PDA

View Full Version : Subaru engine cleaner on an Inline four.

I heart the SSS
30-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Sup guise.

Just read the can for the "subaru upper engine" cleaner and yea, that method suggested would probably lock an inline four, lol.

What's the best way to use this stuff? I presume;

1) Warm car up

**TURN CAR OFF**

2) remove Intake pipe off the Throttle body, spray a decent amount on the butterfly, open the butterfly, coat all around the inside of the intake manifold decently (Give or take 1/2 a can)

3) Let it sit for 5 odd minutes

4) Start her up, obviously it'll take a while to start. Give it a bootful for a few seconds, let all the shit vent its way out.

5) Rip off the Vac line for the PCV ON the intake manifold, and spray into there keeping the revs high and not letting the car stall. Also being careful not to flood the engine with the shit (AKA Be moderate and take time to use the other half of the can)

6) let it run until the smoke stops

7) Drive it, see how it goes, then do a usual service.

Amidoinitrite?

bennjamin
30-06-2009, 12:23 PM
what car ?

dont bother. Its for subarus...which are flat fours or sixes and have deposits in the head from laying on their sides while OFF. Not needed for other layouts.

Waste of money and time.

I heart the SSS
30-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Been told by real life mechanics (not e-mechanics) that it works pretty well.

Ah well, i will try other places for info.

p.s Ben you are ok :)

dc2dc2dc2
30-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I AGREE WITH BEN-GAY-MAN

unless u own a subaru

dont waste ur time and money.

in saying that if u did own a subaru, u shouldn't be on this forum.

Tai
30-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Been told by real life mechanics (not e-mechanics) that it works pretty well.

Ah well, i will try other places for info.

p.s Ben you are ok :)

If you trust 'real life' mechanics and not e mechanics then why bother posting here and asking?

Contradict much?

Even subaru mechanics will lol @ you if you asked them the same thing.

I heart the SSS
30-06-2009, 08:23 PM
If you trust 'real life' mechanics and not e mechanics then why bother posting here and asking?

Contradict much?

Even subaru mechanics will lol @ you if you asked them the same thing.

Just wanted to see what the online guise had to say?

On other places, people have spoke from experience. And recommended it.

Have you used it? No...

So why comment?

But yeah, I used it today on two cars.

1) 4A-GE with a recent rebuild, shat out a bit of smoke for around 10 minutes. Starts quicker.

2) 2000 Model SR20DE. Car shat out so much smoke (around 15/20 mins), more than a blown HG would do, lol. Car felt rahter sluggish before, now feels a nice smoother through second @ WOT, and genrally a bit quicker, responce wise.

*bennjamin edit no need

beeza
30-06-2009, 08:33 PM
hehehe

It's good stuff I reckon.U certainly don't need to do it much with our engine's but if it has a few km's on it,there must be some crap in there that needs gettin' rid of and when ya do,it runs better!

evil R34
30-06-2009, 08:58 PM
yea in my experience with the stuff it woked heaps good cleaned alot of crap out but thats on older cars and i havnt used it on a honda but i dont c y it wouldnt work

JasonGilholme
30-06-2009, 09:09 PM
so what areas does it clean out?

Just the combustion chamber and intake manifold?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
30-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Justin, lets do a experiment with this.

I'll pour it into my carby and watch it burn.....waiiiii-

BluEG
30-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I have used it on subaru's and have had good results.

From what i have seen and been told it is similar to the american product
called "seafoam"

will be trying it on my ej8 soon.

beeza
30-06-2009, 10:14 PM
so what areas does it clean out?

Just the combustion chamber and intake manifold?

Yeah,the easiest way is to take the intake off and spray it into the throttle body and help it through by revving.So it would clean the intake manifold all the carbon deposits and oil gunk around the valves and combustion chamber,all that.
We did it on Gio's car today and heaps of white smoke came out,it was the first time it had been done.So too on mine the first time,the second not much at all.

I got the phone number of a guy on ebay in aus who sells 10 or 12 for $100.I bought some of him.Let me know if ya want,or anyone wants the number.

damo46
30-06-2009, 11:31 PM
ive used it on few hondas like dc2r, ek4 and few other cars like proton gti engine .... it helped all cars in different areas.... very good stuff.... the common result from both the ek4 and dc2r was that response increased and cars went better... also made the gti engine idle sooo much better as it ran an AFM

TONTON
01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
do you have to take off the AFM to do it?

TODA AU
01-07-2009, 05:57 AM
FWIW, this stuff is probably the best IACV cleaner on the market & one of the few that actually works without removing the valve...

JasonGilholme
01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
FWIW, this stuff is probably the best IACV cleaner on the market & one of the few that actually works without removing the valve...

So you would reccommend its usage on honda engines?

Well maybe not recommend it, but have had success with it? without any ill effects down the track?

beeza
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Great to hear Adrian! :thumbsup:

What's that 'Air fuel meter'??

