PDA

View Full Version : Gear crunching

vtecit
26-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi guys i'm fairly new to this forum. Just bought an s2000 2001 model a few weeks ago however just yesterday experienced a worrying problem. Was driving and changed from 2nd to 3rd at about 8000 rmp when i accidently crunched the gears. And now whenever i change to 3rd when over 4000rpm it crunches into gear. Ive been told this is probably a synchro problem but just wanted a second opinion. Could anyone please help, thanks.

WhiteAP1
27-06-2009, 12:06 AM
when you initially cruched it, would you say that it was because you didnt have the clutch in properly or because you shifted and hit halfway between 3rd and 5th?

tamay_s2k
27-06-2009, 12:54 AM
hi guys..yea ive had similar problems with my 2000 model. sometimes im just driving
and wen i go from 1st to second..it crunches slightly..and my foot always touches the back of the floor wen i put the clutch in. ive herd apparently its a common erro with s2000s , especially the earlier models and apparently honda can fix it? :S
can sum1 let me no if this is true or am i just having some driver errors.

WhiteAP1
27-06-2009, 02:37 AM
1st to 2nd grinding is a common fault/problem. What the OP describes is something totally different

F20C
29-06-2009, 06:01 AM
tamay theres a tsb for our model s2000's for 2nd gear. But chances of it getting done is slim to none. A friend of mine did a 2nd to 3rd but got it stuck between 3rd and 5th and facked his 3rd nicely, what annoys me is. I actually noticed it happend last week to me.. Except i was driving softly i had no crunch or anything but it went in between third and fifth and just did nothing im like wtf and slipped it back into third.. but i know it should of went into third.. 2nd > 3rd is my most favourite of all shifts lol. But anyway.

vtecit
03-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Just took my s2000 to the mechanics a few days ago. He said the 3rd gear synchro was worn out just need to double clutch from now on until replacement to stop the gear crunching. He said they are expensive to replace but didnt quote me an actual price. anyone have any idea how much im looking at?

JAP-S2K
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
i think around the $450 mark for the synchro, not a 100% sure though.

F20C
03-07-2009, 01:16 PM
i think they dont quote you on synchros as something else could be wrong and they dont know what it is until they open the box up.. but i was quoted 550 i think it was if it was only a synchro.. it was nothing though haha so im good :P

stndrd
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
yes it does sound like your syncro has shyt itself.

JAP-S2K is that $450 fitted for the syncro? cos if it i, thats a freaking bargain. otherwise you will have to allow id say at least 6 hours of labour for removing, stripping and re-fitting of everything.

JAP-S2K
07-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Sure is cost of part only, prices varies on reco, as depending whats failed. But they are in no way cheap to rebuild. Most of the effort is getting it in and out and the stupid starter motor bolts are near impossible to get to.

F20C
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
but why would you repair only that gear? if its early enough it would be smart to do. but if im not mistaken doesnt the grinding lead into another gear if your synchro is completely out? therefore leading into another reco on the other gear thats grinding? I'm seriously going to rebuild my whole box with the ap2 synchros..

JAP-S2K
07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Synchro failure and gear failure are two different things. A damaged synchro will generally not effect anything else in the gearbox if repaired shortly after damage being made. However leave for a extended period of time and there's a very good chance you've cause some minor damage to gears(those related to damaged synchro) if not major. I see you keep posting on about AP2 synchro's, as if there different to what's in your's now. Sorry to let you down, But Honda Aus, claim there the same. Same goes for everyone thinking all the ratio's are different in AP2 boxes, only 5th and 6th ratio changed, and final drive gear(in gearbox) went from AP1 1.160 to AP2 1.208, which gave a final drive of 4.4:1 i believe.

F20C
08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
imported ap2 synchros? lol.. or they wont fit for some reason? lol

And if they did i'd assume JDM would fit and USDM wouldnt?

stndrd
10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
or just go and blow some big dollars on some billet synchro's. aint gonna have a worry for a long time after that =]