PDA

View Full Version : how does medicare cover work?

FASN8U
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
hey guys , just curious about how do things work with motorbike inuries (as they can be pretty serious).

sorry if the questions are obvious to some but im generaly just not sure.
if you have a stack is your medical coverd somewhat by medicare?
if your liscenced but riding a non P plater legal bike are you still coverd medicaly?

basicaly what ive been told is if i break my leg its gonna cost me through the roof because technicaly im not supposed to riding the bike. i find it hard to beleive so if anyone could shed some light on this topic wood be great

geeang
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Just sounds like common sense to me, if you're injure riding something you were never supposed to be riding, then everything is on you.

They're not going to cover something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

rodericb
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Usually the injuries from an accident are covered by the state - in Vic it's the Transport Accident Commision. This is what the insurance portion of registrations pays for. However I'd advise against riding a bike you're not licenced for as you'll not be covered by any insurance on the vehicle for damage to it or anything you end up colliding with. You may find that when medical staff hear about how you did get injured they mightn't be so enthusiastic to help you either. Better just to wait the year or two or whatever until you've got the proper licence!

90LAN
13-07-2009, 06:59 AM
well if you have private health insurance you will be covered
if you dont you will have to pay or wait in line in the public health system
or put up with your injuries
and pay for fines for riding unlicensed

kriZy
13-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, interesting Topic. Keep it up! i'd also like to know anything extra.

FASN8U
13-07-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks for the input guys , much appreciated. yer ive got private health cover

bennjamin
13-07-2009, 06:39 PM
if you ride illegally (wrong license or wrong bike) then you are technically riding without a license. You will get some coverage to yourself im sure , but injure something or someone else and you will be in deep shit.

Zilli
13-07-2009, 08:33 PM
where are you located, as in what state?

FLICK
13-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Ask Medicare :thumbsup:

FASN8U
13-07-2009, 08:40 PM
im in vic zilli, yer i spoke to someone i no they said its based on reigstration and if ur an australian citizen (in which i am)

Zilli
13-07-2009, 09:41 PM
VIC has a no fault scheme for coverage of injuries resultant from an accident as far as i know, which means you will be covered for your injuries and the injuries sustained by anyone in an accident... regardless of whether you were doing something illegal or not.... but you MAY be considering contributory to the accident which will reduce your covered amount...

Dont take my words as gospel as im not 100% on the injury scheme with the roads and traffic authrity in VIC... i'd call VicRoads and ask them... if you have personal health insurance you will be covered depending on your level of coverage for your medical bills...

The statutory injury scheme SHOULD cover you for the injuries you cause to others

Call VicRoads man

FASN8U
13-07-2009, 09:46 PM
VIC has a no fault scheme for coverage of injuries resultant from an accident as far as i know, which means you will be covered for your injuries and the injuries sustained by anyone in an accident... regardless of whether you were doing something illegal or not.... but you MAY be considering contributory to the accident which will reduce your covered amount...

Dont take my words as gospel as im not 100% on the injury scheme with the roads and traffic authrity in VIC... i'd call VicRoads and ask them... if you have personal health insurance you will be covered depending on your level of coverage for your medical bills...

The statutory injury scheme SHOULD cover you for the injuries you cause to others

Call VicRoads man

yer i rang vicroads , ive been given prety much the same info youve given , so thanks for confirming that i really apreciate it .

Twincam16
14-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Why dont u just stick to riding a LAMS approved bike?

FASN8U
14-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Why dont u just stick to riding a LAMS approved bike?

cause im a mad****

Zilli
14-07-2009, 06:01 PM
just bear in mind also if you drop that lovely bike and it gets lodged under the front of a Merc... insurance means jack shit... so your up for the repair costs to any other property the bike could damage

FASN8U
14-07-2009, 06:03 PM
You're the type of dumb**** that rides something he's not supposed to, and puts everyone else on the road in danger.

Ask for advice in regards to doing something illegal on a public forum and expect to get shit about it mate.

im not endangering anyone else just because its illegal. i bet you have illegal mods on your car so does that mean there endagering other people to? no .

anyway you dont no my situation so mind your own fkn buisness and dont post negative crap in my thread. if you have a problem with what im doing then say it in a constructive way dont act like a hero.

good day sir.

geeang
14-07-2009, 06:21 PM
im not endangering anyone else just because its illegal. i bet you have illegal mods on your car so does that mean there endagering other people to? no .

anyway you dont no my situation so mind your own fkn buisness and dont post negative crap in my thread. if you have a problem with what im doing then say it in a constructive way dont act like a hero.

good day sir.

Are you really that thick? So you honestly think a P-plater illegally riding a bike more powerful than he's supposed to won't put anyone else in danger?

And you're the one calling me a hero, while you're thinking you're a mad**** for doing this.

FASN8U
14-07-2009, 07:07 PM
lol i was saying im a mad**** to be a smartass relax!
im not rossi or stoner but ive ridden bikes since the age of 5 , thers no way im getting a roadbike that has less power than my track bike lol or the 450 i bash around on the farm

bennjamin
14-07-2009, 09:31 PM
who cares how long you have been riding "on private property" - you WILL be (assuming) breaking the law. FYI riding around on farms is different to the open road. You need the experience on road with real traffic and conditions to become a better more experienced rider. Hence the new lengthier P laws etc.

Hang in there , go thru your L's and new P plate rules....then get a unrestricted license and ride whatever you want.

Twincam16
16-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Closed - No discussions of illegal riding/driving on OzHonda