PDA

View Full Version : Factory fitted Honda iPod attachment question

purpleax
30-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I just recieved my new Accord Euro Lux Nav and one of the options was an ipod attachment.

I was expecting - since it has a huge screen for the nav - that the details of the song/album/artist playing would be displayed.

I have only had 5 minutes to play with it 'cause I am back at work, but it appears that this is not the case, and it doesnt display any information on the nav screen at all.

Is this other peoples experience? Is there a way to see what album and artist to play while browsing through the ipod music?

I have an ipod attached with 30000 songs, and the only info I get is:
"CDC Disc: 8 Track: 1" type of information!! they can't be serious!!

Other than that - freakin awesome car :D

purpleax
30-06-2009, 07:10 PM
found the answer after having a chance to read the manual.

No display of album/artist/song at all.

You have to create playlists titled: Honda1 Honda2, etc and can only play music from them.

Damn, this is some primitive stuff! Will have to go back to having CD's in the car for f#$ sake.

Word to the wise - the $500 Honda iPod attachment comes with some severe limitations!

dan_euro
01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
was gonna get the Honda iPod connector put it next service,and i kinda want it OEM, but might rethink it now if you can't get any info on screen and need special playlists. cheers man..agree about the awesome car :)

Euro08Jaz
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
google xcarlink, same thing for round 150.

purpleax
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
seems like other model Honda's have an option to display the song information, but this model doesnt.

the Honda sales guy is investigating it for me to see if there is any alternatives.

At the moment, I am thinking of just using the built in aux port and select the music manually via the ipod itself.

purpleax
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Just read the xcarlink product page and it appears to have similar functionality to the factory ipod attachment, granted its cheaper :D

primetimex
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
purpleax do a search I have posted twice regarding this ipod / audio functionality on the Euro CU2.

Basically only the US version of the CU2 ie. Acura can display the song / track names and information - we get the crap version here - all it says is "Extension" and "Volume Bar" and that's it and you get the track no and disc no on the middle display bit.

And no, the adapter is NOT compatible with neither iphone3G or the latest iteration 3GS - if u try connect it it will say "mechanical error"

Kind of disappointing that a great audio system in the Euro is let down by poor connectivity - 99% of sales people have absolutely NO idea what is ipod connectivity - for me it is not only the capability to connect and control the ipod from the car audio system but also the ability to display information about what is currently being played.

The restrictive track names such as Honda1 - 7 is also really bad - and the only way you can randomise the songs is through disc 8!

So overall, some ipod capability it's not bad - but very disappointing for a car that's had it already in the States but for some reason got cut off here probably due to cost saving reasons (my dealer don't have any idea, much less tell me why) and PLUS the CU2 is missing USB connectivity which is there on the Acura TSX.

purpleax
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Thats really dissapointing I know.

I just assumed that with a big screen for the Nav, and an official ipod attachment, that they would use the freakin thing.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will just use the Aux function and select the albums I want to listen to manually on the ipod. :thumbdwn:

Having had the car two days now, this is the only thing I can pick on with the entire car - I love it!!

primetimex
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
purpleax, forget the AUX function - it's basically useless. At least you can still create the Honda1 - Honda7 playlists in your iTunes and populate them with your favourite songs.

One more limitation of this Honda iPod system is that it can only recognise up to 99 songs - so anything beyond that the audio display will loop back to 01. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has a hard limit of 99 songs per playlist - beyond that it will go back to the first track and not keep playing the 100th songs onwards.

I guess this is a step forward for Honda going from the antiquated CD changer cassette system but it is a serious waste of the excellent 8" SatNav screen that could have been used as a showcase for the car - what surprised me was the lack of knowledge / ignorance around the audio features of the car when I first had a look at the CU2!!!

Other than that the audio system in CU2 is excellent - excellent speakers, sub and soundproofing all contribute to producing a good acoustic environment.

Now that Honda's bought share in Pioneer - let's cross our fingers and hope that the next iteration of the CU2 will have an audio system that will really knock our socks off!

purpleax
03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I havent tested it, but the manual addresses the 99 songs thing by saying only the display loops back to 1, but the songs keep playing in order of the playlist. So you should still be able to play more than 99 songs.

The AUX function isnt useless if you want to know what album you want to play. Just go directly to it on your ipod and away you go. If you use the playlist method through the ipod attachment, then you may have to sit there skipping 50 or 60 songs before you get to the album you want to listen to!

