PDA

View Full Version : Importing ek9

stevey
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
what you guys think about importing a ek9 from japland. will cost me about 10-11k to get it here then insurance ext. give us your thoughts.

cheerz steve:honda:

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I'll be honest.

You should have searched on teh subject.

Now that I'm done doing the douche bag thing.

IF you manage to get a EK9 in australia (Legally) it could be quiet good.

Though, in reality, you could buy a cheap ass GL and just replicate from there...?

Well, I know the nostalga of a EK9 Yo isn't the same with a GL EK1 Yo but it does vary person to person.

There are a fair few members who have authentic EK9's and they love them

Joni
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
yeah i would agree with shogunovddrk not only would it be hard to import in, it would be really hard to get compliance for it! do what most of the boys do and just replica ek9 it that way its legal and you wouldnt have to worry about all paper works and all. plus insurance on a ek9 would be hell just to imagine.
but goodluck mate ek9's ftw.

Red_EG4
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
You can only import one via the Personal Import scheme.
ie living overseas for atleast 12 months and proving that you have driven and maintained the vehicle for that time.

90LAN
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
or if you have a cams licence

redefine
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM

afaik, then you still cant road register it. you can only use it for track days etc.

someone should sticky the ek9 import thing.

90LAN
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
he just says he wants to import not rego the ek9

Mr_will
12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
he just says he wants to import not rego the ek9

since you cant really insure race only cars it, and he spoke of insurance, a smart person would probably realise that he meant he wants to register it as well

Red_EG4
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM

if we're going into that we can probably say if you have a wreckers license too.

90LAN
12-07-2009, 02:58 PM
since you cant really insure race only cars it, and he spoke of insurance, a smart person would probably realise that he meant he wants to register it as well

well a smarter person would realise he is actually talking about import insurance on the car

you can insure anything you ship against damage and loss

but a lesser smart person wouldnt know that would they

Red_EG4
12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
well a smarter person would realise he is actually talking about import insurance on the car

you can insure anything you ship against damage and loss

but a lesser smart person wouldnt know that would they

he said '10-11K to get it here then insurance'
Sounds to me like shipping insurance would be included in the '10-11K to get it here'.

stevey will be able to clear this up though, hopefully.

90LAN
12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
he said '10-11K to get it here then insurance'
Sounds to me like shipping insurance would be included in the '10-11K to get it here'.

stevey will be able to clear this up though, hopefully.

yep thanks
best to just do it
no need for other peoples opinion
then you can tell fellow ozhonda members how to do it
and if it was worth while

Red_EG4
12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
yep thanks
best to just do it
no need for other peoples opinion
then you can tell fellow ozhonda members how to do it
and if it was worth while
to tell you how worthwhile it is to wait for the member to clear up confusion about his question?
Ok sure I'll let you know.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
olawd.

2" flacid argument, isle 12.

stevey
12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
ill give you guys an example of what im looking for and how much they are going for.

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/honda/civic+type+r/386359/

shipping it over here costs 2k and compliance is about 1k.juss so use have an idea.

geeang
12-07-2009, 07:54 PM
ill give you guys an example of what im looking for and how much they are going for.

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/honda/civic+type+r/386359/

shipping it over here costs 2k and compliance is about 1k.juss so use have an idea.

You can look at those all you want, but if you want to be able to register and drive it on the street, then you need to move overseas and own one in another country for 12 months before you can bring it over as a personal import.

90LAN
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
how are you going to compliance ?
you still have to pay customs tax too
and they wont let you sent a complete car
unless you have correct paperwork
if you try you will have a fun time with customs

stevey
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
my brother imported a r33 GTR through his good mate which will help me out when i want to bring one in.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Get the Grinder out and do it.

You've got a ek1 already to pick the pieces up with.

^Sounds good

geeang
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
my brother imported a r33 GTR through his good mate which will help me out when i want to bring one in.

Either way, through the current import scheme, you can't import an EK9 unless you cut it in half and import it as halfcuts.

