PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Comments/Quote fairness

p.terribilis
27-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Greetings all!

I already have the equipment and got a quote from Northfield to get the following installed for $1,200 including dynomat for all the doors and monster wire throughout:

Alpine headunit
SWI Jack
JL C5 650
Polk MM650
JL G4500 4channel Amp

The price includes custom fabrication for the amp to be installed on the backside of the seat with wires concealed, the doors to be cleaned, dynomatted, and custom fitting the speakers to fit. And the swijack to be installed and configured for the steering wheel audio controls.

This sounds reasonable for a good job, but does seem a bit high. I was thinking along the lines of about $900-$1100. Should I ask for a "discount."

Also...with the following setup I won't have a sub for now. Maybe one day I will get a JL TW5 one day if I find i'm not pushing enough bass, but I'm not as much of a bass head as I used to be plus I don't want to have to pay for yet another amplifier and figure out where to put it. I just don't want to lose boot space for an extra bump that my wife doesn't really care for.

T-onedc2
27-06-2009, 02:37 PM
The question has no right or wrong answer.

However you as the customer will decide whether the quote is good value or not.

Bear in mind though that you are asking for a quote on a labour intensive job and labour is not cheap, nor is it something that a business operator should discount.

They will either quote high to cover themselves from the unexpected because experience has taught them this, or quote low just to get you in but you may have unexpected surprises at best.

If you can communicate your needs to the company and have them communicated back to you the same way then you're on a winner.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
27-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Indeed.

beeza
27-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes.Damn straight there T-onedc2!!!

The main thing is that they know you are paying good money for a great install,so that's exactly what you should get.So that 'good money' should cover any problem you may have,allowing you to bring it back,get it looked at and fixed - No fuss!!

T-onedc2
27-06-2009, 03:05 PM
yeah good point Beeza, it certainly should ensure better after sales service :thumbsup:

beeza
27-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Word! :)

p.terribilis
27-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I get you on that. I'm not being cheap, just not sure what is "fair" here in Australia. The last time I had someone else do my install was in the USA on a 94 Accord and I wasn't taking any risks with the amount of money I dumped into the equipment.

Had a 12w7, 300/4, 1000/1, 2 XR650's, and alpine dvd changer, etc, etc. I laid down like $6,000 on equipment and at least that for the installation including dual optimas, fibreglass, etc. It was rockin. Not going that route in the Jazz as I learned my lesson. (my car got stolen and was stripped when it was recovered)

beeza
27-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Nasty!

It's the worst feeling,it hits ya right in the guts!

F@CK THIEVES!!

p.terribilis
28-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah man, they made off with everything. I still wish i could sue the insurance company for ripping me off....but i was young and defenseless...plus the shop where it got stolen from which was installing my h22a and greddy turbo kit was run by some puerto rican thugs that i thought i could trust as i had helped their family members out in the past...

beeza
28-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Understood.

Not much you do aye.Just know the people who done it will get thier's,it's the law of attraction.What goes around comes around my man!

:)

DC5-4ME
28-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Greetings all!

I already have the equipment and got a quote from Northfield to get the following installed for $1,200 including dynomat for all the doors and monster wire throughout:

Alpine headunit
SWI Jack
JL C5 650
Polk MM650
JL G4500 4channel Amp

The price includes custom fabrication for the amp to be installed on the backside of the seat with wires concealed, the doors to be cleaned, dynomatted, and custom fitting the speakers to fit. And the swijack to be installed and configured for the steering wheel audio controls.

This sounds reasonable for a good job, but does seem a bit high. I was thinking along the lines of about $900-$1100. Should I ask for a "discount."

Also...with the following setup I won't have a sub for now. Maybe one day I will get a JL TW5 one day if I find i'm not pushing enough bass, but I'm not as much of a bass head as I used to be plus I don't want to have to pay for yet another amplifier and figure out where to put it. I just don't want to lose boot space for an extra bump that my wife doesn't really care for.

For $1200 it should be a pretty good quality install. Personally, i wouldn't pay any more than 1k. I have no clue where Northfield is. Where abouts are you located? If you're in Sydney go to Doran Pro audio. Their installation quality is amazing (all their customers are autosalon cars) and price is cheaper than your local Strathfield or JB Hifi. Or you can try FHRX studios. They're a little more dear but apparently best in Sydney.

shakkas
29-06-2009, 12:10 PM
just had a look at the fhrx site. Wowo they do an amazing job. They even take photos of all the stages of the install. Pity its so far away from where I live.
Wonder what their prices are like...

p.terribilis
30-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I live in Brisvegas. So yeah, I'm booked in to have it done. They said they could do a better price but only if I had bought the equipment from them. *sigh* oh well...guess they gotta get you somewhere. Plus, I will hold them to the highest standard of installs and see how many pics I can get them to take or if I can kinda hang around to take pics...

DC5TYPER
30-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Greetings all!

Alpine headunit
SWI Jack
JL C5 650
Polk MM650
JL G4500 4channel Amp

Thats a cheap price. And yes Northfield do great work. They have done a few showcars aswell dont forget.

The RRP prices of the JL gear and Polk speakers cost more then your quote.

Dynamat is a pain in the ass to do and monster wire aint cheap.

They have given you a good deal and alot of the car audio shops are quiet because of the current financial crisis so they have discounted you alot already.

Hope this helps

p.terribilis
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just hope it produces enough bump without subs.

one more sleep until my system goes in...

TGS79
08-07-2009, 05:22 PM
It is a good price I know Northfield and they do outstanding work also i guess the quote will also include the radio replacement panel for the Jazz which after having a bit of a look around is also a high dollar piece.
Also Northfield are a CAM's (Car Audio Masters) member which means your istall is covered nation wide if you move to victoria for example and something goes wrong with the install you can take it to anyother CAMs member and they will repair it FREE :)