tight. Once the plug is off, make sure the Oil Drip Tray is in the right position under the oil pan so all the old oil drips into it, trust me it's a pain in the bum if the oil drips on your ground. Also, release open the oil cap on top at the engine bay.

3: 20-30 minutes later, once the oil stops dripping out of the oil pan, put the new Sum Plug Washer around your sum plug and tighten back onto oil pan. Make sure it's really tight. Now using the Oil Filter Tool take off the old oil filter. Replace with the new Ryco Z79A Oil Filter. Remember to get some engine oil and lubricate the oil filter around the rubber bit. I usually use the old oil for this. This ensures lubrication and also on your next service it is easier to take oil filter off. Make sure new oil filter is tight.

4: Using degreaser, degrease any remaining old engine oil around underneath the engine bay so it's all clean now. Now, slowly release the trolley jack and pack away any tools that you've used under the car and this is when I usually dispose of the old engine oil. You are now ready to pour in the new engine oil.

5: Now, pour in the Castrol Magnetic engine oil slowly into the engine, using the Funnel so the oil doesn't drip outside around the engine block and rocker cover so it doesn't get messy. This stage should be done at intervals, remember to keep checking the oil dip stick so see where the level of the oil is at.
I've noticed that the CD5 F22B engines take in approximately 4.25L of engine oil. Your oil level should sit around about 1-2mm just under full on the dip stick. I never overfill at and over full, it can cause damages internally.

6: You have now completed the servicing process, you can pack everything away. One more thing, double check your oil level tomorrow and during the next few days making sure the oil level stays stable. You must do this when the engine is cold, so meaning do not turn on engine. This gives you an accurate measure of the oil level. Top up engine oil if need be.

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW FINISHED AND HAVE SERVICED YOUR CD5.

IF YOU GET SPARE TIME, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR
AIR & FUEL FILTERS, RADIATOR COOLANT, BRAKE AND POWER STEERING FLUIDS, BRAKE PADS, TYRES IF ANY OF THESE NEED MAINTENANCE.

Hey man, i used the same oil mobil 2000, i get good fuel mileage on mine plus the oil is not that dark after 5000K which means u can use it a bit long but i change it in 5000K anyway.
I use the car ramp than the jack more room and more safe just incase the jack loose pressure.. good write up you got there m8 :thumbsup: keep it up

joyride
23-07-2009, 11:58 PM
should this be in the DIY section?

xcwizit
25-01-2010, 12:44 AM
should this be in the DIY section?

I think it should too .. come to think of it HAHA
But no accord noobie will think to go to the DIY section first, they'll come here in the ACCORD threads

tru3_k177
31-01-2010, 06:07 PM
we have DIY???? haha jk jk

repeated_love
21-03-2011, 01:48 AM
I waited 20 minutes for the old oil to drip out. Then I started the engine for a few seconds then turned off again. This caused much more oil to come out of the sump. Granted I didn't have the sump plug on and it sprayed on my driveway but next time I will leave the sump plug in the sump loosely. I think this is good to get out more old oil.

I also read its better to use a bit of the new oil when lubricating the new oil filter seal.

Thanks for this write up I printed it out and use it for reference, same with the radiator coolant one.

Yeah Hondas are pretty reliable.

repeated_love
21-03-2011, 01:49 AM
I waited 20 minutes for the old oil to drip out. Then I started the engine for a few seconds then turned off again. This caused much more oil to come out of the sump. Granted I didn't have the sump plug on and it sprayed on my driveway but next time I will leave the sump plug in the sump loosely. I think this is good to get out more old oil.

I also read its better to use a bit of the new oil when lubricating the new oil filter seal.

Thanks for this write up I printed it out and use it for reference, same with the radiator coolant one.

Yeah Hondas are pretty reliable.

zombo
15-04-2011, 12:13 PM
^ i seriously hope you're taking the piss. NEVER run your car without oil, or you wont have an engine soon...