PDA

View Full Version : Honda extended warranty or dealer mechanical plan. Are they worth it?

fab4272
01-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi All,
I am interested in taking out either a Honda assured extended warranty or a specific dealer mechanical protection plan. The latter sounds more like a form of insurance than a warranty.

The extended warranty is $750 for 2 years, is very similar to the factory warranty (ie. no limit on cover for items deemed coverable), but it states that I must use genuine Honda parts and have it serviced at regular intervals as specified in the manual. It also includes premium roadside assist.

The second basically has limits on the amount of the $$$ value it will cover. For $795 over 3 years, its cover is limited to $2000 per claim (with unlimited claims) and also includes the same roadside assist. Also, I MUST have it only serviced by the dealer that I take this out with, no exceptions.

In my opinion, the extended offers more value and does not take my freedom of choice away when serviciing.

Has anyone else faced the same choices and were you able to negoitate on the pricing at all?

Thanks.

shadou
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
the extended warranty would be your best choice in regards to money saved over that 2 year period, Honda usually charges around $200-$240 per service using only genuine Honda oils, fluid and parts, and a lot more for the 40,000km, 60,000km and 100,000km services.

I haven't really heard too much problems with the new civics, I've seen the window issue (tilting in the rails) and that was about it I think.

fab4272
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks, I think i will go the extended warranty option, that way I have freedom of choice of who services it.

sirdistik
07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
So.. when the time comes.. how many of us will purchase the extended warranty? I'm asking because mine's ending in August

fab4272
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
So.. when the time comes.. how many of us will purchase the extended warranty? I'm asking because mine's ending in August

I decided not to. It still has another 2 (or it is 3) years on the body.

The main reason I wanted to take it out was because of these cracked engine block stories I have heard from the US, but it doesn't sound like it has affected cars here.

sirdistik
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
That was one of my main concerns too! especially when the guy who was trying to sell it to me said "for example, if your engine breaks.. we'll replace it under warranty".. great example huh? This was at the Honda service centre

hondar
08-07-2009, 11:30 PM
it is good to ask what is covered under the warranty?

too often this is just another gimmick to make more money out of honda owner

i didnt op for extra warranty that they offer because
1. honda cars are generally very durable. you dont get much problem or any within 5 years
2. if you have problems generally is factory fault which is covered anyway
3. if you look after your car, you wont need them
4. most wear and tear is not covered anyway

thats my opinion at least... btw i have cu2 with post-detonation sound which doesnt concern me nor make me want to take the extra warranty

just my 2 cents

fab4272
09-07-2009, 09:02 AM
it is good to ask what is covered under the warranty?

too often this is just another gimmick to make more money out of honda owner

i didnt op for extra warranty that they offer because
1. honda cars are generally very durable. you dont get much problem or any within 5 years
2. if you have problems generally is factory fault which is covered anyway
3. if you look after your car, you wont need them
4. most wear and tear is not covered anyway

thats my opinion at least... btw i have cu2 with post-detonation sound which doesnt concern me nor make me want to take the extra warranty

just my 2 cents

I agree with most of your points, but have to disagree with item 2. If it is outside warranty period they can make it difficult to have the problem fixed. Have you been following the Ford Territory ball joint/brake line issues lately? Owners are suffering premature ball joint and brake line failures outside the warranty period and Ford have until recently been very stubborn and are trying to pass the cost onto the owners, even though there seems to be evidence that the cause for these failures are design faults.

hondar
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I agree with most of your points, but have to disagree with item 2. If it is outside warranty period they can make it difficult to have the problem fixed. Have you been following the Ford Territory ball joint/brake line issues lately? Owners are suffering premature ball joint and brake line failures outside the warranty period and Ford have until recently been very stubborn and are trying to pass the cost onto the owners, even though there seems to be evidence that the cause for these failures are design faults.

hei mate, thanks for bringing the point up... maybe i didnt elaborate more... :D

i think i would just refer this in the context of honda only for warranty. i do not knoq what sort of warranty they give for other car as i never bought other car except honda and i cannot assume the warranty is the same.

