PDA

View Full Version : Flushing Brake System Questions

CB7_OWNER
19-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Okay, so i've been looking to flush my brake system, and i've read SOOO MANY different ways to do it... Soo in a brief summary, which one should i use out of the following options

1. Pump brake pedal till firm (do not let it up),crack open nipple let fluid out, close nipple and repeat the step 3-4 times.

2. Crack the nipple, pump the brakes up and down until you see new clear fluid flowing out.( does this let air back into the system when you pump the pedal with the nipple open?)

3. As step two, but have one end of the tubing submerged in new brake fluid, ( reasoning is to prevent air getting being sucked back in,but then.. arnt you sucking in back dirty fluid in too?)

And the final question, the order in which to do it....

A. Furthest away from cyclinder, so that means, rear left, rear right, front left front right, for us right hand side drivers.

B.Because the system is split into a left front/rear, and right front rear, we first do the rear left, then front left, rear right and front right.

Soooo... my question is. which combination should i use? Im thinking of use 1A as my combination.

Is there any other ways i missed out?? Which method do you use?

Let me know thanks!

EDIT: Issit true having the pedal all the way to the bottom at the floor will damage the master cyclinder.. i read that somewhere too..

aaronng
19-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Use method #2, and at the final pump, keep the pedal down on the floor and do up the nipple. Or do up the nipple while the person is pressing the pedal downwards.

For your model, do furthest away from the ABS pump first. So if your pump is on your driver's side, do rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger and then front driver.

CB7_OWNER
19-06-2009, 01:32 PM
doesnt method two, suck air back into the system?

soo like on every down, fluid goes out, but every up of the pedal makes something get sucked back inside?

EDIT: Issit true having the pedal all the way to the bottom at the floor will damage the master cyclinder.. i read that somewhere too..

Dy_
19-06-2009, 01:42 PM
doesnt method two, suck air back into the system?

soo like on every down, fluid goes out, but every up of the pedal makes something get sucked back inside?

nope it doesnt...
thats the same way you'd do the clutch fluid.

RR-04-RR
19-06-2009, 05:03 PM
This is the way i do it

1) Crack open nipple
2) Push the brake pedal in and out (make sure every push, it's in completely then out completely)
3) Press the brake pedal all the way in then close the nipple
4) Pump the brake pedal at a decent pace
5) Then hold the brake pedal in then crack the nipple open again and make sure you hold the brake pedal all the way in then close the nipple
6) One brake line finished

But make sure you keep an eye out for the brake fluid level

Correct me if i'm wrong??

Cheers

andrew270681
19-06-2009, 05:11 PM
This is the way i do it

1) Crack open nipple
2) Push the brake pedal in and out (make sure every push, it's in completely then out completely)
5) Then hold the brake pedal in then crack the nipple open again and make sure you hold the brake pedal all the way in then close the nipple

Cheers

I agree with you,

However the first step i do differently.

I pump the brake and while holding the pedal down i crack the nipple open. When my foot reaches the floor i tighten the nipple and repeat.

aaronng
19-06-2009, 05:53 PM
This is the way i do it

1) Crack open nipple

Cheers

I do only steps 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3 and 6. No air or spongy pedal feel in my car. Steps 4 and 5 are there to keep you feeling confident that you have done it.

sheeeedan
21-06-2009, 06:32 PM
This is the way i do it

1) Crack open nipple

Cheers

yeh that how i do it too at work. strongly agree,
and i learnt from tafe to do it from passenger rear
to driver rear
then passenger front and on wards

evil R34
30-06-2009, 06:42 PM
make sure the ignition is off if u have abs

Bludger
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
how does method 2 not let air back into the system???

I was always under the impression that it let air back in when the pedal is on the way up.

please explain....

bennjamin
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
how does method 2 not let air back into the system???

I was always under the impression that it let air back in when the pedal is on the way up.

please explain....

Do this in this order.

Rear left , Rear right , front left , front right.

the idea is to hook up a CLEAR pipe/tube to the nipple pre-release.
Then crack the nipple with a 10mm spanner.
Then apply the brake pedal , in and out until you will see a steady flow of fluid coming from the clear tube. You WILL see air bubbles pushing past into the open - eventually after lots of pumps (after topping up the brake master too) there will be a solid flow of fluid coming out the tube , this means the line is clear. As long as the tube is sealed to the nipple it will not draw air back in.
apply the brake pedal firm to the floor , retighten the nipple then release. Should be 100% then move onto the next closest corner.

Bludger
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
dc2r with abs is that order too i guess.

bennjamin
01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
dc2r with abs is that order too i guess.

DC2R - yes exactly the same. Its a low pressure ABS unit...
Pretty much all cars are the same process , discs or drums.

But earlier ABS equipped cars require a slightly different process (96-99 ECU MAN can confirm!) and require a special tool to do it.