PDA

View Full Version : full exhaust system for 1997 prelude bb6

filo
06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Okay I've searched first before I posted this thread.

I'm getting quotes to get a full exhaust system for my prelude and this is what I got so far

These are stainless steel polished items
RS-R (TMC) EXMag EX Manifold (4in2) for Honda BB4 for $680 fitted. also Spoon Tail Silencer (Muffler) Street Type for Honda BB4 for $975 fitted.

All up I would be looking around the $2,250 mark for a full system in
stainless steel including the above mentioned items

Are these figures right or maybe I can find a better deal.

I live in Campbelltown area so if you know a place there that can be trusted I'd appreciate the info. However, I dont mind driving to get to a place to get my system done if the workshop is as you say its good.

azjs
06-11-2004, 07:21 PM
It seems to be a fairly indicative price for those primo parts. Go for it :)

-az

bigteethygrin
06-11-2004, 11:15 PM
w00t!.. thats gonna be a pretty sweet exhaust!.. There is definately differences between cheap stainless steel exhausts and the name brand stuff so yeah its worth the price if you got the cash...

Check liverpool exhausts for a shopping comparison as I'm pretty sure they deal in both name brand and cheaper stuff. Dont forget to drop into a meet sometime so we can check it out once its finished!

filo
07-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks fellas I appreciate your comments. I do have the money for that type of system. However, I was thinking of buying wheels instead. I was gonna head out to tempe tyres to buy that 18" vault sniper (chrome) today but now that I saw your comments about that exhaust system I cant decide whether to go for the wheels or exhaust system.

Shall I go for the looks or performance?

By the way, is 18" inch wheels go into the prelude without hassles? You know like scraping the guards when doing tight turns or the car is loaded with 3 fat people including 1 phatt driver.

I'd love to go to a meet sometime, get some ideas on how to do up this prelude.

Pre_ludachris
07-11-2004, 10:50 PM
why not get both money bags!

[stealth]
08-11-2004, 01:07 AM
www.preludeaustralia.com

Signup!

:)

bigteethygrin
08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
why not get both money bags!

meh.. your just jealous he can and you cant :D

If you got the cash and found a good workshop then go for it i say.. at the end of the day you cant take your cash to the grave with you so enjoy it while you got it.

filo
08-11-2004, 08:25 PM
I go for the 18" wheels for now. Then probably go for my exhaust system in 2 or 3 months time. I have to put up with my rusty custom made header and 2.25 exhaust for now. Gotta save up, holiday season is coming up.

Anyone used this Apexi V-AFCII before? Is it worth putting on? I think starndard vtec comes on at 5000 rpm. Maybe its possible to put that down to say 3000 rpm before vtec kicks in. I'm not really sure if that's what this Apexi do.

tanghy
08-11-2004, 08:29 PM
lowering vtec on standard cams is a stupid thing to do
it gives u **** all results

filo
08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
lowering vtec on standard cams is a stupid thing to do
it gives u **** all results

hmmmm so that means its not worth putting that Apexi if nothing done with the cams? Could you please explain that "**** all results" that you mentioned? Is that mean you wont gain any or you will lose power instead or just the same?

Pre_ludachris
08-11-2004, 10:56 PM
i think u should just leave it (the vtec) and stop bein a total waste of time.!

filo
10-11-2004, 06:17 PM
i think u should just leave it (the vtec) and stop bein a total waste of time.!

I've read it somewhere that you gain more power by putting that VAFC than a cat back exhaust and will be paying the same. Anyway, that's why these forums are here for to share ideas and learn from others.

By the way, why am I being a total waste of time? The mechanics at RUF performance wont ask me if I want to put it on that VAFC system in my car if it wont do anything. Well if they just asked me that so they can sell products then they just lost one customer. If I gain a little power using that VAFC on my stock engine imagine how much power I will gain when I finally get my engine totally modified.

You guys probably laughing about me thinking of putting that VAFC on my stock engine. That's nothing compared with the things that I want to do with these prelude. I'm actually thinking and trying to see if I can put a turbo charge or a super charge on this vtec engine. Extreme? Well if you can do it why not try it, be unique dont just follow others.

