PDA

View Full Version : Help! (Accord Seats)

IanXYZ
30-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello all. This is my first post and I'm looking for some help for my son who has just bought a beautiful 1998 Accord V6-L.
The car is perfect in most ways ... unmarked body, mechanically maintained by Honda with normal regular servicing. It has had no flaws in its 11 year history. Interior is spotless, like new.
The only problem seems to be with the uncomfortable seats and driving position.
The car was bought just yesterday and we were so taken with the faultless condition of the car we didn't really notice the seating problem on the short test drive ... we were more focused on general driveability, performance, tightness, braking etc.
My son has just called me after his drive to work (50k) extremely disappointed with an aching back and cries of "just can't get comfortable! no support!" etc etc. The seats are not the leather version, but the ribbed velour. Car build date was actually November 97 but has 98 compliance.
Firstly does anyone else identify with this problem??
Are there any adjustments (apart from the obvious electric up-down and back-forward!) possible?
Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions... replacement seats even??
With thanks in anticipation of your experienced replies!!
Ian

Eclipsor
30-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Not owning that year myself I can't really comment on the comfort of that particular model. With relation to aftermarket options though, there are plenty around. Most people on these forums are after recaro and Bride racing style seats. But these might not really fit with the style of your car.

I have an Autotechnica "touring" style seat. Bought from Repco. It has more side boulster support and shoulder support than most accord seats but still has more padding than a racing seat. It is black leather too which might suite the car a bit more. So maybe have a look for something like this.

The other option is other stock honda seats. Someone with your model can probably advise as to whether there are any options for a straight bolt in. Maybe something from a prelude or a later model accord.

Because this brings us to the main problem for aftermarket seats. Because the seats themselves are universal you need a braket & sliders made to suit the 98 Accord. These may be tricky to buy off the shelf (as I found). One option is to look in the USA, they will have more options or get something custom made. Either of these will need to be engineered aswell. Which means taking it to an engineer that will inspect it for safety and give you a certificate and a plate that is attached in the engine bay. This all costs money.

So yeah. In summary, another bolt in honda option would be the best (if they were actually more comfortable). After that things get alot more complicated.

Eclipsor
30-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh. I just thought of another option. Maybe getting the original seat reshaped with foam and re-appolstered.

vipaccord
30-06-2009, 05:08 PM
i have a 98 v6 with the leather seats and they are great.maybe go to a wreckers and get a pair.

Feverpitched
30-06-2009, 10:26 PM
The bad OEM seats in the CD series were made worse in the CG update. My back used to ache after about an hour's drive. Nothing to do but get used to it, or do a swap.

The issue with swapping to aftermarket seats is, as said above, finding seat rails to suit - the Accord isn't exactly a popular model for seat swaps. I ended up fabbing my own brackets out of 5mm mild steel "L" brackets and modifying some OEM seat rails to suit.

IanXYZ
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the replies people. I've done some research and it seems reshaping is the way to go.
That may be the least of the problems now as it looks like there may be a transmission issue ... never assume anything!

zero_1234567890
16-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Seat swaps need a blue plate dont they?

BE.10.WU
16-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Just head to a reputable motor trimmer and ask them to build the seat up a bit.. The only problem is that if they have to make major changes they may need to retrim the seat and then there is the issue of not being able to get the original seat material.

zero_1234567890
16-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Best bet would just be to take the original seats to an Upholster and see if they can reshape it. otherwise they would be able to fix it one way or another i guess.

Feverpitched
23-07-2009, 11:29 PM
No idea how it works in QLD, but here in Mexico you need to have the installation engineered for it to be fully legal. By that I mean the rails/brackets. The seats have to be ADR approved no matter what.

Homer1
28-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes but it's only an issue if it is in a bad accident and the seat plays a part in an injury.

If you are even half arsed at fabricating you will make something significantly stronger than standard pretty easily and shouldn't have a safety issue.

Legal is another question, but wouldn't stop me if it wasn't unsafe.

Edit: would obviously be an issue if it attracts coppers anyway by being lowered, big wheels, dump pipe etc. Then I may re-think