PDA

View Full Version : Rvf400

Vti-Arh
22-06-2009, 05:57 PM
havent been on here in a while!

Well its about time i get my bike license!
Its booked out for a while so in the meantime im after a bike.

Just wondering the difference between a 09 Grey import rvf400 and a normal 09 rvf400?

I hear the rvf400's (grey imports) are restricted in performance? not sure if its over here in australia though? if so whats needed to unrestrict them?

Also in the honda range of legal learner bikes, which do most prefer performance/speed wise?

cheers fellas.

c0LL1n
22-06-2009, 07:59 PM
havent been on here in a while!

Well its about time i get my bike license!
Its booked out for a while so in the meantime im after a bike.

Just wondering the difference between a 09 Grey import rvf400 and a normal 09 rvf400?

I hear the rvf400's (grey imports) are restricted in performance? not sure if its over here in australia though? if so whats needed to unrestrict them?

Also in the honda range of legal learner bikes, which do most prefer performance/speed wise?

cheers fellas.

Im assuming you havent got your l's yet, so you'll be under the new 3 year p plate rule for new riders, unless your above 30yrs old.

Lols there arent any RVF400's made in 2009. They were only made between 1994-96, obviously grey imports are from overseas mainly Japan. So you'll might find some of these imports with 'dodgy kms' etc, like CBR250's.

RVF400s are pretty much the best in its class, V4 engine got good torque down low and has one of the best handling. Its very easy to keep up with the bigger bikes 600's etc.

In the honda range if your looking at the best sports bike for l's/p's then go no further than the RVF400. But good luck finding one in NSW that is a decent price, there not very common and hold their value well. I had a mate who sold his for about $6k cause he lost his licence.

.::F[L]Y::.
22-06-2009, 08:24 PM
yeap, very pricey....

Twincam16
22-06-2009, 10:12 PM
09 grey import means it was brought here in 2009, which doesnt mean a thing. Understand the km's on these bikes are likely to be wound back somewhere down the line, easy way to tell is if they line up very straight. My RVF does, my bro's one is all over the place...

The only thing that is restricted in the rvf400's is the speed, they clock out at around 180km/h. Its easy to remove for track

You can also get a HRC Cdi which will very slightly increase power, smooth out midrange throttle feel and increase the rev cutout another 500rpm

No point though, just go and buy one and have some fun.

droneh22a
10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Definately worth the $'s if you can find one for the right price, bought one a few months ago. Was kinda sketchy about spending that much on a grey import learner bike but i dont regret it at all.

I had a hose clamp let go, and it kicks a bit too hard into first for my liking but no serious problems yet, knock on wood. Dont think i'll ever get sick of the handling and the exhaust note.

Twincam16
18-08-2009, 01:49 PM
You can buy a Ninja 250r which may look a lot more modern (but sounds/goes like shit), or a cbr250r which may be a few grand cheaper, but with the RVF, you get a LOT more enjoyment and quality for your money, and it will hold its value well

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5189/24554239.png

nuganen
18-08-2009, 02:02 PM
honestly save the $$$ for when you get the full license so u get a 600 or even 1000
seen a few cbr600rr 05 model that goes for 6k range plus u get newer technology

Twincam16
18-08-2009, 03:19 PM
honestly save the $$$ for when you get the full license so u get a 600 or even 1000
seen a few cbr600rr 05 model that goes for 6k range plus u get newer technology

I dunno, easy to argue against that;

RVF400 holds value better
Keeps up with many 600cc bikes on track
3 & 1/2 years of L's & P's with a 250cc!!

... and come to think of it, technology doesnt mean a thing... especially for a provisional rider

gumbs
19-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Wait you guys have 3.5 years on a noob bike? **** that'd drive me insane. If you can get away with having your noob plates for a year I'd just buy the cheapest bike that is in decent condition and save your cash for your first real bike. But for 3.5 years I can sort of see your point.

Keeping up with 600cc bikes on the track is abit of a wank though. On matched riders the 600 will decimate the RVF on anything but the tightest of circuits.

nuganen
19-08-2009, 05:48 PM
like i said WAIT till you get full license so in 3 years time im sure your bike skills would have increased by then. So for the time being get a bike that where you can learn on and plus usually the first bike you get you'll either drop it, have a low slide or something along those lines...
Have you taken a new 600rr or any current new model bike for a ride? like the r1 where there's different modes you can select e.g normal, race and wet and also they have slipper clutch or the new 1000rr n 600rr where they have abs brakes.

Twincam16
19-08-2009, 09:30 PM
New Provisional laws = 3 years unless your over 25, but id still ride an RVF off p's as well... its a great bike, and as far as keeping up with 600cc's, ive gone for long twisties rides with some of the boys, a few who have r6's and gixxers, and ive not only kept up on long twisty rides but dont find it difficult to overtake them. I wont say the same once the road opens up for more than a couple of hundred meters though, as double the power makes a hell of a difference

Twincam16
19-08-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XabI28DPyQ

gumbs
20-08-2009, 02:48 PM
And there's a few guys on gsxr1000s I ride with who I can run rings around on my sv650. Its the rider not the bike.

And although is an alright bike there's just no reason to have one except lams. They sell for what 5-6k? For that money you can get an 2000 or later 600 super sport which will have better suspension, better parts availability, better power and be a much better ride in almost everyway.

Twincam16
20-08-2009, 05:09 PM
And there's a few guys on gsxr1000s I ride with who I can run rings around on my sv650. Its the rider not the bike.

And although is an alright bike there's just no reason to have one except lams. They sell for what 5-6k? For that money you can get an 2000 or later 600 super sport which will have better suspension, better parts availability, better power and be a much better ride in almost everyway.

Without a doubt you can find a better bike for the price range, but it is opionated. The rarity of the bike in future years & its 400 series racing potential will make sure I keep mine for a while.

Its the baby brother to the RC45!!!

The LAMS is just an added bonus for learner riders