Cheers

tanghy
10-11-2004, 06:19 PM
if u r going to turbo/super, vafc can't do the job, so wise up now, spend more money on better ecu for yr futher down the road plans

McChook
10-11-2004, 06:26 PM
I go for the 18" wheels for now. Then probably go for my exhaust system in 2 or 3 months time. I have to put up with my rusty custom made header and 2.25 exhaust for now. Gotta save up, holiday season is coming up.

Anyone used this Apexi V-AFCII before? Is it worth putting on? I think starndard vtec comes on at 5000 rpm. Maybe its possible to put that down to say 3000 rpm before vtec kicks in. I'm not really sure if that's what this Apexi do.
Don't both touching the HiCam crossover point - it is perfect where it is

You only need to tune the Air:Fuel ratios. There's a few kws there, and definitely more benfit than a cat back or header - the standard exhaust is pretty good as it is.

filo
10-11-2004, 07:13 PM
if u r going to turbo/super, vafc can't do the job, so wise up now, spend more money on better ecu for yr futher down the road plans

hmmmm I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info. Is turbo charging a vtec in a bb6 dreaming too high or is it doable. I think I have enough room for the turbo, I dont know about the intercooler though. What benefits will I get if I put a better ecu on a stock engine?

Don't both touching the HiCam crossover point - it is perfect where it is

You only need to tune the Air:Fuel ratios. There's a few kws there, and definitely more benfit than a cat back or header - the standard exhaust is pretty good as it is.

Yeap that's it air:fuel ratio. Thanks for confirming the power gain on having a vafc.

Thanks fellas for all your suggestions and help. I appreciate it very much
Cheers

McChook
10-11-2004, 09:13 PM
hmmmm I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info. Is turbo charging a vtec in a bb6 dreaming too high or is it doable. I think I have enough room for the turbo, I dont know about the intercooler though. What benefits will I get if I put a better ecu on a stock engine?
Hit preludeonline.com and see - there are quite a lot of 5th Gen turbos... Not my thing, waste of time IMO, but as Tanghy said, VAFC won't handle it, better off with a stand alone ECU - Hondata, microtech or E-manage for example

Yeap that's it air:fuel ratio. Thanks for confirming the power gain on having a vafc.

Thanks fellas for all your suggestions and help. I appreciate it very much
Cheers

As for complete stand alone ECU on a stock enegine - won't make any more power than a VAFC really - there is little to nighting in ignition timing standard.

First step modifications in a 5th Gen prelude for best value
Cam Gears - there's not a lot over standard cam timing, but enough to make the gears worth it
Lightweight and/or underdriven pulleys - for AC compressor, Power steering pump etc
VAFC tuned
Complete exhaust, but only a good one - not any exhaust will make a difference - a good cat back will be OK, but be prepared to fork out big bucks for a good header if you want any gain - mugen or SMSP are the better 2
Type S intake - I don't believe in CAIs as a general rule - they are not tuned volume

Pre_ludachris
10-11-2004, 09:34 PM
yeah..follow ur bank account money bags!

filo
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
yeah..follow ur bank account money bags!

Aye?

Pre_ludachris
11-11-2004, 10:37 PM
in other words, do what ever makes u happy,
after all this car is a keeper right?

is ur car manual

filo
11-11-2004, 10:45 PM
in other words, do what ever makes u happy,
after all this car is a keeper right?

is ur car manual

oh right, and yeah this car is a keeper alright. And yes it is manual. I just bought them 18" rims and now I'm having problems with guard rubbing. I may have to get em rolled. I might as well get a new suspension kit as well 'cause I think the stock suspension had it. Anyway, after the suspension kit I probably wont do anything on the car for a while. I even cancelled my holidays overseas just to buy em rims so yeah.... gotta save up again.

Pre_ludachris
11-11-2004, 10:56 PM
might just get 17's and drop it 2"
u sound like ur have a headache..

thats good that ur car is manual..beats the hel out of tiptronic..
thats for sure..!!
dont know about u guys, but i dont know why people bother with autospastic cars.!!

azjs
12-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I guess if the daily grind includes driving an hour up to work and back again, SOMETIMES it can get annoying, but then you realise you're in a car you've spent a lot of time on and it doesn't matter as much :)

-az

Pre_ludachris
13-11-2004, 02:05 AM
nah..never get annoyed at driving manual.!!
if anything, it makes me happy! whether im driving to the corner shop or the streets of california!