To be able to LEGALLY import one and have it street legal, you need to own it overseas for 12 months, saying that looks like you don't really know how to import a car properly :zip:

stevey
12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
so ur saying u cannot import it without it being half cuts iz that correct?? because that sounds pritty stupid if you ask me!!!! if it is that hard too import cars as you are saying why doo people import them????

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
*palm face*

Please, please, please, please tell me you searched around here before making this thread, PLEASE!!!!

p.s, aren't all skyrines imports anyway?

90LAN
12-07-2009, 08:11 PM
well australian car industry tries to protect its own

they had a sook before and now the government has to regulate the import car industry

so companies like holden and ford dont fo bust and lose out on sales to more better japanese cars

alot of red tape
but i guess you didnt know like alot of people on this forum about importing cars
if it was easy as buying and shipping
everyman and his dog would have a nice import car

Red_EG4
12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
well australian car industry tries to protect its own

they had a sook before and now the government has to regulate the import car industry

so companies like holden and ford dont fo bust and lose out on sales to more better japanese cars

alot of red tape
but i guess you didnt know like alot of people on this forum about importing cars
if it was easy as buying and shipping
everyman and his dog would have a nice import car
This x100.
If it was so easy to import an EK9 why don't we all have one?
But I also think it is to protect local dealers of import brands also, if everyone could import an EK9 why buy an EK4 from Honda Australia?

so ur saying u cannot import it without it being half cuts iz that correct?? because that sounds pritty stupid if you ask me!!!! if it is that hard too import cars as you are saying why doo people import them????
You should look into the import laws and regulations to get yourself a greater understanding.
Because the EK9 is very similar to the EK4, which was sold in large enough numbers through dealers, it wasn't allowed for grey import.
Skylines and silvias etc weren't sold through Australian dealers hence why they are allowed in.

yellows2k
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
stevey, its obvious that u havent done any research into the sevs import rules and regulations.
in a nutshell, certain cars that share the same platform as australian manufactured and sold cars such as the audi b5 rs4, mitsubishi evo 9, forester sti and the civic ek9 to name only a few cannot be imported into australia without satisfying various and numerous criteria.
however, if it is a vehicle that wasnt sold locally, such as the the soarers, numerous skylines, and all those funky delica vans and what not, then they r much more lax in their import regulations.

essentially, if u wanted to import said ek9 and rego it legally, then as mentioned numerous times, u need to satisfy the residency and ownership criteria overseas (nz and japan or uk, etc)
as it stands, what ur proposing is a pipe dream, but hold on to that dream, cos its as close as ur gonna get

4age8u
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
no this is how you do it allright LOL go to nz lol buy an ek9 of a nz owner keep it under thier name tell them to ship it here in aus under thier name so technically theyve owned it for more than a year..then when i comes here make is so like he imported it then sold it to you here ..

hisoka
12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
no this is how you do it allright LOL go to nz lol buy an ek9 of a nz owner keep it under thier name tell them to ship it here in aus under thier name so technically theyve owned it for more than a year..then when i comes here make is so like he imported it then sold it to you here ..

doesnt work buddy~ they have to legitemently be moving here and have a perminent residency to australia before there car can come in (holding the right visas)

anyway to the OP if you have to ask a question like how to import ek9 or can i import a ek9 and rego it for road use, its like a 99% chance you do not know what you are doing and you will get caught

. the only way YOU will be able to get one is to offer a large amount of money to someone who already has purchased one and is registered here from a personal import.

stevey
12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks guys for your input!!!!! will take into account and i will hold on to my dream lol maybe 1 day ay....

Joni
13-07-2009, 01:23 PM
just gli ek9 replica =D no problems

underbelly
14-07-2009, 01:25 PM
To the OP, this topic gets discussed all the time on here. It always concludes with personal import being the only way, however, from reading and doing research on here, a few of the street driven EK9s in Oz are re-birthed EK1/EK4s.