PDA

View Full Version : centre console/DIN removal - DC2R

Zilli
30-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Hey all,

Ive got some DIN mounted gauges on the way that are going to require me to rmove the current DIN mounted sotrage area under the head unit. I have been planning to remove all of this in any case to tighten up everything behind it.

What i would like to know is how i remove the "DIN" area... where the head unit sits, are there screwns etc? i think i may need to remove the head unit but i dont think i have the keys, any ideas guys?

geeang
30-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Basically you take out the centre console bar the air conditioning controls, so you need to pull out the handbrake cover to get to the shifter cover, you pull out the shifter cover to get better access to the bottom section of the centre console.

Flip up the panel under the handbrake with a flathead, remove the two screws there, remove the handbrake cover (generally need to pull handbrake as high as you can to remove it easily).

Undo the screws on the sides of the centre console.
Pull out your ash tray, in the hole there should be another two screws to remove.
Pull your whole ash tray assembly out half way, carefully unplug the cigarette lighter, then pull the whole thing out.
Then you'll see another two screws holding the centre console onto the din face, remove those and you'll be able to remove the whole shifter cover/bottom section of the centre console.

This will give you alot more room to get behind the DIN's, now assuming your headunit is stock, the DIN pocket is held on by two brackets that are attached to the headunit (held on the sides), just remove those and your DIN pocket should come free.
I think you should be able to use those brackets to mount your DIN guages too.

Zilli
30-06-2009, 12:12 PM
excellent! the problem is the head unit is not OEM... would i need to remove that before i remove any of the ashtray/din pocket etc area?

geeang
30-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I doubt you would need to remove the headunit if the pocket is not attached to it.

Also, the DIN pocket should be screwed on to a bracket at the back as well, if you look into the pocket with a flashlight you should see a screw right in the middle at the back.

jords
30-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Do a DIY write up Zilli.

Zilli
01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
good point mate... will do if i remember, and when i get the time!