PDA

View Full Version : Power steering making noise

aussiemale
25-06-2009, 05:55 PM
my power steering makes noise when start it up but after lil while when motor gets hot it stops i dont realy have any lick .Honda Integra 1999 Please help!

fullmetal
25-06-2009, 06:01 PM
have u tried topping up the power steering fluid?

aussiemale
25-06-2009, 08:03 PM
No I have not but will try .Thanks

OMG.JAI xD
25-06-2009, 08:14 PM
If its a screeching sound its your belt.

I noticed my a/c belt lightly screeches and slowly quietens down when it warms up. (havent replaced it =])

aussiemale
25-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes I think you right, it is a screeching sound Thanks so much .

anjin
25-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes I think you right, it is a screeching sound Thanks so much .

Belt not tight enough then. The screeching is the belt slipping, then it heats up and gets a grip. Just like tyres really. Adjusting it is certainly possible, but can be a pain the first time round.

By the by, when mine was misbehaving like that it lost all grip when I went through pudles and splashed water onto the belt. Quite a challenge going from power steering to no power steering in less than a car length. Made me hurry up doing the adjustment.

OMG.JAI xD
28-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Belt not tight enough then. The screeching is the belt slipping, then it heats up and gets a grip. Just like tyres really. Adjusting it is certainly possible, but can be a pain the first time round.

By the by, when mine was misbehaving like that it lost all grip when I went through pudles and splashed water onto the belt. Quite a challenge going from power steering to no power steering in less than a car length. Made me hurry up doing the adjustment.

You can have the tightest adjustment but the belt still can slip.
The design of a multi spline belt is tappered.
So its in a V like shape.
When a belt wears you dont get that V and end up with a ||. Only tension is spinning the belt, where as, friction is required to reduce the slippage.

An old belt should not be adjusted to be more tight than it should be.
It'll snap.