#2 is i am referring to general fault which is not isolated to just your car, like for example the cu2 post combustion issue, whether or not i am under warranty, they should fixed it. i remember a few years ago my civic coupe was recalled because of a known problem and my warranty has lapse.

but referring to your example, ball joint and brakeline do fall under wear and tear parts and hence why they are stubborn to replace them as far as i know most warranty do not cover wear and tear

unless the people can establish it is not a wear and tear issue but a design fault issue, then the people has no case againts ford

but if the case is proven to be design fault rather wear and tear issue.. all car regardless if they still have warranty or not should be recalled to have the ball joint replaced (expensive excercise for ford). that is why they are trying their best to deny it...(aka stubborn)

this is exactly my point.. warranty do not cover wear and tear.. most parts of your car is wear and tear parts.. so what is there to be covered???

i would rather have the money sitting in the bank that you can withdraw when time has come to replace the wear and tear part :thumbsup:

sirdistik
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Wow.. good arguements. On that note.. what is considered NOT wear and tear in a vehicle? Although the sales rep said that if the engine 'broke' they'll fix it free of charge, pretty much all parts of the engine is suspectible to wear of time anyways.

hondar
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow.. good arguements. On that note.. what is considered NOT wear and tear in a vehicle? Although the sales rep said that if the engine 'broke' they'll fix it free of charge, pretty much all parts of the engine is suspectible to wear of time anyways.

you need to ask them what is covered exactly. i dont think i am in the right position to do say which one is covered, which one is not..

with engine broke, you need to ask if you are covered as long as the engine broke OR they need to establish who is at fault before warranty becomes valid..

sirdistik
09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
From past experience, they'll fight tooth and nail and it was your fault before admitting that they might possibly have a problem with their product (engine). So, I'm in the same boat as you Hondar, I won't be extending my warranty as every other Honda i've owned has never had a problem engine wise with good regular maintenance

JOhnnyFD
09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
after ownin my civic FD for lik 3 months, dealers sent me notice about extending my warranty to 5yrs.. and i was lik... nahhhhh

aaronng
09-07-2009, 05:55 PM
#2 is i am referring to general fault which is not isolated to just your car, like for example the cu2 post combustion issue, whether or not i am under warranty, they should fixed it. i remember a few years ago my civic coupe was recalled because of a known problem and my warranty has lapse.

Let's say your A/C shat itself after 3 years. Many other Euros have the same problem, but it will not be covered because you are out of warranty and it is not a factory fault that compromises the safety of the car, so there is no mandatory recall. Extended factory warranty is good for that. The repair will exceed $2000, so the dealer extended warranty is not worth it.

fab4272
10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Let's say your A/C shat itself after 3 years. Many other Euros have the same problem, but it will not be covered because you are out of warranty and it is not a factory fault that compromises the safety of the car, so there is no mandatory recall. Extended factory warranty is good for that. The repair will exceed $2000, so the dealer extended warranty is not worth it.

No, not the dealer extended warranty it definitaly is not worth what they asked from me. $795 for 3 yrs, CAN ONLY be serviced by that dealer as well and limited to a max claim of $2000.

The factory extended warranty is different. $750 for 2 years, same conditions (as far as I can tell) as the std 3 yr warranty

Both come with 24 roadside assist.

If I was going to take one of these options out, it would have only been the latter....the dealer option is a rip off.

sirdistik
10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
well, how many of us has ever had to call Road Side assitance with our Hondas? I personally never have.

fab4272
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
well, how many of us has ever had to call Road Side assitance with our Hondas? I personally never have.

Neither have I, but this is my first Honda.....

Catcha
13-07-2009, 01:30 AM

When you need it you will wish you did have it..............insurance peace of mind simple

kimnkk
13-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Got the letter about a month or so from Honda. I'm not at home atm but how long do i have to accept it usually? The car was bought July 2008 FYI. Not sure if its worth going the factory one, but to confirm, does it also come with road side for those 2 years (and only those 2 years, or roadside for whatever i have left + 2 years)?

Thanks!