PDA

View Full Version : how much more power?

elude
07-11-2004, 11:06 PM
i have a 1988 prelude si with the B20 in it.
just wondering what kind of power gain i could expect if i got a new exhaust system? prob a 2.25" from cat back just mild steel (nothing special) from exhaust shop.
or is there a better option?
also i was curious is the any thing else that would give a cheap but worth while power gain? (i already have a pod and i am on a budget)
Thanks
Saul

shecomb
08-11-2004, 08:00 AM
About 5-10kw at the wheels

Spite84
10-11-2004, 10:04 PM
How did you fit your pod, and how much gain did you notice from it?

flipmods
10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
You are most probably losing power with your pod if it is sucking the hot engine compartment air. I measured the temperature of the air when I had a K&N and at standstill at the lights it hit 70+ degrees (Temp could not be read at anything higher). And when I put the stock air box in I only hit 45 degrees, your best bet is to put a K&N in your stock box.

i have a 1988 prelude si with the B20 in it.
just wondering what kind of power gain i could expect if i got a new exhaust system? prob a 2.25" from cat back just mild steel (nothing special) from exhaust shop.
or is there a better option?
also i was curious is the any thing else that would give a cheap but worth while power gain? (i already have a pod and i am on a budget)
Thanks
Saul

elude
15-11-2004, 06:26 PM
cheers guys, yea i just got a bit of steel piping and put the k&n on the end. the pod sits at the front right next to the battery and theres abit of power loss from 0-60km, but after that it runs a bit quicker. it is worth tryin to put some heat resistant plastic to sheild a bit of engine heat or moving the piping? movin the battery is prob a bit extreme?

GenV
15-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Check out www.preludeaustralia.com.
I'm sure theres plenty of guys in your shoes....

LUD02C
16-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Anything over 2.5 inchs on a 3rd Gen Prelude (exhaust wise) you loose power. Dyno proved on a 1990 Prelude in front of my eyes.

I had a 2.25 from cat back, and then got a new cat and custom extractors.

Difference?
Low level torque was good between 1,200rpm to 3,700rpm and it was breathing alot better.

edw-R
25-11-2004, 05:50 PM
You can try cold air intake. It may help you to get cold air. 2.25" exhaust is good size for NA car. Good luck!!

spiller
30-11-2004, 10:00 PM
i have recently put a 2.25 inch exhaust catback on my 3rd Gen prelude. There was a slight increase in the power but without a resinator it sounded like crap. I took it back to the shop and they fitted a Lukey resinator. The power increased again. Probabaly around 5kw increase at the most.

Hawk
08-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Anything over 2.5 inchs on a 3rd Gen Prelude (exhaust wise) you loose power. Dyno proved on a 1990 Prelude in front of my eyes.

I had a 2.25 from cat back, and then got a new cat and custom extractors.

Difference?
Low level torque was good between 1,200rpm to 3,700rpm and it was breathing alot better.

This statemant is true AS LONG AS u r running a relitively STOCK 3rd gen lude. Don't group all 3rd gens in one boat.

As for the sucking hot air. Every 4 degrees u lower the air temp is approx 1% power increase.

elude
08-12-2004, 10:30 PM
yea, thanks dudes. i think the cold air intake mod is pritty useless on a 3rd gen cause there is just no room to put it to intake cold air, without moving the battery. think i'll just redo stock pipin with a K&N. 2.25 exhaust piping sounds like a go.
plus have you ever heard a really nice sounding exhaust on a 3rd gen lude; they all seem to groan untill 4000revs. agree?

mbilic
12-12-2004, 03:10 PM
shecomb is right about the power the exhaust will give u....
might be worth saving up for a set of extractors too, that'll probably give u an extra 10-20kw

elude
18-12-2004, 11:48 AM
well guys i got the exhaust fitted...and the pod moved behind the battery. the 2.25 exhaust breaths alot easyier but power increase is slight...almost fu*ck all!

elude
18-12-2004, 12:02 PM
or yea and i didnt get a hot dog put in. after about 4000revs the exhaust sounds really raspey...
will a hotdog stop this rasp or only stop camber groan at higher speeds??

preludacris
19-12-2004, 01:04 AM
20kw from a header sounds kinda optomistic on an atmo engine dont u think??

oh and Hawk is correct about the 2.5 inch piping......as it would be way to big on a stock engine and would lose power. But on a fully worked engine, 2.5 inches would probably be more suitable

Best bang for buk.....NOS!!!.......but go the usual intake/header/exhaust mate!

shecomb
20-12-2004, 07:08 AM
It will be raspy because its new....

As carbon builds up it will loose the rasp :)

bender
20-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know another alternative to a pod filter which I did to my accord. Rather then getting a pod filter I got a k&n high flow panel filter which fits right inside the standard air box. Then I got a flexible 3" pipe, cut a 3" hole in my air box, put one end of the pipe in the box and the other end just behind my grill. I put a bit of mesh on the end of the pipe behind the grill to filter out any nasty things from getting into the engine. It is more responsive and there is a little bit of a power gain, makes a cool noise too :)

Oldman
20-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know another alternative to a pod filter which I did to my accord. Rather then getting a pod filter I got a k&n high flow panel filter which fits right inside the standard air box. Then I got a flexible 3" pipe, cut a 3" hole in my air box, put one end of the pipe in the box and the other end just behind my grill. I put a bit of mesh on the end of the pipe behind the grill to filter out any nasty things from getting into the engine. It is more responsive and there is a little bit of a power gain, makes a cool noise too :)

Totally agreed with your idea. A bit of gain with less $$ spend. The stock filter will work the same.
For % gain from mod, read this:
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm

JDM Element
21-12-2004, 01:34 AM
wow what an innovative idea bender!!
good shit mate!

hope that pipe is heat resistant!

bender
21-12-2004, 11:27 AM
It can handel a little bit of heat but i have it kept away from hot places, had it on for a month or so now and it is still going fine :)

JDM Element
23-12-2004, 03:00 AM
good job, keep it up!

just goes to show, u can add power here and there by doing DIY jobs for minimum $$

Anyways, i think this thread has gone a lil off course...

Tuintegra
27-12-2004, 02:40 PM
k i'll get it back on course for ya mate! :thumbsup:

Hrm very interesting, yea wat pod u got?

DeFunkeD
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey, I've got a lil bit of an idea.

Use one of these, or some thing like it: http://www.visracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1419

There's a smallish hole from your engine bay to the cavity in the side panel; a couple of wires run through it to the right indicator etc, but dont take up much of the hole. Have your piping and pod (or box) straight to the left of your bay and use ducting between hole and filter (seal it well so you dont draw air from engine bay).

What does everyone think about that???

joyride
06-01-2005, 12:26 PM
As for the sucking hot air. Every 4 degrees u lower the air temp is approx 1% power increase.how do you figure that? im interested to know :)