PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

Ek4Vtir
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey guys just need a little help.

I was driving the other day and all of a sudden my clutch when all awkward. It seems like the friction point changed it's position. Now when I change gears I have to release clutch a lot sooner than normal. I'm asumeing my clutch is stuffed? If you can shead light on this would be great.

I'm thinking bout changing it over to heavy duty but got no idea how much it would cost and what brand is good for ek4? Any advice would be great. Thanks guys

Mikecivic78
04-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Could be the clutch is on the way out. The pedal might need adjustment or it might be starting to slip. Try this trick. Drive the car at a stable speed and very quickly (without letting go of the throttle) depress and release the clutch. If it's fine, it should engage with a noticable thump. If it slowly picks up speed, then its probably slipping and on its way out.

bee101
04-07-2009, 01:36 AM
might be as simple as putting in some clutch fluid ^_^

markoJEK1
04-07-2009, 07:27 AM
For your clutch to change to a better engagement point doesnt sound right, perhaps who ever fitted it initially did not install it correctly or rid the system of any air. If its not slipping and operation is normal apart from changed engagement point I dont think you have much to worry about.

Ek4Vtir
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, drove it lastnight it's wierd, when I drove around a bit, it went back to normal and at times the friction point changes again. Also changes when I leave the car sitting there for awhile.. It's completely oem clutch never changed. I think it might be the clutch fluid, hope so. I'll try driving it again later and quickly release to see if there's a thump, if there is I'm asumeing it's not the clutch which is the cause of the fault ay

MrJohn
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
clutch and brakes at penrith - $800 bux excedy heavy duty for b16a. in and out pm me if u want number
i have the same problem too i have my clutch and now kinda feels like it slipping, i dunno if its my leg getting use to it or ?? i dunno =s? i guess best thing is changing the fluid? i change it at 139,000 now its on 139,360 it feels like its slipping

dcnl
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
could be your clutch master cylinder

reedyek4
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
you would know if its slipping..any reasonable amount of throttle you will notice lots of revving with no real power output..pain in the ass..

vinnY
07-07-2009, 09:55 AM
try to take off in fourth
if clutch is worn, revs creep up without going anywhere far
if you stall then the clutch is fine and i'd say theres air in the lines or something

reedyek4
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
If it is worn also..you will find that 1st will suffer first, then progress up the gears..

98vtir
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I got an Exedy Sports clutch to replace my worn H/Duty one (dunno what brand it was), I actually found that to be alot 'snappier' than the H/Duty one. Only cost like $400 installed

reedyek4
07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
man $400 not bad for a decent clutch, i paid $3000 fitted for an orc single plate on my evo...exedy should do the job

steeeven
07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
bleed it!

dumped echo
09-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Check that there's no leaks from the master cylinder. Check in the foot well for any fluid on the carpet.

The fact that it happened suddenly sort of suggests to me that something broke. I've seen the actual clutch pedal bracket break before. The spot welds on one side failed, which just required a quick re-weld. Check that out while you're down there.