PDA

View Full Version : Car with HIGH km's

jaylah
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey,

Was wondering if anybody can throw out somes pros/cons on buying a car with very very high km's on the body but a renewed engine. And also, is it worth it?

Cheers

EK1.6LCIV
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
depends on history

like my car for example it has high ks but everything that needs doing gets done on time no exception, reciepts a mile high and work not done in house is by shops that have been in the game for decades

who renewed the engine? look for loads of reciepts and what parts were used, if it looks sus, walk away lol

ks do affect the value to insurance companies tho for some reason unfortunately so if its modified they will give u a lower value to insure it (sadly u'd pay the same premium on a 96' model with 100k as one with 200k lol)

jaylah
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Just throwing the question out in general, not specific.
Assuming everything is in perfect lol, oh and just the engine replaced, not every single part

EK1.6LCIV
10-07-2009, 11:28 AM
sounds like one of the many cars a mate of mine has bought, its a 5050 story

It'll ethier be awesome or shit, but for the right price its worth the gamble

JohnL
10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Just throwing the question out in general, not specific.

Your question can't be answered generally, only on a case by case basis.

Assuming everything is in perfect lol, oh and just the engine replaced, not every single part

Then in this specific case, it should be good...

dwn_boi
10-07-2009, 11:52 AM
what car is it you want? arent there ones with lower km? how many km are you talking about?

as long as there are recipets to prove the maintenance and engine replacement you should be fine, maybe the engine has a warrenty on it?

jaylah
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
ok thanks guys.
Few other questions:
1. Is signs of rust on the sunroof a really bad thing?
2. Is faded paint a bad thing too? I mean like can u just repaint it, or is it the metal deforming or something?

Typhoontimmy
10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Rust is a big issue... I wouldnt touch anything with rust in it, cars with sunroofs are very prone to rust in that area aswell.

Faded paint is just from the sun and elements usally, or bat/bird shit seems to do that too.

jaylah
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
So does that mean the metal part on the sunroof will eventually jsut collapse. Is it corrosion or something totally different lol

JohnL
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Rust can be a minor irritation or a major problem. If the rust is coming through from inside the panel then it's a big deal. If it's just surface rust on the outside of the panel then you can usually just ignore it, if you can deal with it being unsightly.

Surface rust can be sanded back to bare / clean metal and repainted, rust coming through from the inside needs to be cut out and new metal welded into place, a much bigger job that can be a huge job depending on where the rust is and how much of it there is (and there is usually more than you initially think, often a lot more).

If the sunroof is a movable metal panel (mine's glass), then it might not be hard to replace it...

jaylah
10-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks guy, you've been a great help

JohnL
10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I hope the rust is only minor. I once owned an Alfa Romeo that just rusted out from underneath me, the cancer was just everywher, the car had to be euthanaised, I cried...