While I hope honda fix this in future models, the selfish part of me says that it isn't going to change things for me! :-)

I somehow doubt they will be releasing Nav DVDs with a firmware update!

primetimex
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Today I've purchased Michael Jackson's CD "1's" - I can see the Album title, full title and description of the songs and able to select which songs I want to listen to looks nice - too bad only works for music CD's which are CD TEXT enabled!

alienbeef
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I picked up my new Accord (not Euro) last week with dedicated Ipod dock. I share the same disappointment already expressed above. I would be prepared to accept these embarrassing limitations if I could listen to the songs on an album in random order.

The Ipod dock 'manual' (which was only faxed to me after I mentioned the problems I was having at the 1 week folllow-up phone call) says this is possible by pressing the random button on the CD player. Problem is there is no random button per se. The random option is accessed through the audio menu, and is amongst the choices presented on the sat/nav screen. This is effectively disabled once the Ipod dock is activated.

You can shuffle the entire music collection (via playlist 8) but you can't shuffle songs on a single album, even if you go to the trouble of making that album a playlist (e.g Honda1). Songs can only be played in their original order. This is an unacceptably low level of functionality for me.

I'm considering my options. The information page for the Ipod dock on the Honda.com.au website claims 'full control of the Ipod through the head unit' and also claims that 'Random play mode' is supported. I used this to decide to have the dock installed in the first place. I am seriously thinking of demanding a refund on the basis that this product does not function as advertised, for which there a some very clear laws to back me up.

Has anybody else found a way to play songs on a playlist in random order using the Ipod dock on a luxury version of Accord or Euro ?

purpleax
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
not really - it was a waste of nearly $500.

I have started making mp3 cd's so I can get the features I expected from the ipod attachment.

purpleax
11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Looking on the honda website, it does say:
The iPod® Interface supports the following modes:

'Playlist' play mode
'All shuffle' play mode
'Resume' play mode
'Random' play mode.

So we probably havent got much ground to stand on, as it says exactly the features.

iLlusion10
12-07-2009, 12:22 AM
For $500, you might as well install an after market head unit, the cost of the facial panel + headunit is probably around the same amount with about twice the amount of features, although haven't seen it installed on a CU2 yet

aaronng
12-07-2009, 01:16 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried pulling apart the trim to see what this factory ipod attachment is. From the features and limitations, it does sound like a castrated version of the xcarlink!

alienbeef
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Looking on the honda website, it does say:
The iPod® Interface supports the following modes:

'Playlist' play mode
'All shuffle' play mode
'Resume' play mode
'Random' play mode.

So we probably havent got much ground to stand on, as it says exactly the features.

The point is that on the luxury versions of Accord and Accord Euro 'Random Play Mode' is NOT supported. All 4 play modes need to be supported for the unit to perform as advertised and this is not the case. Also, you do not have 'full control of the Ipod via the head unit' which is also claimed. I'm still making up my mind what to do. If I do ask for a refund I'll post the response.

My attitude is that if enough people ask for a refund, the bean counters at Honda who decided to offer this dumbed down appliance will have to re-think the cost benefit ratio of that decision and might force them to offer a product that is up to standard.

primetimex
13-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I would be prepared to accept these embarrassing limitations if I could listen to the songs on an album in random order.

Has anybody else found a way to play songs on a playlist in random order using the Ipod dock on a luxury version of Accord or Euro ?

Hey there alienbeef, the RANDOM button I think can only be found on the US CU2 or Acura TSX. Blame Honda for using "one size fits all" type of car manual and expect people to sort out the differences.

The only way to play songs on a random order is through DISC8 while in AUX (or iPod mode). DISC8 is hardwired to play randomly and you can not manipulate this in any way.

Granted it is a dumbed down iPod interface that we get here and even worse we don't get any songs / tracks display.

If it's any consolation, I bought the Michael Jackson's Number One's CD and voila! I can see the title of the Disc and a FULL TRACK LISTING - hallelujah!

