PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Caliper Bolt

repsorp
11-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Er, um, rounded off one of the brake caliper bolts today and now can't change pads as the bolt resembles a knob and not a nut. Does anyone have any tips on how I can coax the second bolt out so that I can replace it? It's the bottom bolt. Top bolt comes out fine. I have a 1996 Civic Gli Sedan.

Thanks

e240
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Use a vice grip, lock onto the nut and try and get it off.

But are you talking about the bolt holding the caliper to the hub, or the bolt that holds the slider in place?

repsorp
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi E240, i probably should've said that I attacked it with vice grips which only made things worse. not the best quality grips. will try with a new grip tomorrow. basically removing the bolt which holds the slider (i think) which has the cylinder built into it. What's the next step if a new "quality" vice grip fails?
Thanks for the advice so far :)

PS, Go Webber!!

Mr_will
12-07-2009, 12:09 AM
you dont need to take the top bolt out.

once you get the bottom one out the caliper swings up and you can change the pads.

as for the rounded bolt, i agree with the vice grips call

repsorp
12-07-2009, 12:17 AM
sweet but it is bottom one which is stuck, tried swinging it down but obviously didn't try enough.

i luv being a noob..... lol

Cheers

e240
12-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi E240, i probably should've said that I attacked it with vice grips which only made things worse. not the best quality grips. will try with a new grip tomorrow. basically removing the bolt which holds the slider (i think) which has the cylinder built into it. What's the next step if a new "quality" vice grip fails?
Thanks for the advice so far :)
PS, Go Webber!!

Good quality tools are always a good investment.

For you next action, I suggest taking out the whole caliper and attacking it then with the vice grip in a bench. Working it with the caliper in place makes it abit difficult for leverage. It would however, mean that you'd need to bleed the braking system again.

If that fails, and with the caliper off, you can grind off the head of the rounded bolt, take the slider off and you should have the end bolt sticking out, which you can then attack with the vice grip again..

good luck

geeang
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Another option would be to get a rotary tool with a cutting disc and cut a notch into the head of the bolt, then try and undo the bolt with a flathead screwdriver (big one), then you just need to replace the bolt and make sure it doesn't happen a second time :D

Limbo
13-07-2009, 12:18 AM
other way is to drill the top of the bolt off. You usually find the thread is easy to twist out with a sharp tipped object.

Honda sell replacement bolt for $3 each, i broke some once ;)