PDA

View Full Version : types of coilovers?

amuson
26-06-2009, 01:30 AM
hi guys

im looking for more info on coilovers as im looking at getting some in my fd2, would be mostly used for street.

i know there's fully and partly threaded which allows for the lowering of the car while retaining full damper travel... improving both performace and ride but wat im confused about and cant seem to find much info on is the rear coil and damper.

From what ive been able to find, most pictures of the rear damper and spring are shown as one unit ie spring over damper. however some installation photos online have shown the rear spring and damper stalled as separate unit much like a stock car...?

can anyone clear this up for me and has any1 heard of/used cusco zero gt coilovers?

thanks

FlyingChicken
28-06-2009, 12:31 PM

FlyingChicken
28-06-2009, 12:33 PM
With the rear suspension in our cars, the damper and springs are seperate.

I just bought a set of Cusco Zero GT's, havent fitted though...

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/whats_new/new_zero_series_coilover_kitgt.html

That's the site, and as you can see it is only used outside of Japan. These are the fully threaded types. You will need to use your OEM top mounts. With Buddyclub N+ they are fully threaded and have top mounts included, but I get the impression that they are too stiff for street and you will be wasting them if you never go to the track. Tein SS are not fully threaded and I think are the most expensive out of the three. :wave:

amuson
29-06-2009, 03:39 AM
so does that mean in general having the rear damper and spring separate wouldnt compare to one thats spring and damper as one unit in performance wise?

i was thinking of getting the zero gt cus a friend of mine had trouble wif his BCs...

let me know how the zero gt feels after the install...

thanks

krogoth
29-06-2009, 08:21 AM
cusco is jap isnt it?

bc is taiwan, sorry for generalising, but generally jap stuff is a bit better

but both jap and taiwan stuff are shit anyway

get a good set of euro shocks and springs, like koni and eibach, or US bilstein/eibach

avoid anything that has damper adjustability(though koni yellows seem ok....)

height adjustability......is fine i guess as long as u make sure damper stiffness is not affected by change in height

performance wise, u wont notice a difference really between having the spring separate to the shock or the shock over the spring....esp for street driving

FlyingChicken
29-06-2009, 06:47 PM
nah talking about BUDDYCLUB not BC racing sorry. Cusco is Jap as well yeah. The suspension setup on the Civic is pretty good. The FN2R doesnt compare, with its rear being torsion beam...

krogoth
29-06-2009, 07:30 PM
yeh.....but i still think avoid anything jap or taiwanese really...

go for a quality spring shock combo with non damper adjustable shocks

FlyingChicken
29-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Haha too late...i bought my Cusco's already...

Can I ask why damper adjustable shocks are so bad?

FlyingChicken
29-06-2009, 08:54 PM
so does that mean in general having the rear damper and spring separate wouldnt compare to one thats spring and damper as one unit in performance wise?

i was thinking of getting the zero gt cus a friend of mine had trouble wif his BCs...

let me know how the zero gt feels after the install...

thanks

Oh whats wrong with his Buddyclubs? I think they are really stiff for daily driving but a lot of people dig them.

amuson
29-06-2009, 10:13 PM
friend said there were knocking sounds when he went over speed humps or similar, had to bring back to mech to retify but ok now...

krogoth
29-06-2009, 11:59 PM
simply, the damper adjustability on most shock absorbers is nothing but a cheap ploy, a selling point

most dont actually work, eg, just because ur turning the knob to make the damper more stiff, doesnt necessarily mean that it will become more stiff, it may or it may not

they are very unreliable

and all the other bad things about coils, some are too stiff, will destory themselves too soon over time and thus requiring a rebuild sooner rather than later, and rebuilding shocks, depending on brand may be quite difficult and expensive

anyway, thats just my opinion, u have already made ur choice, make sure u post back with a review

yourfather
30-06-2009, 12:37 AM
i'd have to disagree with you on damper adjust-ability being a cheap ploy.

congrats on your cusco purchase.

i'm probably going to stick to just tein stuff imho