You can get track skip and volume controls and playlist (FOLDER +/-) controls through the CU2 HU, although I wished that the nice colour LCD can show the track listing and playlist control instead of just "EXTENSION"!

primetimex
13-07-2009, 11:50 AM
The point is that on the luxury versions of Accord and Accord Euro 'Random Play Mode' is NOT supported.

alienbeef, when I have the time I'll check this out at the dealer's - unfortunately they don't have non-luxury CU2 with iPod interface but their audio seems to have more controls than the Lux / SatNav versions.

purpleax
13-07-2009, 03:13 PM
The point is that on the luxury versions of Accord and Accord Euro 'Random Play Mode' is NOT supported. All 4 play modes need to be supported for the unit to perform as advertised and this is not the case. Also, you do not have 'full control of the Ipod via the head unit' which is also claimed. I'm still making up my mind what to do. If I do ask for a refund I'll post the response.

My attitude is that if enough people ask for a refund, the bean counters at Honda who decided to offer this dumbed down appliance will have to re-think the cost benefit ratio of that decision and might force them to offer a product that is up to standard.

I agree the functionality is crap - but techically random mode is playlist 8 - its just random for the whole ipod rather than the playlist.

It sucks and I dont like it - but Honda lawers would have no problems winning that case.

Thats the reason why I wanted to post in this forum - to let everyone know how bad this ipod kit is so they dont make the same mistake I did.

Its a shame too - its literally the only thing I don't like about my new purchase. It could be worse I guess! I freakin love this car every day I drive it! lol

primetimex
13-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Does anyone here know why certain (genuine) Audio CD's don't have / do not display CD Text?

I have 3 CDs from Michael Jackson and one of them don't have / do not display CD Text which prevents you from seeing the disc title and track display.

Also the iPod connector IS NOT compatible with iPhones!!!

aaronng
13-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Does anyone here know why certain (genuine) Audio CD's don't have / do not display CD Text?

I have 3 CDs from Michael Jackson and one of them don't have / do not display CD Text which prevents you from seeing the disc title and track display.

Also the iPod connector IS NOT compatible with iPhones!!!

Because the audio data on the disc press did not include CD-TEXT data on that particular disc. Not all discs have CD-TEXT. It's optional.

alienbeef
25-07-2009, 11:15 PM
For anybody who is interested, I have successfully received a full refund of the cost of the Ipod dock fitted to my Accord. They have sent the cheque and the unit will be removed at the first service. I was very well prepared and made sure I had my facts right before writing my letter requesting a refund. I also sent in a copy of a government fact sheet outlining my refund rights and used a picutre from an ealier post in these forums on Ipod docks. I found this forum to be very helpful and informative. For anybody thinking of paying for the Ipod dock to be fitted to their new Honda.....DON'T DO IT. It is a complete waste of money unless they bring out a new model that does the things and Ipod dock is meant to do.

primetimex
27-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that you removed the iPod attachment alienbeef, for me it works well despite its many shortcomings.

For those who are interested, I have found that the USB connection IS available on the Honda Legend - looks exactly the same as what's available on the US Acura. Now this USB Connection should have full functionality as the Honda Acura's iPod Connection.

My theory's they've downgraded the Euro's audio system so that it doesn't compete with the sales of the Legend!

Euro08Jaz
27-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Couldnt you put the ipod on shuffle?

alienbeef
28-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Couldnt you put the ipod on shuffle?

No. Once you connect your Ipod to the Honda Ipod dock all of the settings on the Ipod are ignored/deactivated. You can play your entire music collection in shuffle mode but on the luxury versions of Accord and Accord Euro you can not play an individual album (or playlist) in random order even if you have set your Ipod to do this when you listen through your headphones.

To play music you need to create playlists and label them Honda1 - Honda6. You can then choose between these 6 playlists using the head unit or controls on the steering wheel but you will need to remember what is on each playlist as no song/album/artist information is displayed. Songs on a Honda playlist can not be played in random order.

You can bypass this though. If you want to listen to a particular album or playlist, you can select this on your Ipod and play before plugging the Ipod into the Ipod dock. The album or playlist will continue to play but if you want to choose a different album or playlist you will need to stop, unplug your Ipod, choose the new album, press play and re-connect to the Ipod dock, or go back to one of the 'Honda' playlists you have already created.
And if I have not aready made it obvious, even if you use this method, you still can't play an album or playlist in random order.

