PDA

View Full Version : tyre changing question

minglds
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi, the inside thread of my tyres always worn quicker than the outside. do you guys have the same case? i think it is because there is a little angle between the wheels and road, oh, really hard to describ, the inside of the wheels touch the road first,if you lift the car up and put back down. does that make sense?
i am wondering if i can swap the passenger side tyres with driver side tyres. so the inside of the tyres will become outside, so the less worn side will touch the road first. can i do that instead of buying 4 new tyres, just to save some money?

BTW, why people make the wheels with a bit of angle to the road anyway? why not just 90 degree, straight on the road?

thanks guys.

flipfire
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
You have camber, which is the angle of the tyre. Get a wheel alignment.

If you car is lowered then it will naturally camber.

minglds
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM

yeah, my car is lowered, so can i swap the driver side and passenger side tyres?

thanks for the term camber, just had a look at it, my car is negative camber, saved all the description above. lol

LiKPiC
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
most tyres have an "inside" and and "outside" wall, so you cannot change the passenger tyre with the driver tyre in such a way that the inside becomes the outside.

get a wheel alignment, and rotate your wheels regularly so they wear out evenly.

minglds
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM
thanks for your help mate. appreciat it

~Sp33~
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM

The wear is caused by toe, you can have camber and normal wear :thumbsup: