PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying an integra or prelude

llmoose
08-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Ok so the Mrs needs a new car. She basically wants something that looks good/sporty and has a little bit of go. She is upgrading from a 1.3L 94' Auto Barina so anything will be a stepup as far as performance goes.

She likes the look of the preludes and integras. Has around $7.5k to spend give or take a little. I'm definately no rookie when it comes to cars but I have never dealt with much Honda stuff. Can anyone give me a comparo on the integras and preludes? They both seem to suit the same sort of market so im confused as why honda sold them simultaneously. Am I right in saying the larger engine of the prelude makes it more powerful whilst the integra is more nimble?

Any other recommendations for cars from any make or model she should look at?

4age8u
08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
eg5 vti on coilovers and nice rota wheels and your done

llmoose
08-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I have no idea what you just suggested. I doubt she will need to lash out on coilovers. I probably overstated when I said a little bit of go. She thought my old 15.3 second EL falcon was "VERY FAST"

She just needs something that unlike the barina gets up and down hills without problems and doesn't take 3km to get to 110.

tec it
08-07-2009, 12:29 AM
mate it depends, what i would recommend would be the prelude for your wife, mainly cause they feel better put together, they have all the luxuries you need, personally they look better and they have the up and go your wife will ever need.

I've got a 92 Prelude S, the thing has just gone over 240k's and is still in fantastic shape, the seats don't have any rips or tears and the paint has little to no fade and it has not had a respray, i picked mine up for 6k with full books, even the receipt of when it was first bought. I doubt you will find an Integra in good a shape.

Good Luck Mate.

PM if you needed anything else.

da9_boy
08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
7.5k can you get a nice DC2 integra GSi.. she won't be needing vtec or anything.

Try and get one below 150,000 km with log books etc and your set!

llmoose
08-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Sorry guys your going to have to try and refrain from using model numbers alone. I have no idea what a DC2 integra looks like. If you can provide years with the model it would be better.

I'm thinking about pushing her towards a prelude VTi-R so the Vtec is there when I want to drive!

Another question, what is the performance difference between auto and manual in these cars? I know in the falcons there is a huge gulf between the auto and the manual.

4age8u
08-07-2009, 01:11 AM
ok sorry bud for ur mrs i would recomend a prelude vtir bb6 in manual..as its more luxury well put together than the integra..its like integra is light weight version..so in falcon its like xr6 turbo and the prelude is xr8 boss..get my drift

_bORdO_
08-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Both lines of Honda are very good and extremely reliable.
For the price bracket your looking at none will have the gift of vTEC.

Both Honda models will have the same amount of power/control.
I think the prelude would have a slight larger power gain.
Just ask your Mrs which she prefers in looks, there's your answer :)

The following is an extract from the following thread --> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6

DC4 Integra GSi
Released: Late 1993-2001
Engine: B18B2: 1.8L DOHC, 107kW@6300RPM
Torque: 172Nm @ 5200RPM
Weight: 1146kg

(couldnt find any discussion in this forum about prelude Si specs)
http://92lude.com/prelude_engine_specs.htm <-- shows Prelude Si specs, although you'll have to convert hP to kW --> http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/converter.htm

hope this helped

hotdc2
08-07-2009, 04:10 AM
i disagree with the above, you can quite easily pick up a vtir teg or lude for less than 8g on todays market. I picked up a 95 vtir integra for $7300. Everything is selling much cheaper these days with the economy the way it is. It will eventually just come down to personal preference. get her a photo of the two side by side, and ask her which shape she prefers. the preludes are sexy, i'm guessing she will choose that.

EK1.6LCIV
08-07-2009, 09:21 AM
def get a lude for the gf/wife :)
sooo much better inside, no contest

_bORdO_
08-07-2009, 01:29 PM
hotdc2 - your right!! i just looked on carsales, there are a few vtir models going around... but that price stops at 1995 and the KM's are enormous, any model after that jumps up to 10-11k+
never the less you are right.
l personally think lntegras look alot better than any prelude model (my opinion) but i can see why preludes are the favoured choice.

llmoose - if your anything like me hahah, i would tell her to throw in a little more cash and pick up a decent vtir model on the sly!!!

