PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys just need ur advise

bestjazz101
28-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey guys.. im planning to get some coilovers for my honda jazz vtis ive had kings springs lowered on 17" wheels, i found that with a full load i get abit of rubbing frm the back.. so i decided to put the stock springs back just for the back with the fronts still on kings..it looks alright and it solved the rubbing issue but its still abit too bouncy and its not a smooth ride..

Do u think coilovers will make my ride alot smoother? and less bouncy..
basically im looking for a coilover or suspension that will make my car really smooth on the rd, are coilovers the right way to go? or do i need sumthing else?

guys any info is greatly appriciated.. im more concerned about driving comfort than performance.

thanks guys

OMG.JAI xD
28-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Id say coilovers is definitely, the way to go.

If you have the money for it, then upgrade.

You can always try shocks to accomodate the springs. It does make a difference, but i doubt itll be as great as coilovers.

M@lew
28-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Coils can make the ride less bouncy, but it'll also stiffen it up more meaning you'll feel more bumps in the road. Depends if this bothers you or not.

bestjazz101
28-06-2009, 09:21 PM
yeah...i wanted something that would make it less bumpy on the rds and smooth like how it was stock..but i am running on low profiles aswell..so that could be a cause.. hmmmmmmm r there different types of coilovers for smoothness?

bestjazz101
28-06-2009, 09:23 PM
my budget is 1200$ for coilovers...heard tein is really good for ride comfort?

OMG.JAI xD
28-06-2009, 09:36 PM
If you want something comfortable while having the lowered height option,
Try looking into adjustable spring rate as well as the damper setting and ride height.

With the added option of choosing a spring rate you can have a less stiff spring.

But with your suspension taking most of the bumps on the road, your chassis wont move as much. And on big unenven surfaces your car might scrape on the road, damaging your undercarriage.
I mean this only applies to excessively lowered cars, like 2" and very soft spring setting.

bestjazz101
28-06-2009, 10:46 PM
what do u know any brands? and how much would i be looking at roughly? thanks

end7
28-06-2009, 11:02 PM
imo, coilovers aren't made for comfort, there made for performance (mostly). if i were you, id invest in some good quality shocks and springs to suit. when getting into suspension theres alot of different brands etc, but only a couple really make their shocks in house (ie KYB, Koni, Bistillen etc etc) and can be valved for comfort or performance. in this case you probably dont need to buy into jdm madness, but you can spend on some good quality shocks to match your king springs

bestjazz101
29-06-2009, 11:22 PM
since i shud then get shocks and springs would it make my car alot smoother? also do u know any good shops in melb that sell good parts? and how much would i be looking at..

kongfu
29-06-2009, 11:39 PM
since i shud then get shocks and springs would it make my car alot smoother? also do u know any good shops in melb that sell good parts? and how much would i be looking at..

Give OTR motorsports a call, a few melb jazz owners got coilover from them. Talk to Johnny:thumbsup:

GTI-Jazz
30-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I think you've got a lot of your terms mixed up.

Wanting it less bumpy and a lot smoother is not what coilovers would give you. If people want a smooth drive, they usually would stay with stock.

If you want a smooth ride, you should consider going back to standard tyres/wheels.

If you are doing this solely for looks, you will have to compromise your ride quality. You could drop it with springs for a cheap fix, but you should properly match your springs to your shocks.

Coilovers are great for handling performance and overall adjustability, but will without a doubt make your ride more harsh.

At the end of the day, it's a just a Jazz, and if you don't plan to go all out with an engine/tranny swap, I don't know how performance orientated it will really ever be. There are many other platforms you'd start with other than a Jazz if you wanted a performance car.

If it's your daily, and you want more comfort, I'd say stay at stock.

Tai
30-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Get coilovers mate, you can adjust the damper stiffness and height to accommodate your needs.

Not all cars are modded exactly.

Wheels come in different sizes, offsets, widths, etc.

Not to mention car's weights vary too affecting the height.

I've had many cars with coilovers and they are quite comfy.

I recommended coilovers such as :

Tein SS
Buddy Club N+

As I have tried these before in many cars and they are quite comfy.

And as you know modding cars usually sacrifices some comfort, especially in teh suspension area.

p.terribilis
30-06-2009, 09:21 PM
My opinion which some might disagree with is this:

Get some of these http://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/71/sfID2/34/sfID3/93/productID/317 Progress Sport Springs. They work with your stock struts. Giving you a bit of stiffness when you need it but with the comfy shocks you already have.

I had these on my 2003 Acura RSX-Type S and they gave me a great ride height, eliminated wheel hop in the 1/4mile which allowed me to do 2.1 60fts and didn't compromise ride quality. Run on them for a while and if you find you need some better struts...go out and get some once you know what you really want.

Afterall, if you are all out for motorsports (IE has a reason for dumping a $hitload into a coilover system that WORKS)...you bought the wrong car unless an engine swap/FI is in your very near future. BTW..I drive a Jazz as well...so don't get offended.

Dreams
30-06-2009, 10:41 PM
you want comfy but riding on 17"? no chance. downgrade to 15/16. 185/55/15 or 195/50/16

hoey888
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
i found that with a full load i get abit of rubbing frm the back.. so i decided to put the stock springs back just for the back with the fronts still on kings..it looks alright and it solved the rubbing issue but its still abit too bouncy and its not a smooth ride..

if your going to lower a jazz, you will always get rubbing, unless its a 4WD tractor. I've lowered mine on coils and i get rubbing on my rear passenger side. its a little bit here and there, but i'm over it. (just take the screw holding bumper out if its only one side rubbing, help solved part of my problems)

with coils you need your get terms right. coils will make the car stiffer. this means that you feel all the bumps in the road. bumpy, well thats coz of the roads your driving on.

people say coils are 'too stiff' or 'too bumpy.' Generally drive another route or go back to a stock car or don't carry full load. like what everybody else modifying is all about comprise.

kongfu
02-07-2009, 12:19 AM
if your going to lower a jazz, you will always get rubbing, unless its a 4WD tractor. I've lowered mine on coils and i get rubbing on my rear passenger side. its a little bit here and there, but i'm over it. (just take the screw holding bumper out if its only one side rubbing, help solved part of my problems)

with coils you need your get terms right. coils will make the car stiffer. this means that you feel all the bumps in the road. bumpy, well thats coz of the roads your driving on.

people say coils are 'too stiff' or 'too bumpy.' Generally drive another route or go back to a stock car or don't carry full load. like what everybody else modifying is all about comprise.

steve my ride lowered but not too low rear passenger side get rub when road is not even or go over the speed hump:cool:I think I need to adjust the hardness more:confused: