PDA

View Full Version : Anglo Frog/Jap Conversion

woznaldo
21-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi All,

I joined the forum quite a while ago now but, have been side tracked with other projects.

I own a Renault 5 GT Turbo that I imported from UK but, the engine is old. I want to look into boosting a Honda lump to drop in as there are lots of bits for these engines in the States and have proven results.

I'm looking at B16A as a starting point? My goal is to do some time attack/sprint/ tarmac rally events in the future so need the engine to be responsive but be capable of good power. 200kw would be more than enough.

Look forward to picking your collective brains in the near future.

Woz:wave:

kazam
21-06-2009, 08:01 PM
budget

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Welcome to Ozhonda :)

Pictures are appreciated

kazam
21-06-2009, 08:03 PM
no they aren't

woznaldo
21-06-2009, 09:15 PM
At the risk of offending the Honda 'purists' I won't post any pictures just yet.

I'm an aircraft tech by trade and have access to a machine shop but was looking at doing this over a period of time i.e. a couple of years but, at a guess I would say $3-4K for a budget?

It would seem on initial research that most of the kit required for turbo conversion is cheaper from the States, even after the shipping. Correct me if I'm wrong?

kazam
21-06-2009, 09:48 PM
can't get a boosted b16a for 3-4 looking at 2-3 for the engine, and for200kw another 2-3 for the kit..

woznaldo
21-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. So, with a budget of $5-6K is a reliable/responsive 200kw plausible?

Where do I get the kits from? web links appreciated.

Woz

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-06-2009, 10:33 PM
To be honest research is the key and lots of it.

Its kind of like owning a older car that has little to no aftermarket support, you've gotta adapt to what is available and work from there (or work with what was available at the time)

I assume you've done a bit of homework which is good to see :) :thumbsup:

A B16 can be picked up from anywhere from 2000 through to 6000-ish, this price varies to condition of engine + tranny (IMO). I of course would assume you're a educated and learned person, so of course you'd wish to build the engine up a little to withstand turbo depending on applications (if necessary, some say its not, some feel it is) and add some LSD?

In reality for a 'kit' is ok but you may aswell just source your own bits and pieces and save a bit of dosh doing that (again my opinion)

Sure a kit out of the box is ready and willing to punch out those numbers but in some cases you'd be better off doing more homework and putting something together you like.

A few people here are running Boosted B18's (not the same but it can help you a little talking to these people)

Hell, Luke has a boosted B16 (few headaches atm but its done)

Here's his thread.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108143

Have a read of that and if you have any question Luke will be happy to help when and where possible

woznaldo
21-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, i've done some limited research and joining this forum was/is a part of that but, i'm in no rush to get this done so I'd like to source the bits I can separately when funds allow and to meet my specific needs.

Just had a quick butcher's at Luke's build thread and that's the sort of knowledge that will help me work out what's best.

Better have a good read now!

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Better have a good read now!

Have a look in our "Build thread" section.

Luke's is closer to your applications but there are a few boosted B18's as previously mentioned there (will help you out)

joyride
22-06-2009, 01:57 PM
welcome mate.
are you from the US? you should have a read through honda-tech.com aswell. they have more knowledge but the bonus is that theyre are local to you.

woznaldo
22-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry, just updated my details. I'm based in Sydney near Liverpool. I'll check out Honda-Tech.

Thanks.

kazam
22-06-2009, 07:40 PM
pics of the rex