shitbox
08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
the prelude's although heavier than the integra's there engines have more torque although it can be argued the integra is quicker this is only when there reved out hard and thrown around alot if ur missus is anything like most women she probably wont enjoy revving the shit out if it to get it moving. preludes probably a better cruiser perhaps a 5th generation prelude si would suit her well 1997-2001 might get one in the price range to if u shop around. the vtir's models are better but there is alot of price difference i would stear clear of the automatics altogether. not trying to start an argument as to which car is better just suggesting the 5th gen prelude might be best for ur missus based on the info you have given.

denrie
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM
get a integra is more fuel efficient and more space than a prelude BB6

ive got a honda civic for sale with b16 conversion in it Dohc vtec!
let me know if your interested

Riviera
08-07-2009, 07:07 PM
go the lude for the misses, more home felt interiors you can sit in them all day...
although the price is very steep on the VTi-R ludes... people are askin 20K lol
what a joke. since the new p plate laws kicked in thats what happend...

if you cant find a lude at a reasonable price go the integra for sure, more aftermarket support lalala so on...

Bludger
08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
eg5 vti on coilovers and nice rota wheels and your donestupid answer.

all responses are good, except for the one i quoted.

interfooler
08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Get the prelude for the missus. I bet she won't be modifying it, a stock prelude looks better than a stock integra, imo.

dinorider
09-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Honda Australia has very helpfully left all their old brochures online. Download them and study them like when buying a new car, then decide from there.

Prelude 92-96
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/Honda.com.au/Home/Owners/Previous+Models/Prelude/1992+-+1996/

Prelude 97-01
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/Honda.com.au/Home/Owners/Previous+Models/Prelude/1997+-+2001/

Integra 94-01
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/Honda.com.au/Home/Owners/Previous+Models/Integra/1994+-+2001/

The Prelude and Integra don't really fit the same market. From 97 to 01, the Prelude was marketed as Honda's GT car while the Integra was more overtly sporty.

The biggest problem now is finding good ones in good shape. As prices for them start coming into the reasonable bracket, many have been owned by young drivers modding them crazy with occasionally dodgy bits, and also driven hard through their life. They are very hardy cars, but many have been seriously flogged. Get them thoroughly checked out before committing.

If you're after a no-fuss car for the missus, best find one in stock or near-stock condition for peace of mind.

b4dnuf
09-07-2009, 01:59 PM
the prelude is a nicer ride but have very limited space for passengers, it is mainly a 2 person car. however having an integra myself the seating is not much better but u can fit people more easily in the teg than the lude. but Preludes are a very nice cruiser they more luxuries than the teg.

NightKids
10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I think you should get the Prelude!

midnitebluevtec
15-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Ok so the Mrs needs a new car. She basically wants something that looks good/sporty and has a little bit of go. She is upgrading from a 1.3L 94' Auto Barina so anything will be a stepup as far as performance goes.

She likes the look of the preludes and integras. Has around $7.5k to spend give or take a little. I'm definately no rookie when it comes to cars but I have never dealt with much Honda stuff. Can anyone give me a comparo on the integras and preludes? They both seem to suit the same sort of market so im confused as why honda sold them simultaneously. Am I right in saying the larger engine of the prelude makes it more powerful whilst the integra is more nimble?

Personally i prefere the honda prelude, reason why i say this is the handling is great and the car exterior and interior looks much better than an integra 1994-98 model. With honda prelude's though there are 3 types, one is the S model which offers a standard 4 cyclliner car producing about 120kw, an Si which is the 2nd best which comprises with a 2.3 litle 4 cylliner engine, and the power plant vtir which is a DOHC 2.2 litre vtec engine producing 144kw or 165kw if it has a jdm engine. In America the honda prelude was also voted one of the best cars to buy and drive under 30k, and also on the RACV april edition had an article about the car describing the vehicle as a reliable and fun vehicle to own/ drive.

integra_
28-07-2009, 11:10 PM

ayee mate ive got ma black 1998 integra 4 sale if ur interested?

integra_
28-07-2009, 11:12 PM
anyone interested in a black 1998 integra manual with mods

rbk_212
30-07-2009, 06:08 PM
^stop hi jacking the thread

I've owned both a 97 Prelude vti-r and an 96 Integra vti-r, the teg may be a more focused sports car with higher track potential, but for the road you want a Prelude, especially for the wife

More comfortable ride, way better interior, classier look and just as much poke as the Integra. Plus your less likely to get some munter in a pulsar trying to drag you at the lights