I don't know how much of this applies to other model Honda vehicles but is correct for the luxury versions of Accord and Accord Euro. Also, I believe the poor functinality is due the audio system not the Ipod dock per se, so it is unlikely that things will improve on current models.

primetimex
29-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I might go down to my dealer's and test out the Legend's audio capability. It has the USB connector and possibly also an adapter to connect the iPod to it and this should have been what's on our Euro - no thanks to Honda!

If all goes well I should be able to report whether the Legend can display the playlist, track title etc for iPod.

Euro08Jaz
29-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I've bought the xcarlink and have no such problems, i have full control of my ipod. its a shame that honda couldnt do any better.

alienbeef
30-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I've bought the xcarlink and have no such problems, i have full control of my ipod. its a shame that honda couldnt do any better.

Tell me more. Are song/album/artist details displayed ? Does this come up on the Sat/Nav screen or the control panel screen ? Are you able to easily scroll through the Ipod menus ? How does is sound ? Any more info would be great.

Euro08Jaz
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I have full control of my ipod on the ipod interface, but it doesnt come up on sat nav screen also i can use steering controls.

BE.10.WU
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm considering my options. The information page for the Ipod dock on the Honda.com.au website claims 'full control of the Ipod through the head unit' and also claims that 'Random play mode' is supported. I used this to decide to have the dock installed in the first place. I am seriously thinking of demanding a refund on the basis that this product does not function as advertised, for which there a some very clear laws to back me up.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch when it comes to laws backing you over this. Sure the website states that you get full control of the ipod through the head unit i.e play, skip, pause and that it supports random play mode i.e disc 8.

So the website is correct and because of the things it does (sure they are very limiting) you probably won't win any sort of legal battle over this..

Good luck with it though if you do decide to do it.

Belinda03
12-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I have a standard 2003 Euro, which I am the second owner of. The previous owner had the iPod cable installed before I got the car. I don't need to unplug my iPod to be able to change the playlists/albums. Whatever settings I choose for the iPod work fine. While track numbers only go to 99, it still plays the next song. The count number just goes back to 01. Just out of curiosity, does it really matter whether the screen says the song name or artist? After all, when you're driving shouldn't you be watching the road and your surroundings as opposed to looking at what song is playing?

primetimex
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, does it really matter whether the screen says the song name or artist? After all, when you're driving shouldn't you be watching the road and your surroundings as opposed to looking at what song is playing?

Yes it does as Honda has sold us yet another dudded out audio accessory that's very badly cut down in terms of functionality as compared to the US version (which is what it is supposed to be and do).

Granted yes we keep our eyes on the road, but before we set off it would be nice to see the playlists on screen, select which one we want to play and see the songs that are currently playing. Now then if you are at a traffic light for any length of time you can use the screen and switch between songs at ease - currently there is no way to do this but the old fashioned way: brainpower and memory!

Isdonisgood
27-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I picked up my new Accord (not Euro) last week with dedicated Ipod dock. I share the same disappointment already expressed above. I would be prepared to accept these embarrassing limitations if I could listen to the songs on an album in random order.

The Ipod dock 'manual' (which was only faxed to me after I mentioned the problems I was having at the 1 week folllow-up phone call) says this is possible by pressing the random button on the CD player. Problem is there is no random button per se. The random option is accessed through the audio menu, and is amongst the choices presented on the sat/nav screen. This is effectively disabled once the Ipod dock is activated.

You can shuffle the entire music collection (via playlist 8) but you can't shuffle songs on a single album, even if you go to the trouble of making that album a playlist (e.g Honda1). Songs can only be played in their original order. This is an unacceptably low level of functionality for me.

I to ordered my new Accord Luxury V6 with Ipod integration in May '09.Am absolutely dumbfounded as to why this accessory is of the poorest quality in regards to functionallity and display features in a $50k motor car.
The vehicle itself is magnificent.If any Honda exec's read these forums they should take note of what punters say and fix it.Not good enough!
$500 lemon fitted to an otherwise excellent vehicle.
I'll probably remove it and replace it with something that does offer FULL IPOD ITEGRATION as it was described in all the sales brochures before I ordered it.

primetimex
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
For those who are interested - here's a link to the Acura TSX Website which clearly shows that the Acura TSX has full iPod / USB / USB Hard Drive capability:

http://www.acura.com/InteractiveShowroom.aspx?model=TSX#/entertainment_connections

Isdonisgood
05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I have sent an email to Honda regarding this product.Not holding my breath for a positive reply.