PDA

View Full Version : blue face gagues on ej8

Civic_Spec
08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
hey guys i've done a search for this and nothing has come up. I just purchased a set of blue glowing faces for my ej8

(http://cgi.ebay.com.au/96-00-EK-Civic-GLi-electric-EL-Glow-Gauges-BLUE-FACE-MT_W0QQitemZ330337752222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_ Parts_Accessories?hash=item4ce9aa149e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0| 293%3A1|294%3A50)

instructions didn't come with it i was just wondering how hard they are to install and do i need to glue it down to put it on or is it just slip over?
cheers

EK1.6LCIV
09-07-2009, 03:04 PM
You could always take them to autobarn/auto electrician (I only say autobarn as they see aftermarket clusters all the time) for an electrical bloke to wire up if its pretty straight forward

OMG.JAI xD
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Remove cover/trim that covers the cluster. Should be 2 screws facing upwards.
Remove the cluster.
Should be screws that hold the different gauges/units in.

Once its out you have screws that hold the gauge facing in.
Before you do that. Remove the gauge needle holder (the black tip thing that the needles rest on.)
You will see that your rpm and speedo needles drop. Make a small marking on the facia, on where that needle drops to. (or else youll need to calibrate everything).

Remove the needle by carefully pulling it. DO NOT LEVER IT SIDEWAYS. It will snap.
Then take the 2 screws that hold the facia in.

Line up the old and new facias.
Make the same markings you did for the needle position.

Put new facias in. Line up needle to the marking.
Place needle holder/retainer point thing back in making sure the needle rests on it (or you can leave it out and have your needles rest past the 0 mark.

Assemble everything, make sure all screws are on properly. If its not touching the inductive copper plate you can have spikes/shorts in the cluster.

Test everything.
I find it best. To cruise with another car at 40-60 Kmh. And see if your speedos are any different to each other.

Hope it helped. It aint that hard.

Riviera
09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
agreed not that hard, they dont look too bad either...

Civic_Spec
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
thanks guys was really helpfull was kinda hoping that i didnt have to remove needles as it says on the ebay add("Direct overlay to stock gauge cluster, no need to remove any needles and stock equipment!")! i will post some pics up as soon as i get them in to show you guys thanks again

Civic_Spec
09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
agreed not that hard, they dont look too bad either...

thanks mate i hope they look better in the car:o iwasnt too sure on carbon fibre electric blue

OMG.JAI xD
09-07-2009, 08:02 PM
thanks guys was really helpfull was kinda hoping that i didnt have to remove needles as it says on the ebay add("Direct overlay to stock gauge cluster, no need to remove any needles and stock equipment!")! i will post some pics up as soon as i get them in to show you guys thanks again

Direct overlay is just another way of saying. Take the old one and itll fit straight in.

Its like buying headers that say "bolt-on"
You dont put it over your existing headers. You gotta take the old one out n put the new ones in.

Gotme homie deeohdoublegee? =]

Civic_Spec
09-07-2009, 08:08 PM
lol but it says no need to remove needles arghhhhhhhh grrr lol
i guess i'll have to

SHOGUNOVDDRK
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Do it green while you're there.

OMG.JAI xD
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
lol but it says no need to remove needles arghhhhhhhh grrr lol
i guess i'll have to

I guess you can maneuver it thru the hole.
You can try. If it works it works lol. But the last time i saw. The black part of the needle is bigger than the hole on the facia. lol so =/ ahahha

nisboi40
10-07-2009, 05:48 AM
I manged to do it without taking the needles off I bought exactly the same one

Civic_Spec
11-07-2009, 01:16 PM
hey guys i know this is another stupid question but with the wiring what do i connect it to from the module do i just tap it into the wire that runs to the lights??

Civic_Spec
13-07-2009, 12:04 AM
hey guys they fit straight over existing without the removal of needles or anything