PDA

View Full Version : Y4 gearbox swap

VTECnique
19-06-2009, 09:06 PM
well, my gearbox is starting to go, so im looking around for another. been looking at the Y8 box, all ratios between the 2 are the same, but the Y8 has a better final drive.

While im at it, i was also going to go for a new clutch & flywheel, since im planning on FI down the road, something like a heavyduty clutch & lightweight flywheel.

On the exedy site though, it says the Y4 is 200 x 22 x 20 spline, whereas the Y8 is 212 x 22 x 20 spline. Im not sure about this, someone please correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure i get the clutch that matches the gearbox. Im not really that good on flywheels though, can i run a Y8 flywheel with a Y4? are they the same size? any help would be great, thanks in advance...

VTECnique
21-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Anyone?

those different numbers are for the actual size of the clutch. So im guessing i can use the Y8 clutch in my Y4 because they have same number of teeth on the spline & same spline OD size...

TODA AU
21-06-2009, 08:54 AM
You'll be able to do that without issue.... :thumbsup:
Just use the flywheel to suit the clutch used...

VTECnique
21-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Awesome. I may just stay with a Y4 box, but thats great news i can use the bigger sized clutch...

nd55
22-06-2009, 01:28 PM
> well, my gearbox is starting to go, so im looking around for another. been looking at the Y8 box, all ratios between the 2 are the same,

AFAIK there are two versions of the hydraulic D16 gearbox.

On Y8's and maybe Y5's what's known as the 'big bearing' gearbox. The axles have 40mm OD bearings.

All, other D16 boxes are the 'small bearing' boxes, with 35mm OD axle bearings.

The only way to identify them is via a casting stamp about 10mm dia, about 10cm from the oil fill hole.

A000 is a small bearing box
B000 is a big bearing box.

The B000 is desirable because the various D16 LSD's only fit the 40mm axle bearings.

The A000 has sucky gear ratios. The B000 has less sucky ratios, but still not great.

> but thats great news i can use the bigger sized clutch...

I don't think a few mm difference in clutch plate size will make any practical difference.

> get the clutch that matches the gearbox

yes.

> can i run a Y8 flywheel with a Y4? are they the same size?

No need to change flywheels for small difference in size.

A light alloy flywheel and a LSD is probably the best bang for buck upgrade.
Aussie dollar isn't too shabby ATM so look into it.

Light flywheels aren't to everyone's liking cause they need a bit more skill/practice to master smooth take offs.

Nick.

PS. standard Internet mechanic disclaimer.

VTECnique
22-06-2009, 02:29 PM
cheers nd55, i was actually waiting for your input.

I see it as this, since the gearbox is out, getting replaced i may aswell get a lightweight flywheel & heavy duty clutch fitted aswell. the only reason i asked if i can use a Y8 clutch is because im buying a clutch & flywheel combo over in the states, where the size is either 212mm/220mm...

SuiJin
22-06-2009, 02:34 PM
highjack. y1 gearbox interchangable with y4? or even y8?

VTECnique
22-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes they are. all D16* gearboxes are interchangable. The D16A8 g/box however has an intermediate/middle shaft/axle though where another other d-series has only left & right axles...

lookingforboost
23-06-2009, 10:51 AM
hmmm interesting do you know the difference in the ratios between the Y8 and Y4 i thought the Y8's are a closer ratio box? or are they the same?

i have a Y4 box atm but we have a Y1 and Y8 box in the shead :) going to look see if they are the big bearing ones now!!!

nd55
23-06-2009, 11:15 AM
> cheers nd55, i was actually waiting for your input.

Sorry, moved into a new house which, er.... needs a bit of work.

> I see it as this, since the gearbox is out, getting replaced i may aswell get a lightweight flywheel & heavy duty clutch fitted aswell.

Might need to get the advice of more clued in people here.

I don't know if the Honda Flywheel is internally or externally balanced.

> i asked if i can use a Y8 clutch is because im buying a clutch & flywheel combo over in the states

IMHO, overkill in this application and there are too many suspect budget clutches around.

Stick to a name brand and avoid the hassles.

IIRC Yonas uses a stock clutch in his 12 sec K24.

Also IMHO, traction bars or engine mounts will be much more useful.
No point getting a clutch which can tolerate more power if all you do is wheel hop on launch.

If you haven't experienced wheel hop, you're not trying hard enough.

> the difference in the ratios between the Y8 and Y4 i thought the Y8's are a closer ratio box? or are they the same?

[Roughly, from memory]

Y8: 3.2 1.9 1.3 1.1 0.8
Y4: 3.2 1.7 1.2 1.0 0.7

This is an area where the B16/B18 shits all over the D16.

ITR: 3.2 2.1 1.45 1.03 0.78

> Yes they are. all D16* gearboxes are interchangable.

Cable & hydraulic is the main difference.

> The D16A8 g/box however has an intermediate/middle shaft/axle though where another other d-series has only left & right axles..

Axle diameter is different too. Closer in size to B16 axles.

> im buying a clutch & flywheel combo over in the states, where the size is either 212mm/220mm

Supercheap do a 20% off birthday sale every now and then.
Go in and buy an Exedy.
If it doesn't fit you can always exchange it.

Nick.

VTECnique
23-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Y4 box
1st 3.250
2nd 1.909
3rd 1.250
4th 0.909
5th 0.702
Final 4.058 (i got this info from the pdfs on the honda website)

Y8s ratios are exactly the same. The only difference between the 2 are the Y8 has a final drive of 4.250. The best close ratio d-series gearbox is from the 92-95 Y1, but have aluminium shift forks whereas the Y8 has steel.

lookingforboost
25-06-2009, 12:40 PM
dose the Y4 box have the steel forks as well? caz an worried i will smash my box once i put some more power into the motor.

i suck at gearbox stuff so its all a learning for me :P but dose that mean that the Y8 box sits on a higher RPM in the final gear than the Y4?

VTECnique
25-06-2009, 02:56 PM
i believe the Y8 box is better for acceleration, so it may sit higher when dong sa 100kmh. 96+ boxes have the steel shiftforks. i honestly dont know if its even worth looking for a Y8 box just cause of the final drive?!

EDIT - keep the Y4 box & just go with a heavy duty clutch & lightened flywheel...

MRGRIM
25-06-2009, 03:07 PM
i have the same eng box as you and did my clutch at xmas ..cost me just under 600 landed from usa

heavy duty +6 puk copper ceramic with 7.5lb fly (stock fly is 18lb)

works orsom and is easy to drive once its settled in bout 500Ks

has made a huge diff ...totaly diff car to drive now ..just lov the grab of the new clutch

P.S. Exseedy is over rated and over priced ..<<< straight from my mate a rep who sells them !!

VTECnique
25-06-2009, 04:12 PM
yes im thinking about getting a stage 2 6-puck sprung & lightweight flywheel. Ive heard a few horror stories about exedy where the springs fall out or something along those lines...

MRGRIM
25-06-2009, 09:04 PM
the one im running i cant think of any thing else to tourcher it with and i do know how to blow up clutches from my racing days

lookingforboost
25-06-2009, 11:25 PM
cool, i just have a Y8 motor and box thats why i was asking but seeing that the Y4 box is the same bar the final drive thats me.... i would rather the lower RPM in 5th so will use less fuel :P

i have a lightened flywheel and Xtreme one and getting a chusion button excedy clutch.

a mate of mine had an excedy clutch and one from the states and the center cracked and springs fell out, but he was launching it pretty hard