PDA

View Full Version : Gen II CRX

bird
08-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Just a quick question, do the b16a fit into the gen II crx? and if so would it be better to turbo the b16a or the standard d16a. thanks for your help.

Mr. Focus
08-11-2004, 08:36 AM
yes you can put a b16a into a gen 2. some even come out with that engine (SiR's). personally i would do the 'd' but others will tell you to go with the 'b'. also for more info, go to www.crxaustralia.com

SINISTR
08-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Just a quick question, do the b16a fit into the gen II crx? and if so would it be better to turbo the b16a or the standard d16a. thanks for your help.

As Mr.Focus said CRXAUSTRALIA will have heaps of info on that for u if you do a search on the forums.

To fit a b16a into your D16 series, you need the engine and GB - you will need engine mounts, drive shafts and shifter linkages. thats just the basics - theres ofcourse more to think about when you decide which B16A motor you will want to fit, a B16A1 or B16A2 - one is cable and the other hydraulic clutch - which decission of putting in a hydro ads onto the modification since your CRX is cable in the first instance.

There are many guys on CRXAUSTRALIA as well who have in their time turbo charged the D16s (ZCs)... so basically the decision is up to you but the most common question needs to be asked - HOW much Power u wanna make!

Mike

bird
08-11-2004, 11:35 AM
im not to sure on how much power, but i got a quote to do it all and they were asking 15k, turbo,fmic,injectors,surge tank,forged internals,exhaust manifold,computer,exhaust, etc pretty much everything. Is that a good price? i got about 23k to spend in cluding the car.

Mr. Focus
08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
another site you might wanna chek out is www.d-series.org these guys worship the 'd'. as sinistr said, how much power you lookin at ar are ya just after the BOV sound. apparently greddy mkes a kit for the 'd' pushin about 8psi without internal workthrough or ya can buy parts seperately

SiR CRX
08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
As people have said the B16A does fit without any hassle but it is an expensive conversion. I have an SiR myself which I imported from Japan. It has the B16A in it and like I have said previously I am very surprised by its performance in stock form. However if I was in your position I would probably go with the turbo conversion, you will end up with a quicker car than you would have with an n/a B16A and those engines are easier to turbo than VTEC's which can often be a pain. I am gathering from your posts that you don't yet own a CRX. Why don't you consider importing an SiR from Japan? They come with heaps better features than the Australian model such as a glass roof and climate control and of course the B16A engine. You can get one for about $8000 - $9000 registered and on road. Check out www.prestigemotorsport.com.au for more details. I suggest you email him and tell him what you are interested in, Geoff is a very nice guy and he will give you tons of info regarding the procedure.

Peace.

SINISTR
08-11-2004, 01:50 PM
23K is a Very NICE budget!

there is a CRX currenlty on Ebay selling for about 5K (unknown reserve) - its a 1987 import since its got rear seats and a glass roof with a 136000kms on the clock - might be worth investing into that so you save yourself some money.

for a B16A conversion you are looking at the better side of 5K including the engine. For a Propper turbo upgrade you won't get much change from 10K (15K seems a little steep I think). Turbo you will get better performace obviously, but with that comes more hassle with rebuilds, fuel consumption etc - but an explosive pocket rocket.

On the B16A side u can always upgrade cams, fly wheel, ecu, compression etc etc and will still Surprise alot of cars! if you do end up spending around 10K on the car you will have about 13K left - might be worth looking into a B18C if you want the N/A power with heaps of kick... but once again - you won't have much left of the 13K from a B18C.

CRX-Ando
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM

Acquire your ride first & we'll ascertain which path would be most beneficial to your needs from there mate...the B16A will have no dramas fitting in as the CRX SiR model came out with it...what did you want to achieve with your CRX once acquired though? If boosted, how much did you want to run in regards to extracting horsepower? Internals aren't cheap if you plan on running in excess of 10psi...your financial disposition might dictate how you're tackling this predicament...my advice to you is to not cut corners...do it right first time & afford the best you can...digest all the info in front of you & go from there...good luck with it & all the best mate...keep us updated...

Setanta
08-11-2004, 05:31 PM
For the money you have, import a '89 EF8 SiR. It's the only SiR you can get into the country by using the 15 year rule (SiR's wern't released until '89). That will give you a decent platform to start with.

If you go to B16A in an Aussie spec 'rex, the motor will fit fine - but you'll need custom engine mounts. However - if I was doing it, I'd bypass the get an ED9 Aussie spec Si - then drop in a K series motor (with custom mounts).

Mr. Focus
09-11-2004, 09:44 AM
has anyone local done a k20a conversion into a crx yet? i'd be very keen to see it!

egSi
09-11-2004, 09:56 AM
has anyone local done a k20a conversion into a crx yet? i'd be very keen to see it!

i think the only k swap that is running atm is the k20 drag eg. BUT i bet theres like heaps of em round gettin done......

Setanta
09-11-2004, 02:32 PM
K swaps have been done in the US - there's a 4G Civic that went up for sale on ebay with it done.

i_own_you
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
yeh pacman CRX has k20a in the US. i wouldnt call this one your everyday street racer.
------------------------
wouldnt that set you back around 20gs for a convertion here in australia?