PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons - Auto Tranny Turbo Setup

HRV-80Y
07-11-2004, 07:25 PM
as topic suggest wondering what the pros or cons dere are of a automatic transmission car with a turbo...

PhatSol
07-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Pros:

- Don't loose turbine speed between shifts (stay WOT)
- Faster shifts

Cons:

- Stock FWD auto trannys are usually weak (i know Mitsubishi are, i'm guessing honda are the same?)
- More expensive than a manual to repair/upgrade
- Less fuel efficent (daily driver)
- Generally less control of the car during cornering etc....

Weq
07-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Shift shock doesnt effect the auto as much as other brands. ive heard of people nuetral dropping in boost -12psi peak- for extended periods (read: they were doing a 5speed swap soon) and the trannys never skipped a beat with a cooler. Your only worry turbo wise is heat, and a oil cooler is recommended for setups heavily utilised or boosting above 8psi regulaliry.

B|ade
16-11-2004, 12:05 AM
My auto ****ed up when I turbo'ed my car (although it was slightly ****ed before the conversion). I'd go manual anyday.

Auto's gonna get you a quicker 1/4 tho (if you have a built auto that is). I was weighin up strengthening my auto but ended up going with the 5spd conversion and I couldn't be happier.

End of the day, manual is more fun to drive and you have more control. Saying that though, you can get a "clutchless auto" that is basically like manual anyway but will give you shofter shifting and, end result, better slips.

imashy14u
16-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Factory auto's also reduces power at the wheels due to the use of a torque converter

BLKCRX
16-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tuning a autocar .. is the biggest problem

Factory ECU controls the auto side of the gear box, factory Auto ECU"s arn't tuneable, thus you must realy on a piggyback device to tune a auto car.

Regards James

poweredbyhonda
16-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Which is what a Hondata is. A reprogrammable chip in the stock ecu = piggy back = Hondata. Which is the best ecu around :confused: .

Weq
16-11-2004, 01:28 PM
e-manage will suit an auto obd2 well :)

hondata isnt a piggyback, its a basically a re-programmed stock ECU.

b00std
24-11-2004, 07:22 PM
i have a off street datsun 1000 coupe and i'm running a auto behind it.. cant go past it!! for straight line speed that is.. the box is fully manualised big stally ect and as for control a manualised auto is just as good as a manual imo..

b00std
24-11-2004, 07:24 PM
plus with the stally you can sit at the line and stall it up on to boost and it sounds wicked!! and will always get a consistant launch..