PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear crunch and "pop out" in dc5s

vtec'ing
30-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey guys i've started to experience this issue, after doing some searches i have found a lot of people with a lot of different ways on how to rectify the problem, the majority of people say they change this tranny fluid which im doing tommorow with original honda fluid "fingers crossed will fix the problem" and they say it gets a lot better but still happens on the odd occasion, as its a defect in the transmission and the oil sortove just masks the problem and you just learn to live with it. What no one has covered is whats gonna happen in the long term i mean i can learn to live with it but when my cars done 80,90,100 thousand k's am i gonna be driving along and just loose 3rd gear alltogether and need a tranny replacment? or is it just an inconvenience not really causing and problems.. help a brother out! cheers

Dr.k20z1
30-06-2009, 10:25 PM
you can get new syncros... but if your into it.. get some hasport mounts or innovative or somthing.. change ur fluid regularly and no gear problems ever again..

i havent had any of these issues ever since doing this..

start the car up first leave it to warm up for 5 mins or so b4 driving.. runs perfect.. (this worked with no mounts aswell so yeah)

:)

CRXDEL501
30-06-2009, 10:34 PM
id definitely be changing the gearbox oil.

and like dr.k20z1 said.. let it warm up, before u drive it hard. :thumbsup:

good point man

2002 TeGgY
30-06-2009, 10:53 PM
You should start driving immediatly when you start your car. Letting it sit idling can create carbon deposits on your valves. You should drive slowly and shift gears carefully until up to full operating temp. If you let the car idle all the way to operating temp you run the risk of excess wear as the engine spends more time running cold.

45SET
30-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Has been covered many times before (DC5R have the problem but with 2nd gear)

Change the oil, and let the car warm up before driving it. Get stiffer engine mounts or a torque dampner

2002 TeGgY
30-06-2009, 11:08 PM
8,090,100 k's !!!! wow

Dr.k20z1
30-06-2009, 11:15 PM
8,090,100 k's !!!! wow

lol dc5's are god like man i told you.. :p

IndoStyler
01-07-2009, 12:06 AM
i'd suggest to change ur gearbox oil, and warm up ur car for 30 seconds to a minute at the maximum...u'll cause excess wear to ur engine if u let it warm up to normal operating temp...just let it warm up for 30sec to a minute then drive carefully until it reaches operating temp...should be alright

45SET
01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
8,090,100 k's !!!! wow

You know exactly what he meant... but i'll still have a chuckle

:p

Tofu
03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
i've changed my gearbox oil, put on an engine torque damper and it still pops out
it's the cold that makes the gearbox do this.

TypeS
03-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey guys i've started to experience this issue, after doing some searches i have found a lot of people with a lot of different ways on how to rectify the problem, the majority of people say they change this tranny fluid which im doing tommorow with original honda fluid "fingers crossed will fix the problem" and they say it gets a lot better but still happens on the odd occasion, as its a defect in the transmission and the oil sortove just masks the problem and you just learn to live with it. What no one has covered is whats gonna happen in the long term i mean i can learn to live with it but when my cars done 80,90,100 thousand k's am i gonna be driving along and just loose 3rd gear alltogether and need a tranny replacment? or is it just an inconvenience not really causing and problems.. help a brother out! cheers

If your under warranty, print this (http://automotivetech.org/at/acutsb.pdf) out and take it to a Honda Dealership. I got my 3rd gear changed under warranty ;)

connorling
08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
something to do with the so-call gear selector.
happen to my mate's crx.
3rd gear as well.
for him it was cheap to just replace the gearbox.
dont know how many arms it costs u to change a dc5r gearbox

dinorider
08-07-2009, 09:16 PM
just let it warm up for 30sec to a minute then drive carefully until it reaches operating temp...should be alright

LOL tell that to the people living in my neighbourhood. I start my DC2 up in the morning, drive slowly out of my suburb at like, 45-50km/h to let everything get warm and up to speed, and along comes some crazy biatch in a lancer coupe flogging the guts out of her car, overtakes me at full chat on a quiet residential road. It's obvious that her car's just been started, windows frosted over and all.

Back to the gear thing, DC2s too have a history of failing synchros. Usually on a DC2 the fifth and third gear synchros wear fast. The fifth gear synchro on mine is already dying, it grinds fifth gear during regular upshifts. Even the famed Redline MTL transmission fluid couldn't help, though the Redline stuff did help all the other gears shift much, much smoother. I get around the dodgy fifth gear synchro by double de-clutching all fourth to fifth gear shifts. So far so good.

The alternative is a new gearbox, an approximate $1K expense, or a rebuild, which would cost even more.

OMG.JAI xD
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
If your gears are crunching it can be your syncros are failing to do its job (due to worn material or wrong grade oil being used).
Or it can be more severe with bearings and/or washers being worn giving the gears too much endfloat (endfloat = movement/clearance between 2 components)
Hopefully oil will fix that. I mean in my civic before. I had honda oil and it was tough. I had to force it in gear sometimes.
Then I used a little bit of a thicker oil (castrol) and the gbox was a smooth as a babies butt.

As opposed to your gears popping out. That one is not as easy as just changing oil.
Detents are used in a gearbox to keep gear selected in that position and not slip out.
If this isnt working properly then obviously its going to pop out.
Thats severe stuff though. Ive only experienced a handful of cars (non hondas) with failed detents.
On the easy side.
It could be as easy and simple as a collapse or broken mount.
A broken mount will/might cause you engine to tilt or fall.
The geometry for the shift movement wont be as accurate. And as you accelerate or decelerate your motor moves excessively and cause it to act as if youre disengaging what ever gear youre in.

A low km gearbox shouldnt have faults. Unless youve been dumping, flat shifting, speed shifting and all those sorts.
Boxes should last longer than motors.
That is, if oil changes are done regularly. No thrashing whatsoever, and a driver that knows how a vehicle reacts (ie, rev matching, clutch control etc) But that rarely happens.

air23box
11-07-2009, 08:15 AM
If your gears are crunching it can be your syncros are failing to do its job (due to worn material or wrong grade oil being used).
Or it can be more severe with bearings and/or washers being worn giving the gears too much endfloat (endfloat = movement/clearance between 2 components)
Hopefully oil will fix that. I mean in my civic before. I had honda oil and it was tough. I had to force it in gear sometimes.
Then I used a little bit of a thicker oil (castrol) and the gbox was a smooth as a babies butt.

As opposed to your gears popping out. That one is not as easy as just changing oil.
Detents are used in a gearbox to keep gear selected in that position and not slip out.
If this isnt working properly then obviously its going to pop out.
Thats severe stuff though. Ive only experienced a handful of cars (non hondas) with failed detents.
On the easy side.
It could be as easy and simple as a collapse or broken mount.
A broken mount will/might cause you engine to tilt or fall.
The geometry for the shift movement wont be as accurate. And as you accelerate or decelerate your motor moves excessively and cause it to act as if youre disengaging what ever gear youre in.

A low km gearbox shouldnt have faults. Unless youve been dumping, flat shifting, speed shifting and all those sorts.
Boxes should last longer than motors.
That is, if oil changes are done regularly. No thrashing whatsoever, and a driver that knows how a vehicle reacts (ie, rev matching, clutch control etc) But that rarely happens.

That sounds really true for most of the other make and models but it won't apply to DC5's Its well know issue and most of the current/ex owners have to live with it. I am the lucky guy that I never experience that in my car tho......even I am hitting 180,000km in the clock. What i hear from ppl is redline gearbox oil is pretty good and a few mates of mine said after they swap to redline gearbox oil it feel smoother to shift.......I hope this helps.....