PDA

View Full Version : Strange radio & headlights issue

mycxi
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have a 97 EK Civic. I've noticed the last few months, of a night when I turn the headlights on, there is sometimes a bit of a delay before they actually come on. Not long, but just seems to lag a bit. I never thought too much of it as it wasn't a problem.

A few days ago I went out in the morning, started up, and the radio was quiet. Its always on usually. I thought I must have turned it down so turned it up, nothing. Had to turn it on completely and it asked for the CODE. Strange, the battery hadn't been flat or disconnected, and the clock was still right. Got the code, fixed.

The other night I started up, radio has been ok since, however on this occasion, I turned the headlights on, and the radio lost power for a fraction of a second, not quite enough to ask for the code this time, but the display and sound went off for a fraction of a sec and came back, all ok.

Could the headlight delay turning on be related somehow? Crossed wire etc?

Alternatively, I was thinking the battery might be dodgy with the voltage is dropping very low when the headlights are turning on or similar?

What on earth is going on? Where do I start please????? :o

vtesh
08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
where to start? i'd say a visual inspection on your components and so forth, for example the alternator for loose connections, check the belts, check the battery for signs of corrossion as that can cause your battery to loose power from time to time, ,,,

get yourself a multi metre, test your alternator and battery, see if you have the correct ampage, voltage coming across,

Bludger
10-07-2009, 01:56 AM
electrical problem, check alternator & battery.

They may still work, but they may be old & worn

OMG.JAI xD
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have a 97 EK Civic. I've noticed the last few months, of a night when I turn the headlights on, there is sometimes a bit of a delay before they actually come on. Not long, but just seems to lag a bit. I never thought too much of it as it wasn't a problem.

A few days ago I went out in the morning, started up, and the radio was quiet. Its always on usually. I thought I must have turned it down so turned it up, nothing. Had to turn it on completely and it asked for the CODE. Strange, the battery hadn't been flat or disconnected, and the clock was still right. Got the code, fixed.

The other night I started up, radio has been ok since, however on this occasion, I turned the headlights on, and the radio lost power for a fraction of a second, not quite enough to ask for the code this time, but the display and sound went off for a fraction of a sec and came back, all ok.

Could the headlight delay turning on be related somehow? Crossed wire etc?

Alternatively, I was thinking the battery might be dodgy with the voltage is dropping very low when the headlights are turning on or similar?

What on earth is going on? Where do I start please????? :o

That line has your solution.
Check your earths.