PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on spring/shock combo and coilovers

kenske
23-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been searching and reading the forum for opinions and experiences when it came to suspension. There were some really good opinions out their but not enough shared experiences.

I'm looking to lower my 99 EK hatchback for street purposes only so handling and looks is mainly what I am after. I think that if I got coilovers and adjusted the settings myself, I would probably wreck them...

The main choices for my needs I have come across are:

KYB AGX + King springs
KYB AGX + Skunk2 springs
Skunk2 shocks and springs
Pedders sports ryda springs and comfort gas shocks
Koni yellow + king springs
B.C (bor-chuan) racing coilovers

Can anyone recommend other combinations for my car and purpose and explain why? Also, what are your opinions of the above combinations?

I've gotten some quotes already too for the above mentioned.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

vinnY
24-06-2009, 05:56 PM
koni yellows + eibach sportline springs was a winner for me
sporty enough for the street without the adjustable coilover discomfort

kenske
24-06-2009, 06:54 PM
hmmm, definitely a decent combo. will look into that, thanks for your input vinny.

anyone else have opinions on the above mentioned combos?

(Go QLD btw!!!)

kenske
25-06-2009, 08:37 PM
bump for some help!

d15z1SUX
25-06-2009, 09:17 PM
ive got koni n eibach too and had king springs too. both were good with the koni's.

outatime
25-06-2009, 10:46 PM
get Eibach Sportsline for the springs and Eibach Pro Damper for the shocks if you can. otherwise get KYB AGX.

kenske
25-06-2009, 11:58 PM
wow eibach seems to be pretty popular! how much do they usually go for? are they all the same or are there different varieties?

thanks guys

vinnY
26-06-2009, 12:03 AM
last time i got a quote from eibach australia they quoted about $550 for the sportline set
could just hit up ebay and get them from the US for cheaper

generally two kits available, prokit and sportline
prokit - 290lbs front 190lbs rear
sportline - 310lbs front 275lbs rear

both are progressive springs

kenske
26-06-2009, 12:16 AM
would the eibach + kyb agx combo be a better option than bc racing coilovers? cos i think they would be approximately the same price from the quote i got on the agx's

outatime
26-06-2009, 12:30 AM
u dont need coilovers unless you're gonna track your car or u want to change the ride height frequently

eibach sportline + eibach damper / kyb agx will suffice. it's cheaper option and your car will be driveable on sydney's crappy roads

lookup seller 'jazzsidd' on ebay. you can get both springs and damper for under 1000 shipped.

vinnY
26-06-2009, 12:33 AM
~$850au delivered for the shocks(koni yellows)
~$450au delivered for the springs(eibach sportlines)
i know what kit i'd get
probably even cheaper if you find somewhere in the US that sells both as a kit

kenske
26-06-2009, 01:10 AM
thanks guys, will definitely look into depending on how my first international ebay transaction goes with some skunk2 goodies!

keep the suggestions + experiences coming!

krogoth
29-06-2009, 08:28 AM
i agree with vinny and outatime

also look at bilstein/kings or other springs, eibach

ive always been sceptical about coilovers...its generally a quick low quality fix....u have to spend a ****ing lot to get a decent set that has some measure of realistic damper adjustability as well as acceptable comfort for the road

dont get a cheap set of coils unless u dont mind a rough ride and potentially in the long run, they will need a rebuild, and not every suspension shop will be willing or have the know how to rebuild a set of coils from a relatively unknown taiwan company such as BC

koni/bilsteins/eibach will give a comfortable and sporty ride with the reliability and long life of stock honda shocks and springs

i mean that combo is good enough even if ur running a lightly modded car that u track every now and then...

doonbar
29-06-2009, 04:20 PM
+1 for Koni and eibach combo. i have this on my DA9, it goes good and Koni and teg Type R springs on my Vtir...

:thumbsup:

ZeForce
29-06-2009, 05:02 PM
koni + eibach is a great combo for a street car

kenske
29-06-2009, 06:58 PM
what other combinations could you guys recommend that are just marginally below the quality and performance of the eibach + eibach/koni combo?

considering a few of you have recommended the above mentioned combos i will definitely consider them

Frankie
30-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I got Koni and Kings super low there great, i liek them,
does anyone have koni and spoon springs or have they had them before

outatime
30-06-2009, 09:54 AM
what other combinations could you guys recommend that are just marginally below the quality and performance of the eibach + eibach/koni combo?

eibach + kyb agx = stock

EURO1dr
22-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey Vinny,

Would Eibach pro-kit go with Koni-yellow as well or you don't need Koni-yellow with pro-kit i.e. use OEM shocks with pro-kit. Sportline for 450, how about pro-kit (I was quoted 560 for them.)

Thanks.

vinnY
22-07-2009, 11:47 PM
prokit's okay, less of a drop and slightly softer (310/275lbs vs 290/190lbs for ek anyway)

can't just match up good springs and expect it to work on crap shocks
the springs can handle the spring rate but the shocks need to handle the rebound
think of springs and shocks as a whole, only changing shocks or only changing springs i would consider somewhat of a half arsed job

i'm sure some real suspension guru's can chime in and explain in detail why you need both and not just one or the other
i'm just speaking from experience here with my own setup :)

d15z1SUX
23-07-2009, 12:24 AM
i just changed to cusco comp s which is a entry level non damper adjustable coilover.

i can tell you that koni yellows with eibach sportlines seemed to perform alot better. which is why im changing back soon... lol.

EURO1dr
23-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Opinion on prokit and koni yellow combo please or it needs to be sportsline and koni yellow combo. I have a wee man at the back with me so I can't make it too hard! I take him for drives in the country so I need to consider this factor.

vinnY
23-07-2009, 09:39 AM
well the softer prokit springs would help a bit i suppose
they are progressive springs afterall so they still provide some level of comfort even though they're rated higher(iirc king springs were under 200lbs front and rear)

outatime
23-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Opinion on prokit and koni yellow combo please or it needs to be sportsline and koni yellow combo. I have a wee man at the back with me so I can't make it too hard! I take him for drives in the country so I need to consider this factor.

go pro kit. it's subtle low and you dont have to worry of scraping and still gives your car the aggressive looks

EURO1dr
23-07-2009, 10:22 AM
yeah, I think I will go prokit and koni-yellow in stages ie, springs now and shocks later as I could only afford the springs right now....however, does anyone know where to get the best deal for prokit and koni-yellow? I know Vinny has listed prices for sportsline and koni-yellow but that's in NSW yeah! Does anyone know where to get the best deal for prokit and koni-yellow down in Victoria.