RR-04-RR
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Great to hear Adrian! :thumbsup:

What's that 'Air fuel meter'??

AFM stands for Air Flow Meter

It'll be located inbetween your throttle body and your pod (there should be a plug plugged into it)

but some hondas dont have it

not too sure on the what models though

beeza
01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Ah,the IAT senser (Intake air tempreture sensor).

You don't have to remove it cause it's on the intake arm,you remove that and spray it into the throttle body.So easy.

aaronng
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Your Euro Sport CL9 does not have an AFM. It has a MAP sensor and an IAT sensor. That's it.

damo46
02-07-2009, 12:50 AM

ive used similar stuff but can anyone tell me where i can buy that stuff direct from??
the FWIW im talking about??

cheers

Zilli
02-07-2009, 08:29 AM
i havent used it on the dc2r because i forgot about it completely!

but i did have an N13 pulsar before the dc2r, and a mate of mine gave me a can... basically we emptied the can in the intake manifold... it was hard to start, but when it did jesus the amount of smoke was crazy and didn't stop for about 15 minutes... the car did run nicer afterwards!

didnt cause me any problems other than the fact that i had to adjust the idle control valve screw as it cleaned so much junk out of it

im looking to grab a couple of cans and do it on all the cars in the house

TONTON
02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Your Euro Sport CL9 does not have an AFM. It has a MAP sensor and an IAT sensor. That's it.

lol no, I am using it on my E30 BMW, which runs a AFM =P

I converted to old school man,

Anyways, with this, I think the main work that it does is when you spray it into the manifold tube, so that it cleans the combustion chambers. Spraying it into the TB does clean it a tiny bit but I think that's justthe icing on the cake. And if you really wanted to clean the TB you would use TB cleaner

So forget about spraying it into the TB IMHO and just spray it into one of the vac tubes. You will find that a SHITLOAD of smoke starts to come out of the zorst while you are doing it. Afterwards whether you drive it around or not doesn't matter, it's already done its thing (it will continue to smoke for a while tho) the revving is so the ****er doesn't stall while you are spraying it in.

Don't spray too much in too fast tho

Lerlo
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Wouldnt this be about the same as carby cleaner?

BluEG
02-07-2009, 03:43 PM
^ no its better then carby cleaner.

beeza
02-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Wouldnt this be about the same as carby cleaner?

Nah,this stuff is way way better.CC is good for cleaning up stuff but you need something more heavy duty for this.

If you spray it in the TB though,you can clean everything!

totti
02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
This shit is the bomb, i use it on all the cars i work on and every customer has been quite surprised with the improvement of either their throttle response, smoother idle and acceleration.

EGB18CT
02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
is this like the mazda sea-foam stuff the rotary guys use to clear out carbon deposits?

youtube it, pretty sweet smoke everywhere!

beeza
02-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes yes but from what I hear seafoam is MORE heavy duty again.

I would love to try it BUT there are heaps of horror stories on the net of people hydrolocking thier engines cause they put too much in and didn't rev it through.It's thick and heavy duty.The trick is to Use it slowly and rev it through!

buggo
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I have used it on a few of my previous cars (none of them subaru) In particular my 32 GTR had a problem with 'running on' when i turned it off. I used a couple of cans of the Subaru cleaner & it pretty well fixed it. I also used it on my n14 sss pulsar which had a "bogging" problem & it cured this as well.

Very very good product, my mechanic uses it on all his customers cars for routine 10 -15k km services.

DR HONDA
03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Subaru Upper engine cleaner is absolute magic in a can totally recommend it in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT as stated on the can can be harful to your respitory system, my two cents ;)

OMG.JAI xD
03-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Anyone got some seafoam or subaru cleaner?

Pm me =]

damo46
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
were bouts can i buy this subaru upper engine cleaner from???

TODA AU
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
were bouts can i buy this subaru upper engine cleaner from???

Have you tried your local Subaru dealer ? :rolleyes:
(Subaru upper engine cleaner is sold by Subaru... Hence the name... Subaru upper engine cleaner)

OMG.JAI xD
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Have you tried your local Subaru dealer ? :rolleyes:
(Subaru upper engine cleaner is sold by Subaru... Hence the name... Subaru upper engine cleaner)

lol -.-"

Its like homer asking for the number to 911.

Alexx
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
my local subaru dealer gave me a can for free to 'try it and see if i like it' not too long ago.

****ing legend

Stuff works great too :thumbsup:

buggo
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah from memeory i think its about 19 bucks a can

prizedbnx
13-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I used some Sea-Foam on my DC2R, idle was steadier. It also made the car feel a bit smoother, and the TB and intake manifold wear totally clear of carbon, oil and discoloration. worked perfectly. Someone should take their plugs out before they do it and after to see if the combustion chamber is visibly cleaner??