PDA

View Full Version : Techies: engine harness plugs

VTECnique
08-07-2009, 08:26 PM
So, i was looking around my engine bay (EK1) trying to find the engine harness plugs (for sensors, injectors, dizzy, etc...), the big plugs on the sides near the strut towers. I found the drivers side plug, but i couldnt find the passenger side plug. Is it mounted underneath the battery plate or around near there? Im not talking about the headlight harness either...

Im trying to look for the plug the injectors come out of so i can wire in some resistors to use with low imp injectors...

CRXer
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
theres a junction connector at the back of the manifold with a hole heap of yellow/black wires going into it.
u need to identify which 4 yellow/black wires go to the injectors & cut the resistors into there.

VTECnique
09-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Could i perhaps wire the resistors in near the injectors, so i know for certain which yellow/black wires to use...

CRXer
09-07-2009, 10:57 AM
cut in wherever u want,

join all 4 power(yellow/black) wires together & feed to resistor box,
then a resistor out to each individual injector(yellow/black) wire.

CRXer
12-07-2009, 01:47 AM
just saw a pic of the junction connector your looking for,its right under the injectors,sort of,lol.......

pic here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116065)

VTECnique
12-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Ok, now that i have that sorted, i have another tech question.

I know the Y4 is a little different to alot of other honda motors, mainly being the batch fire injection (2 injectors 1 wire). when i was looking at the injectors themselves, all the injector wires were different colours to each other (i know the ylw/blk wires are power source). Which got me thinking, is all the wiring from sensors to the 2 big plugs in the engine bay, the same as other model civics, VTi, VTi-R, etc.

If that be the case, in order for an engine swap, all id need wiring wise is an EJ8 or EK4 ecu to the big plugs wiring/harness. all id need to rewire though is the dizzy because its different. Am i correct in saying this??

Before we go any further, no im not doing an engine swap (just yet anyway). I just want this information out there for fellow EK1 owners in the 'engine swap' boat. I know you can buy edge's EK1 to OBD* conversion harness & that would probably be easier, but DIY is king...

CRXer
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
are u sure its batched?
couldnt imagine honda doin it...
just see if all 4 coloured wires appear at the ecu plugs,if the adapter harness just plugs up for a swap,then i dare`say all 4 individual injector wires appear at the ecu plugs,& if they are batched,its done internally to the ecu.

whats the case with the dizzy?
put up a pic of the plugs showing the wires.put up a pic of the ecu plugs while your at it.

at the end of the day,u'll find a lot of the pins in honda plugs are interchangeable between plugs used for similar purposes,u'll find u can just depin & repin to the reqd plugs,mightnt even need adapter harnesses & the like.

even to the extent of you have the same number of wires reqd for a swap(or close to it,considering u'll be swapping egr valves for vtec & 3 wire idle valves for 2 wire,etc),just being a matter of rearranging a few pin connections at main plugs & ecu plugs,to supply a different engine harness(assuming engine harness is from similar model chassis & the basic wiring layout is similar).

hard for me to speculate without seeing the actual y4 wiring....

ECU-MAN
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
D16Y4 is batch injection.

nd55
13-07-2009, 01:42 PM
> all id need wiring wise is an EJ8 or EK4 ecu to the big plugs wiring/harness.

No. ECU plugs are different too.

> couldnt imagine honda doin it...

They did.

Australia (Y4) only. No idea why given the expense to tool up and re-do the assembly line.

The Y4 ignition is shared with another Honda utility vehicle which was never marketed here.

Fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer. No idea on the effects on pollution readings.

> all id need to rewire though is the dizzy because its different.

Get a new D15B7 dizzy and do a complete ODB1 conversion or get ECUMAN to do a Y4 to ODB1 conversion harness.

ODB1 has crank position sensor in dizzy (24 tooth).

ODB2 has crank position sensor on crank (12 tooth).

Y4 has a four hole optical sensor.
I'm guessing the ignition module in the Y4 dizzy takes care of dwell and advance.

Nick.