PDA

View Full Version : b16a LSD

ninzee
01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
hi just wondering i got a eg civic with a b16a but it doesnt have a LSD in it and im jst wondering is it possible to add on and if so at what cost

Bludger
02-07-2009, 02:23 AM
yes, but find out yourself.

shadou
02-07-2009, 05:08 AM
aftermarket add on which will costs a lot, 1.3k for a cusco b16a 1.5 way from a trader here and opening the box wouldn't be cheap.
sell and buy a type R box.
sell and buy an optioned LSD eg6 box
try and source the optioned LSD item from a b16a box.

pretty sure there's more options, I'm buggered, can't think too clearly atm

anjin
03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
If it helps, I did the change myself, and I had only had a gearbox open once before. Opening the box etc is not too bad if you have the manual instructions and follow them closely. You will probably need the full workshop manual - the Haynes 'light' manuals tend to skip gearbox internals.
The B boxes are a lot easier than the earlier L3 and CG versions, believe me. About the only non standard tool needed is a sturdy circlip type pair of pliers to open a large circlip ring on the shaft. The only difficult part was getting the shaft out of the open diff and into the lsd. I took the pieces to a local gearbox workshop and they did it on their hydraulic press for $30.

Provided you are reasonable competent and don't force anything, it's possible to do it yourself. At worst you would have to take the pieces to the workshop and ask them to reassemble it.

I also went for a cheaper OBX lsd - about 40% of the cost of the quaife and kaaz models. So far it's been good value with about 500 hard track laps and some daily driving, and no problems.